IGNORED

Hello From Virginia!

FAHooGolfs
Note: This thread is 6591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new guy to the forum. I'm from Williamsburg, Virginia and am an avid golfer and University of Virginia sports fan (Go Hoos!) who also happens to have a full-time job as a financial advisor... thus, I'm an FA who (Hoo) golfs.

I'm about a 5 or 6 handicap depending on the time of year and I've been playing golf for about 6 years now.

My top 5 courses I've ever played are:
1. Golden Horseshoe Gold Course
2. Spyglass Hill
3. Bulle Rock
4. Pinehurst #4
5. Tobacco Road

I love to talk golf, college sports, or anything finance related and I look forward to being a part of the group!
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

• Administrator
5. Tobacco Road

Welcome aboard. What did you think of TR?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome aboard. What did you think of TR?

You either love Tobacco Road or you hate it. Personally, I've played it 4 times and I think its so much fun. Of course, we have Stonehouse and Royal New Kent here in Williamsburg so we're used to Mike Strantz but I just have a blast every time I go to Tobacco Road. If you've never played it, its only 6,500 from the back tees but its almost all target golf. Huge, undulating greens will leave you with some fun putts if you put it in the wrong spot. The first hole is one of the toughest opening tee shots you'll find as you're required to thread it through two mountains to a fairway that looks like its about 5 yards wide (although its more like 50). The people who hate it say its too gimmicky and they don't like the blind shots, especially off the tee. Of course, those are also the people who typically shoot 130 there. Its definitely a course you've gotta play a few times to get the feel of it, but if you're in the Pinehurst / So. Pines area, its definitely worth a trip.
In My Bag:
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

• Administrator
You either love Tobacco Road or you hate it.

I'm not in either camp. I just don't care for it. I don't think it's golf. I think you can be overly penalized for minor mistakes and I think it's boring golf if you hit your targets.

I played it and wrote about it :
"The Road," as it's affectionately known, deserves to be seen once. See it again and you're either a glutton for punishment or you missed a few pictures the first time around. Tobacco Road is all circus and very little golf. With about fourteen blind shots per hole (sarcasm, get it?), playing The Road is more about luck than it is about good shotmaking. Greens with five-foot tall 40° slopes await behind mounds and fairways remain 90% hidden behind mounds, piles, and dunes.

If you've never played it, its only 6,500 from the back tees but its almost all target golf.

Agreed.

The people who hate it say its too gimmicky and they don't like the blind shots, especially off the tee. Of course, those are also the people who typically shoot 130 there.

I shot 78 or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fair enough. I agree that its not "true" golf in terms of demanding shotmaking and the like, but I do enjoy it when I go play there... except for the 13th hole - I'll be damned if I ever hit that green in regulation.

In my defense, I typically enjoy more traditional courses much more than anything else. If you ever find yourself in the Williamsburg area, let me know and I'll take you out to the Golden Horseshoe Gold Course... I think you'll really enjoy it.

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 6591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!