IGNORED

Handicap

Wood
Note: This thread is 6597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've downloaded and used a handicapping program for some time now, and it does use the USGA formulas for coming up with my handicap. It will even print out a handicap card with the last 20 scores, home course handicap, etc.

My problem is I've finally gotten "good" enough to start playing in some local tournaments, and I don't have an actual USGA handicap. I've searched around the internet, and have seen the sites that you "join a club of online golfers," but I'm skeptical of the legitimacy of these sites, especially when they are asking for credit card numbers for the fees.

Has anyone gone through this, or do you know any good sites for this service? Maybe it's time for the Sandtrap to have it's own club with handicapping available to members!

Thanks- Wood
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

In one league I subbed in a few years ago they would handicap you for a fee. Having a USGA handicap is definetely a plus, I went to Scotland a few years ago and even if the wife was not with me I would not have been able to golf on some courses. They had a handicap requirement to get on them.

BTW - Where did you get the handicap software from? was it freeware? My handicap is only based on my last years final handicap and would like to compute for everywhere I play even though it won't be a 4, I would still like to know what it is.
IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

It is a Golf Handicapper for Microsoft Excel program. Someone told me about it, and I just Googled it. It was free for 30 days, then I coughed up like 19 bucks for the lifetime version with free updates. If I weren't such a moron, I'm sure I could plug in the formulas, but for $19, why try.

Funny- I don't care about $19, but I'll stare down a 4 footer from both sides of the hole to win a $2 Nassau. Golfers........
In The Bag
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

This is directly from the USGA:

You must be a member of a golf club. The USGA® defines a golf club as an organization of at least ten individual members that operates under bylaws with committees (including a Handicap Committee) to supervise golf activities, provide peer review, and maintain the integrity of the USGA Handicap System™ A golf club must be licensed by the USGA to utilize the USGA Handicap System.
Once a player joins a golf club, the player should post adjusted gross scores. When the player posts five adjusted gross scores, and a revision date passes, the club will issue the player a Handicap Index.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
It's easy to get your handicap, just play an accredited course regularly and submit your scores. The course takes care of all the USGA Rules mumbo-jumbo. Basically, all you have to do is play and have someone sign your card after each round.

There's a local County course that I play quite often which simply requires that a player place his attested scorecard in a box at the end of his round. Someone at the course enters all of the data in a computer and keeps track of the handicap. They comply with the "membership" requirement by requiring that your reciept, (greens fee ticket), remain stapled to the scorecard as it was when you signed in. This apparently allows them to regard the greens fee in a similar way to a membership fee. This way, you can get a handicap without having to actually join a country club.

Another way is to join a golf club, in the same way as one would join a bowling league. Then the club is responsible for submitting scores.

Usually, you're required to play at least five rounds before a handicap can be calculated.

I have not heard of any online handicapping system which is recognized by the USGA. They may very well use the same formulas as the USGA, but they are not accredited by the USGA and most sites clearly display such a disclaimer.

It's possible, I suppose, that being part of an online group could constitute being a member of a club, so there may very well be legit online ways to obtain an official handicap. But most of the sites I've seen usually have the disclaimer.
My Bag:

Driver: Golfsmith Compressor 400, 9-deg., Aldila NV75-X
3 Wood: Golfsmith Viper 15-deg., Aldila NV85-X
Hybrid:(2) Golfsmith Quick Strike Tour, 21,18-deg., YS-9.1+Irons: Golfsmith 600-B Forged Blades, 2-PW, TT X-100, All Soft-stepped/Lofts 2-deg. upright.Wedges: Golfsmith 52, Cleveland 56,...

I play at a public course and we have a golf association. You pay $40.00, you get a handicap and you can play in all the association's golf tournaments. Our course association is part of the section association so you can play in the section tournaments as well. The USGA breaks the United States up into golf sections each section gets broken up into individual clubs. If you have questions about where to get a handicap for yourself, go on to the USGA's handicap website GHIN.com (Golf Handicap Information Network)

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play at a public course and we have a golf association. You pay $40.00, you get a handicap and you can play in all the association's golf tournaments. Our course association is part of the section association so you can play in the section tournaments as well. The USGA breaks the United States up into golf sections each section gets broken up into individual clubs. If you have questions about where to get a handicap for yourself, go on to the USGA's handicap website

Unfortunately, there is no ghin listing available for Virginia yet. It did take me to the Virginia Golf Association site somehow, and I've contacted them. Thanks for all the help.

If I find out an easy way as I dig through this mess, I'll post it for everyone. Wood
In The Bag
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW

Unfortunately, there is no ghin listing available for Virginia yet. It did take me to the Virginia Golf Association site somehow, and I've contacted them. Thanks for all the help.

Some other options are to find an organization in your area that is "a golf club without real estate" http://www.twincitiesgolf.com/usga_handicap_card.htm ; http://www.twincitiesgolf.com/twincitiesgolfclub.htm as an example or a retailer that has established a club (Golf Galaxy - two stores in Virginia - Richmand & Virginia Beach: http://images.uniteu.net/f/726/16199...&dept;%5Fid=210 ). Good luck with your search!

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

I checked out the Virginia State Golf Association. Its a good site, much better than the one here.

Check out this link . It gives the names of all the VSGA member clubs in Alphabetical order. Find the club where you play the most and it should give you a contact # so you can get ahold of someone there that can get you signed up. Hope this helps.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Some golf courses with leagues take care of the handicap part for a small fee and if you play that course just write your score in the book, if you play other courses keep the score card and fill in the slope/rating and any other info they ask for.
If you play many courses you will see your handicap go up and down each month as they only turn the sheets in once a month.
Best if your in a league that the secretary fills in the sheet each week and you add other courses you play to the sheet.
I think PGA partners club can do the handicapping and be official.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I joined GolfServ Adavntage and I can play any course and enter it over the internet. It's regulated by the USGA and I get an official handicap too. Once I joined it popped up with a bunch of people at my course that also subscribe to it. But a new USGA ruling says for internet based clubs I need to play with at least 3 members within the club and a sanctioned club tournament.

Hope this helps..

Note: This thread is 6597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!