IGNORED

Should I change to a Tour Driver?

Note: This thread is 6584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive posted a thread or two about my inability to hit the driver straight. (Constant hooks with it). This is not happening with my irons, just the driver. (I play with a Callaway 454 Firm RCH Shaft) Mind you last year with the same driver I was splitting fairways and hitting it long). This year hasnt been the same case at all. Taken 5 lessons now and still nothing. Seems like when I am setting up the face looks so closed. I know that may be mental but I hit the Ping G5 with a regular shaft for a round a few weeks back and hit every fairway and hit it long. The face looked so much more square at address for me and I even had a slight fade on the ball. My swing is probably around 95-100 mph. (I havent been fitted). Alls Im asking is would it help me with a square face on my driver and if so what are some drivers out there that have a square face at address (Not sure if this is called a Tour Driver, correct me please if its not). Gotten to the point I keep the driver in the bag and tee off with a 3 iron. Funny enough the score hasnt really suffered much at all from this.

I know without seeing my swing and knowing other things its hard to make a judgment.

P.S. Erik, I would have submitted my swing long ago but I cant get any shots of it face on at the range, theres a divider in the way. I know I submitted my swing "down the line" in a thread long ago. My swing has changed a bit from that from the lessons that I am taking. Oh and Happy Easter to all you guys.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

For that reason I got out of callaway drivers. Not just myself, but many people notice the appearance of a closed face on callaway drivers, specifically in my case the GBBII 415, and the 454. Anway I dont know how closed the face really is at address, but appearance was enough for me. I definitely feel more comfortable on the tee with a driver that has more of an open face.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

I checked the specs on Callaways website and it says that the face is square. But I have to say looking down at the club it appears 1 or 2 degrees closed. What are some quality drivers out there that you guys play that have a square face at address.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Yea thats what I was saying, although the driver may be square at address, when placed down next to another driver it looks "closed". Therefore, I would either weaken my grip or change my stance in order to make it seem like the clubface was square, it was throwing me off visually. Right now I am playing the Titleist 905R and if you put it down next to a 454, it would look open, but it is pretty square. I have also played with the Taylormade r7 TP with a 0.5 degree open face and that was real nice. Pretty much any driver not meant to "cure" a slice, or made my callaway will have a face that appears to be more square.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

• Administrator
Try some lead tape. It's cheaper than a new driver and it can always be removed. To straighten out a hook put a couple of strips on the heel and swing away

That's backwards. You want it on the toe (so the toe lags behind because it's heavier). It's cheap, yes, but you need a good bit of it (at least 4 grams or so, which is eight 2" strips, I believe...?).

Anyway, the 905R, the HiBore, and a few other drivers have all appeared closed to me. The HiBore recently was the worst. To hit it straight, you may have to lay the face open a little bit. Literally point it right of your target. This is a temporary thing meant to tell you one thing: if it's the face angle that's getting you or some mental thing. Note that this isn't just rotating the face open in your hands - you have to grip it while it's open too or else you haven't accomplished anything. If you suddenly start hitting great shots again laying the face open, I'd buy a different driver as it's likely closed. "Laying your driver open" is no way to hit consistent drives, so that's what I recommend. My miss has always been left more than right, so that's why I get the TP drivers from TaylorMade and the "Tour" models or fade-biased or neutral drivers from others. Be careful too because sometimes a "neutral" driver (like yours) is actually anti-slice to some degree.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!