IGNORED

Swing Speed & type of Ball??

Note: This thread is 5522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got tested today on a launch monitor & my driver swing speed averages 88-90.

I was thinking of starting to use the Top Flight "Gamer" ball because of the good reviews. I was wondering if my swing is too slow to use a 3 piece ball. I read where 3-piece balls were for players with faster swing speeds.

Anyone one have any knowledge/experience with this?

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Gamer is a good ball for the price but I found the cover wasn't tough enough; good spin but it was getting really badly wrecked after a couple of full wedges.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like playing with the Pinnacle Exceptions....but those are getting harder & harder to find.

Anyone used both the Gamer & Exception? Do they have similar characteristics?

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Swing speed monitoring is a complete waste of time.Forget about it ,just another gizmo to get you in the shop.
Timing and hitting the ball at your optimum pressure point are the factors that determine how far the ball will travel.Once this is achieved of corse knocking the crap out of it will put the yards on.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I got tested today on a launch monitor & my driver swing speed averages 88-90.

My swing speed is exactly the same 88 (smooth)-92 (if I go at it a little). I think any player could play a three piece ball if they don't slice and hook a lot. JMHO it actually helps those of us that miss a lot of greens get up and down. I just saw a thing with Jim Furyk yesterday saying that because he isn't the longest hitter he needs a little more spin to help him score.

Anyway, if you are interested in a 2 piece that performs really well consider the Bridgestone e5+. Or maybe try the e6+ if you naturally hit high or with a lot of sidespin. I do hear a lot of good things about the Gamer though. In that same price range you might also consider the Noodle.

Stacy_E,

Thanks for tip on the Bridgestone Balls.

At your swingspeed....how far do you hit your drives?

J

Stacy_E,

Honestly, I don't really know. haha. Here in East TN, there is so much slope on every single hole, it is so hard to be completely accurate. I can say that with my current driver I am carrying it farther than ever (probably 210ish on good shots) but getting less roll that when I was playing a stiff flex V2. Part of that might have been my change from the NXT Tour (great 3 piece BTW) to the e5+. I have always been a low ball hitter, especially with the driver.

With all those disclaimers, I would say 230-240 on average. That would be about 270 if I absolutely get rowdy AND hit it on the screws, and 200 if I absolutely dog it with a high pull. As you can see from my sig, I’m not one to get on a bandwagon. Most of my clubs made the Hotlist….in 2005 . But I’m really digging the e5+. This after playing the NXT Tour exclusively for 2 years. Well , I did tinker with the Callaway HX hot BITE. That ball is good IMHO but very shred-able. More so than a ProV1. Maybe you can pick up one sleeve of the Bridgestones and see how they work for you. I commited to them once I saw how durable they were, especially given their spin around the green. Good Luck!

Have you ever tried the Gamers?

I'm from KY....& I have drove the east TN.....so I know how mountainly that can be lol

Actually one of my friends plays the Gamer. He gave me one to try. I chipped and pitched it around the yard and thought it felt kinda hard. But I was playing the NXT Tour at the time. The NXT Tour has a really soft cover and feel. Eventually I decided to try something harder because I'm still playing an insert faced putter and wanted a little more "click" and feedback (enter the e5+). I might like the Gamer better now if I tried it.

So to answer your question....I chipped the Gamer around the yard then 8-ironed it into the neighbors pond . I shouldn't have done that. Poor Gamer. I think you might want to give the Gamer a try too on the course. The guy that gave it to me hits really high balls with every club. I have no idea if the ball has anything to do with it or not. They are really reasonably priced so I would definately consider them at least as a back up ball.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for balls with swing speeds over 120mph?? I've played Top Flite D2 - and hated the feel. Callaway Warbird and Bridgestone B330-S, and Titleist ProV1x. Currently I like the Titleist, but is this the wrong ball to play??

OVERHEARD ON THE GOLF COURSE - "Go in the hole!.........................................FORE!!!"

Datrek Zone Bag
DRIVER: G2, Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue 65S
5 WOOD: SasQuatch Sumo 5900 IRONS: I5 3-PW52/56/60: 588 DSG GunmetalPUTTER: White-Hot 2-BallBALL: Pro V1xRANGEFINDER: SG4

Stacie_E,

I ordered me some Bridgestone E6+....I also see they were on the GD Hotlist.....to that is good to know. I got the E6+ so I can hopefully keep the ball straighter lol

Thanks for the info!

Stacie_E,

Cool deal. I hope you like them. I think Bridgestone has done a good job marketing their balls. It's pretty simple...If your shots do this then you choose this ball, etc. I know it's more complicated than that due to a lot of variables, but it gets you in the ballpark. It just seems to me, some of the biggest name brand balls are still confusing some of their potential buyers on which ball is best for them.

I've heard a lot of good things about the e6+. The only reason I haven't tried them is my ball stays pretty straight and I need all the spin I can get to add to the lift on my shots.

Titlest NXT Extreme
Top flight Gamer
Top flight D2 Feel

in that order

Those are the best imo. they one hop and stop or draw back a little for me everytime for me unless I am hitting a bump and run.

ontop of that if an NXT extreme ever shreads all you have to do is send the ball to titlest and they will send you a whole sleve of balls for free. Hows that for customer service!

Didn't a golf magazine do a comparison of balls a while back that used a swing speed of 90 mph for the test?

I believe the top three balls distance wise were:

Maxfli Noodle+
Taylor Made Red
Taylor Made Black

I think the Taylor Made balls had a good review on this web site.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Here's the link: http://www.golf.com/golf/features/flash/ballguide3.html .

They did use a 90 mph swing speed to test the balls. Doesn't mean you'll get the same results, but does give you something to compare to.

Interesting that the pro-v1 is one of the SHORTER balls for a 90 mph swing speed. Does anyone know the optimum swing speed for a pro-v1?

53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Here's the link:

Most people don't know you have to have a high swing speed to compress these balls in order to get maximum performance. That's why I laugh when I see so many amatuers playing this ball. As for an exact number... no idea... I would guess they are similar to the B330-S .... 105+ MPH SS.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Most people don't know you have to have a high swing speed to compress these balls in order to get maximum performance. That's why I laugh when I see so many amatuers playing this ball. As for an exact number... no idea... I would guess they are similar to the B330-S .... 105+ MPH SS.

Given that there were a number of balls that fell into a 5 yard range distance wise at the top, I would guess it would be more important to go with a ball that feels right, etc... instead of going on pure distance.

Although I'll have to admit the TM Red & Black did really jump out on the distance. Couple that with the great review they got on this site, and I'd have to think anyone with a 90 mph swing speed looking for a high-end ball would have to give them a hard look.

Note: This thread is 5522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!