IGNORED

Wilson Progressive Irons

Note: This thread is 2026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anybody know if the old progressive irons from wilson (befroe the FI5's) were forged or cast? Did anybody play them?

Driver Nike Sumo 13* offset (yep old man driver)
Driver #2 Nike Sumo 16* (Sweet 16) for short par 4, long par 3's
Hybrids Nike Sumo 2H and 3H 18 and 21 degree
Mizuno MX-25 4 - SW
Wilson Staff Kirk Currie II PutterHacker and Proud of It

I played some for a summer back in 92 or 93. I don't know if they were forged or cast. Back then I wouldn't have know the difference. The were under the "Wilson Staff" line. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but at the time it was a 'players' type club, so my gut tells me they were probably forged.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I remember these clubs... They were forged. A really nice set. I ended up getting the MP-14's instead, but I remember trying them.

The 2-6 iron were cavity back, and the 7-PW were a traditional blade.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Yes, that is them, we found a completely unused set in my Uncles attic, still wrapped and everything. It has a postmark of 1993 on the box. They look beautiful, but not sure if I could play them, I currently use Ci6's. My dad says I can keep them if I will actually use them.

Mizuno MX-25 4 - SW

What shafts are in them? True Temper or Firestick?

I would keep them, at 18 handicap they should work well, especially if you are improving.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I am not sure, they are at my dad's right now. I am not sure if he can figure that out for me or if I will have to ride down one day and look over the weekend. Is one shaft better then other?? I only looked to see the flex which was regular, which is only reason I can think about even keeping them because if was stiff I know I wouldn't be able to play them.

Mizuno MX-25 4 - SW

those are great irons. i would have no problem playing those even today. post some photos of them! it would be cool to see photos of a brand new set

EDIT: found a brand new set of heads on ebay:

• 9 years later...

I have played Wilson blades since 1989. My wife bought me a set for my birthday at that time I was an 8 handicap with in a year I went to a 3 handicap.  No doubt Wilson staff blades are the best golf irons ever made (pre 1994). I have had almost every make of blade in my bag at one time or another.  Early mizuno blades com close mcgreggors close third but nothing like staffs except the 74's don't know what happened there but I've tried 2 sets of those and they were terrible.  To say you can't play staff blades today and be competitive is wrong.  My handicap now is 11. That is from lack of practice and age. 2 years ago I went to a " more forgiving set". And my game went to snot!  I found a mint set of progressive irons a few months later and all is well.  

8 hours ago, Robert mandrella said:

except the 74's don't know what happened there but I've tried 2 sets of those and they were terrible

Are you referring to the ones with the removable weight port? I love the Art Deco look of those clubs, but I havent really hit my set yet.

18 hours ago, Robert mandrella said:

Those are the ones. Yes they have a great look but they don't have that distinctive sweet spot feel. Hard to describe. Kind of like hitting with aluminum shafts.

Sad to hear that. I’ve been a bit intimidated by the razor sharp leading edge of them. It’s the sharpest I’ve ever seen on a golf club

Note: This thread is 2026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!