IGNORED

Aldila VS Proto by You 65g Stiff -- Swing speed question?

Note: This thread is 5485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All:

I bought a Nike sumo2 5900 driver last year in ebay...it came with the Aldila VS Proto by You 65g Stiff shaft.

My swing speed is between 95-100. I was reading about a shaft review....& it said "Higher handicap players should definitely stay away from this shaft, most have complained that the ball flight and spin rates are just too low."

http://www.sirshanksalot.com/index.p...d=85&Itemid;=39

I have noticed that since I got it....my drives are 20 yards less.

Is my swing speed to slow for this shaft?

Thanks!

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Do you know your swingspeed? If the shaft is too stiff, you would lose some distance. If it is a low spinning shaft and you are a low spinning hitter, then I would think that you would lose some more distance. Plus, many people say that the square drivers are shorter than more conventional drivers (I don't know how true it actually is), so you could lose more distance from that. I'm not sure if it would add up to 20 yards, but it's possible.

I would try and hit the same driver head with a different shaft and/or flex(es). Compare the results.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

My swing speed is between 95-100. I did have a Nike 5900 with a regular shaft & I could hit it 260 yards......I sold that club because a local pro told me I needed a stiff shaft....but since buying the same club with the Aldila VS Proto by You 65g...& barely hit it 240 yards :[

I think I am going to get fitted for a regular shaft :]

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

My swing speed is between 95-100. I did have a Nike 5900 with a regular shaft & I could hit it 260 yards......I sold that club because a local pro told me I needed a stiff shaft....but since buying the same club with the Aldila VS Proto by You 65g...& barely hit it 240 yards :[

Probably a good idea to get fitted. Good luck and let us know what you go with.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I have this shaft in my Titleist 905R and my swingspeed is between 109-112MPH. The shaft holds up very well. I tried it in X-flex and it was too stif for me.

well... I use the 80s (which are actually 84g) in stiff in my hybrids and I love them... my SS w/ driver is about 100-105.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I have this shaft in my driver, Nike Sumo 5000. My swing speed is about 90-100, i only get about 240-270 out of it. it could well be the shaft, I have been considering getting a new one.

Sumo 2 5000 Aldila Proto By-You 65-s
Tour Burner 2 hybrid
CCi 4-A
SV Tour 60*
Unitized Tiempo 35in NXT Tour & NXT Extreme Synchro Cart Bag

I wen to the local golf today "Washington Golf Center". They had me warm up & checked my swing on a swing monitor.....my swing speed avg 88-91....but my launch angle was around 12 (too low) & spin rate was around 3500-4000 (too high).

He suggested I go with a YS regular flex shaft..(I can't remember the specifics)...he said he would cut it to 45" in length...instead of 45 3/4"....he said that should with accuracy.

I pick it up in Friday...then I will head to the driving range & try it out :]

I would stop by your local golf store and see if you can get a reading on what your backspin is and go from there. I have the same shaft in my Titleist 3 wood and love it. Im about the same swing speed as you which is on average of 98 or so. Maybe you should try a different ball and see what that does. What kind of ball are you hitting?

Check out my last post...my swing speed avg 90...& spin was too high :[

• 1 month later...
Hi I have been told that my swing speed is around 100 mph (from 95 to 103)

I have a cobra x speed stiff and I think it's a little too stiff for me (104+ mph recommendation)

I later bough a callaway FT-5 neutral with fujikura e-150 stiff, but the ball flight is way too high for me and I loose distance.

So I've decided/been recommended to keep the FT-5 head and fit it with a VS Proto.

I need to decide between a VS Proto 65 regular or a VS Proto 60 stiff. I've been told that the 65 version will be a little stiffer than the 60 version. Is it true?

I'm also thinking of adding 1/2 inch compare to the fujikura e-150, which would make the club 1/4 inch longer than my X-speed yet still 1/4 shorter than my my old Ping G2.

I figured doing that would probably increase my swing speed a little, give me maybe a few yards.

Thanks for your help

Note: This thread is 5485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!