IGNORED

Taylor Made Rac Wedge Y-cutter Review

gas_can
Note: This thread is 7001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After hearing so much about TM's y-cutter grooves on their tour wedges, the club demons finally won and I bought an oil quenched 56* with 12* of bounce from a moderator on another forum.

My 56* and 60* Titleist Vokey's have been some of my favorite clubs, great off the fairways and rough and a sure bet out of the sand. My Vokeys have U grooves on the face and while they do spin the begeebers out of approaches, even a half swing is guaranteed to rip the cover to shreds. The TM Rac wedge has grooves shaped like a y, which is supposed to add even more spin, but not tear the cover anywhere near as much as U or box grooves.

Feel wise the TM's are on par with the Vokeys, very much the same soft responsive feel. However, once the ball leaves the clubface, the similarities end. This club just puts insane spin on the ball. On the 13th, I hit an approach from 112 yards to the pin which sloped severely down away from me. I went ahead and fired at it, fully expecting the ball to end up twelve or thirteen feet away. However, the ball hit and just stopped dead . . . there's no way I could have put that much spin on it with my Vokey. When I picked up my B330 to clean it before my putt, I was shocked to see almost no scuffing at all on it. These wedges really do work. I tried every ball I had in my bag: V1, V1X, B330, Tour Ace, I just couldn't scuff any of them too badly no matter how fast my swing was. After about five rounds these wedges will have paid for themselves now that I'm not replacing my ball every time one touches my wedge.

Long story short, I'm 100% sold on these wedges, I've already placed my order for a 60* y-cutter and I can't wait to get it. IMHO, I really think this should be something every player should try out regardless of handicap they will help you hold more greens and improve your scoring more than any driver or iron set.

As a side note, I also bit the bullet and joined the 450cc driver club. I bought a new TM R5 Tour driver with a Fujikura 660 shaft. I'll play around with it a bit at the driving range and launch monitor tomorrow and let everyone know how it turns out.

As a side note, I also bit the bullet and joined the 450cc driver club. I bought a new TM R5 Tour driver with a Fujikura 660 shaft. I'll play around with it a bit at the driving range and launch monitor tomorrow and let everyone know how it turns out.

the y-cutters are still out my reach (budget-wise) but I also switched from Titleist Vokey's to TM satin RAC's. very sweet feel, I love the weight balance.

What R5 did you get? I also purchased tour 5' (510TP) recently and will test it out next week in Florida... Can't wait.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What R5 did you get? I also purchased tour 5' (510TP) recently and will test it out next week in Florida... Can't wait.

My new toy is

the new large cc R5 introduced as a baby brother to the R7. I use a R510 tour now, and I love it to death I don't know if any club will ever be able to pry it out of my bag. High launch/low spin has helped my game out tremendously. I got an R7 tour, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much as my 510, I've never felt a driver as solid as that and it's very workable to boot. What kind of shaft do you have in your 510?

What kind of shaft do you have in your 510?

The "standard" Fujikura 757 S-Flex with the TP colors. I also have another one (that I didn't try yet) - 580XD Tour with the Aldila NVS 75-S. I'll be going with 3 drivers (retail 510TP that I love) and the 2 new ones I'll try out. After this trip there will be only one

The "standard" Fujikura 757 S-Flex with the TP colors. I also have another one (that I didn't try yet) - 580XD Tour with the Aldila NVS 75-S. I'll be going with 3 drivers (retail 510TP that I love) and the 2 new ones I'll try out. After this trip there will be only one

I think the TM 757 is quite a good shaft, low tourque but kind of a high launch. I used to have a Fuji 757 in my 510 until I tried the new 660, it's got the same launch and tourque, but the drop in weight helped me pick up a couple mph in my swing speed. Next shaft I'll be trying will probably be a MW-54 ultralite and see if I can't boost my SS a little bit more. But first I need to eliminate the slight push I've developed since switching shafts!

I'm interested to see how the 580XD setup performs for you, I haven't heard much about the NVS . . . I know it's a soft tipped shaft, what's your normal launch angle?

I'm interested to see how the 580XD setup performs for you, I haven't heard much about the NVS . . . I know it's a soft tipped shaft, what's your normal launch angle?

Unfortunatelly, even though I play golf for 5 years now, I never done a launch monitor session. Thanks to eBay my equipment adjustments are done on a trial-and-error basis, if it doesn't work I sell it back at no- or minimal loss. What was working for me on my fairway woods was UST ProForce 65 for example. Just simply being bored I got off eBay the green Aldila NV X-75 and installed in my 3wood - definite improvement as far the accuracy go, lower ball flight, no loss of distance. I tried the 580XD with Fuji 869 Tour, but it felt like a 2x4, I couldn't get the ball up more than 20 yds in the air

Way too much shaft for me. I'll let you know how the NVS preforms. I did hit already once a club with NVS - the Ping G2, I'd say the ballflight was the same as off my 757 510TP stick, maybe a bit higher and more fade (maybe because Ping makes the shaft in their drivers inch longer than TM and I didn't adjust?). One more day in 8 deg weather.... I'll post a report once I'm back

Note: This thread is 7001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!