IGNORED

Makeshift Mizuno Mix & Match

Note: This thread is 5509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

NOOO!!!

Hmmm... isn't it a little more "traditional" to switch to a muscle back in your short irons, typically starting in the 8? I have to say I'm taking my cues from sets like the MP 52's and the Titleist Z Blend, I'm not speaking from any experience as I unfortunately have never played any "true" blades. Purely from a looks standpoint, it seems like that makes sense as that is where the topline starts to have more of a curve. That said, I know you can't see the muscle at address... I considered doing 6 or 7 to PW in the 32's, I just wouldn't want to regret that trade of for a tiny bit more forgiveness. I guess the real question is, will I even notice the difference in forgiveness between 6 or 7 in MP60 vs MP32?
I will go one further and suggest you get the 6 iron a well. If you can afford it I would recommend getting the 6 & 7 irons in both. That way you can switch them out depending on how you are playing and as you improve, you might really appreciate the MP-32's.

I do like the idea of getting 6 & 7 iron in both, I hadn't thought of doing that. I just don't know if that's in the budget right now. Decisions, decisions.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I love my MP-60's and I kind of regret not doing a mix & match.... 6 - PW as MP 67's or 32's.... and the rest of the set MP-60's. if anyone's looking to trade..
mp-32's or 67's for 6 - pw for mp60's let me know!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Hmmm... isn't it a little more "traditional" to switch to a muscle back in your short irons, typically starting in the 8? I have to say I'm taking my cues from sets like the MP 52's and the Titleist Z Blend, I'm not speaking from any experience as I unfortunately have never played any "true" blades.

Most sets I have seen are 1/2 and 1/2. 3-6 in a CB, and 7-PW in a MB.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

hey could you give me a link to that maltby chart of forgivness or hardness to play i am very interested

Here's a little more complete list, includes more models, old and new. It's just a pain in the butt to look through.

http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/...tingsChart.pdf
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Most sets I have seen are 1/2 and 1/2. 3-6 in a CB, and 7-PW in a MB.

Hm... I assume you've hit the MP 32's/MP60's? Do you see any playability issues between the mid-irons of each set? Really the only way I'm going to get an answer is if I'm able to hit a bucket of 6 and 7 irons of each set outside, which I'm not too sure is going to happen.

Have any of you noticed on the Maltby chart that the MP 57 is actually listed below both the MP60 and MP32?? As in... harder to hit?

I've never really read much into the Maltby factor, but from what I can guess just by the logic of the chart and clubs listed, the lower the number, the harder the club is to play. Am I reading this wrong?

Hm... I assume you've hit the MP 32's/MP60's? Do you see any playability issues between the mid-irons of each set?

No, but I've hit MP-30/33 combo and a MP-57/67 combo. I don't think you can go wrong getting a 7 iron in the blade.

As long as the lofts and lie angles are consistent throughout the set, and the shafts are correct for your swing, I'm pretty sure you soul be OK.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

i doubt that you will see a huge difference in forgiveness in the 7 iron. i gotta run to a game here, and i will elaborate later, but you NEED the 7 iron as a MB.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

i doubt that you will see a huge difference in forgiveness in the 7 iron. i gotta run to a game here, and i will elaborate later, but you NEED the 7 iron as a MB.

Please do elaborate!

Ok, the 7 iron is still a pretty short club, AKA you dont see and 7 iron hybrids.. the forgiveness between the 32 and 60 is not monumetnal, (i have gamed both extensivly) and in that short of an iron, you will want the blade like control.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I am currently considering a Mizuno purchase myself. I have never played with forged irons before. I did hit some MP 52's in a local shop and loved them!

For the longest time I have had XPC Plus Cavity Back irons from 2-S. I am considering MP 57's for 4i-6i and MP 52's for 7i-9i. Any thoughts?

I am not getting wedges as I have my Cleveland 48, 56, and 60.

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

Ok, the 7 iron is still a pretty short club, AKA you dont see and 7 iron hybrids.. the forgiveness between the 32 and 60 is not monumetnal, (i have gamed both extensivly) and in that short of an iron, you will want the blade like control.

Hmm. You've played both? Did you ever do what I'm talking about and play a combination of both at the same time? I am not sure why, I just always really like the whole progressive set idea. And being able to make my own is perfect. It's just that I'm having a hell of a time making decisions.

I occasionally use MP-57 3-7 with MP-67 8-PW. I like the forged look a lot, and I feel like I'm more accurate with the blades for my short irons. Lose a little distance though, which is a bit of a problem, since my 7-iron is my 150 club and when I swap out my 8-iron for the 67 I only hit it about 130 -- so I have a 20 yard gap from 130-150, which is not ideal. I'm thinking of bending my 67s a couple degrees to close the gap.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Hmm. You've played both? Did you ever do what I'm talking about and play a combination of both at the same time?

Never did both at the same time. The only reason i switched away from the 60's was, A) shaft issues. B) the irons were almost too forgiving for what i wanted. I wanted just a little more workabilitiy. Hell an entire set of 60's would probobly be just fine for most people.

However, the 32's are also very fogriving for being blades, so thats why i vote for a vlade 7 iron.

I occasionally use MP-57 3-7 with MP-67 8-PW. I like the forged look a lot, and I feel like I'm more accurate with the blades for my short irons. Lose a little distance though, which is a bit of a problem, since my 7-iron is my 150 club and when I swap out my 8-iron for the 67 I only hit it about 130 -- so I have a 20 yard gap from 130-150, which is not ideal. I'm thinking of bending my 67s a couple degrees to close the gap.

You know they are both forged, right? But yeah, that's my idea for having a progressive set is the accuracy/workability factor.

You bring up a potentially good point though, which leads me to my next question for laxplayer...
Never did both at the same time. The only reason i switched away from the 60's was, A) shaft issues. B) the irons were almost too forgiving for what i wanted. I wanted just a little more workabilitiy. Hell an entire set of 60's would probobly be just fine for most people.

...Do you notice any difference in distance between the 32's and 60's? I suspect that the last post was having distance differences because the 57's will give higher ball flight and greater carry than 67's, but the 60/32 combo seems so similar that I'll be surprised if there is a difference.

Just curious if you had noticed any difference as far as that goes.

You know they are both forged, right? But yeah, that's my idea for having a progressive set is the accuracy/workability factor.

Yeah, I know they're both forged. Just a brain freeze moment. Meant to say I like the blade look. Though, frankly, both the 57s and 67s are great-looking clubs. They look better than the new Mizuno line to my eyes.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Just an update:

I've decided, sort of. I'm having my guy build me a 3-iron in MP60, I already had him build a 6-iron MP60, and I've also having him build a 9-iron MP32.

This will give me a better range to decide from. I definitely decided against the MP57 in the long irons. The different look was one piece but the feel was a huge factor. Plus I don't feel like the 57's are THAT much easier to hit than the 60's, and the trade off in feel was more than I was willing to concede.

I'm also having him do a little work on my 56*. That way, if I can't make a decision before my first round of the year, at least I'll have Driver, 3-iron, 6-iron, 9-iron, 56* & putter.

I can make a round work with that arsenal.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I may still need a little convincing on where to draw the line for my split set, but I'm hoping it'll just hit me after I have a few more clubs to work with.

Just an update:

that was a fantastic idea. from memory, the 32's were something like 10% less forgiveness than the 60's.. Im a fairly good ball striker, and i dont see a huge distance loss between the two, the 32's are a bit harsher on mishits, and they react a little better to moving the ball, but other than that, they are pretty similar.

Note: This thread is 5509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!