IGNORED

Steel or Graphite Iron Dilemma

Note: This thread is 6609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello to all from a new member! Here's my background: I am 51.5 years old, 6'4" 215 lbs, in decent shape, had successful disk surgery in 1995 and returned to golf in 2005 after a 15 year absence.

I am a consistent 30 handicapper, who hits drives about 240 yards (total carry) with 95 mph swing speed / 7 iron about 140 yards with 65-75 mph swing / 6 iron about 150 yards with 75-80 mph swing speed.

Every once in awhile I'll get off a monster shot such as 270 yard drive, or a 175 yard 6 iron. If I ride in a cart, I can easily play 3 rounds in 4 days. If I walk the course and pull my clubs, I am very stiff after the round and the next day.

I had been playing Tour Edge HP-3 steel irons (1 inch over, 2 degrees upright, stiff flex) and recently went for a fitting in which the pro suggested graphite Callaway X-18 (stiff flex). I tried the club and it feels good, but the steel X-18 feels good too. The clubfitter's rationale is that the graphites will be less stressful on my back, and given my skill level, age, are the right choice. My buddies at work tell me that I have a strong swing and should stay with steel.

Can I please have some opinions on this from you all who know much more than I do? Will using graphites actually make my lower back feel less stressed after 18 rounds? Will I lose what little consistency I have? Will I gain much distance? Should I get custom shafts, like lightweight steel?

In other words...what should I do? My goal is to golf 3 times per week this year and try to break 100. Thanks to everyone for reading this long post.

Ken

• Administrator
Every once in awhile I'll get off a monster shot such as 270 yard drive, or a 175 yard 6 iron. If I ride in a cart, I can easily play 3 rounds in 4 days. If I walk the course and pull my clubs, I am very stiff after the round and the next day.

So it seems that walking is what causes the problems, not the golf. Right?

I had been playing Tour Edge HP-3 steel irons (1 inch over, 2 degrees upright, stiff flex) and recently went for a fitting in which the pro suggested graphite Callaway X-18 (stiff flex). I tried the club and it feels good, but the steel X-18 feels good too. The clubfitter's rationale is that the graphites will be less stressful on my back, and given my skill level, age, are the right choice. My buddies at work tell me that I have a strong swing and should stay with steel.

Graphites won't be less stressful on your back - just your wrists and elbows. They'll help you generated a tad more swing speed, too, cuz they're lighter. But on your back... that doesn't make much sense. Seems like someone's trying to make a sale.

I'm reading this: Hurts when you walk Doesn't hurt when you ride Doesn't seem to have much to do with shafts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Graphite will be easier on your body and I think it will help you break 100 because you will be more consistent and hit the ball further. The salesperson probably wanted to imply that graphite will be benefitial for your health, when he said back. Also try other irons like the taylor mades, or the srixons or mizunos. The mizuno mx 23 goes really far and is very light so I recommend that to anyone that isn't tiger woods, lol. Try some of the other game improvement clubs.

Sounds like the walking is the problem not the clubs. I like steel in my irons, if you have a 95 swing speed and you really want to spend some money, I'd suggest either buy clubs with regular shafts or if you really like the irons you have get those reshafted to reg.
Even with reg shafts if you get the swing speed over 100 once in awhile you'll still be ok.
Is it the walking or pulling/pushing the pull cart or do you carry the bag?

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I pull a pull cart when I play. The thing that bothers me the next day is general stiffness in my lower back. Not horrible, but could not play a round of golf, thats for sure.

My old irons (Tour Edge HP3) weighed 110g. The X18 graphite weigh 85g. I am considering switching to X18 steel with either uniflex (112g) or True Temper TX90 (107g).

The graphite is "mid" torque, the uniflex / TX90 is "low" torque. What does this mean to me?

Maybe I am thinking too much about this and should just go with the 85g graphites.

So many options, If you walked and didn't have to pull a cart would your back bother you? can try this, when your with a partner riding put the clubs on the cart and you walk the round. If you have no back pain and want to walk find an electric cart with a remote and enjoy. check e-bay or find someone that has one and no longer plays.
Walking and pulling a cart you end up leaning forward pushing or pulling putting alot of pressure on the lower back and that may be causing the back pain. Hope it's from the leaning and not your back going out.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons

Yes, I agree. The clubfitter told me that walking about 4 miles with your right hand extended pulling a cart is bound to put stress on your lower back, which is one of the reasons he suggested graphite irons.

My guess the weight between the two would be less than a pound and a half for the whole set of clubs. You would still have an aching back pulling the graphite clubs.
He's just pushing a sale.
Anyone know the difference in total weight between graphite and steel irons of equal number of clubs in a set?

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons

i don't know the weight but it is not that significant. You are obviously going to swing faster with the graphite b/c it is a lighter shaft than steel and they are a lot more forgiving, but if i were you i would get another opinion from a golf pro at another course.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Sorry Neudi, use missed the question in the post. It's not about swinging the clubs but overall weight between the sets he would be pulling while walking with a pull cart. The fitter told him the graphite would be lighter than steel to pull and implyed his back would not hurt if he bought new clubs. I think that fitter is nuts and only looking for a sale.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons

Oh, ok. In that case the whole half a pound is really not going to do anything. lol. Yes, he is just trying to make a sale then.
What's In The Bag?

Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I just bought the X-18 w/steel uniflex. The other set I have been using for years are Top Flite Tour TI w/graphite muscle shafts.

I loved my Top Flites but I also love my X-18's. I never tried the X-18's in graphite but sometimes wish I would have. It seems like my old graphite clubs have a little bit of a smoother feel to them when they are hit off center.

The X-18's are longer than my old set and I don't even swing them as hard. It seems the ball flight is better and further when I don't swing as hard. Now I hit an 8I from 150 when I used to hit a 7I. It could possibly be the steel shaft making the difference but I think it's the technology in the new clubs.

If your other clubs are older then you will definetly get better distance with the X-18's. I would find some with graphite shafts to try out. Then see which one feels better to you.

Ricky

I made the switch this year to graphite... TM RAC HT irons...
I find my swing is smoother, less effort, less impact....
I believe they will ease your back distress...
I also went to GP Durometer gips, which I love!
I also switched to a 'stroller', 3 wheel PUSH cart !
I lot less fatigue by the last 3 holes...
this might also help your back!
BTW I'm 56 so we are similar in age...
ALSO
The clubs you buy are for the future...
I like the idea of the shafts doing more of the work for me.
I figure my new graphite irons are good for the next 5-7 years!

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

Thanks...good info. I am going to visit another pro tomorrow and give him my stats (see original post) and get his opinion (Uniflex, graphite, True Temper). To be honest, they all feel good to me.

That push cart is an intriguing idea...never thought of that but it makes lot of sense.

We have a set of those slingshots in our proshop and the sound they make when you swing them is crazy...the air gets in the hollow space in the back of the club and it sounds like a high pitch whistle.
What's In The Bag?

• Administrator
My guess the weight between the two would be less than a pound and a half for the whole set of clubs. You would still have an aching back pulling the graphite clubs.

250 grams (10 irons, 110grams versus 85 gram shafts, ignoring small differences in clubhead weight...): 0.55 pounds. So very little difference at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!