IGNORED

Playing through??

TN94z
Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When is the proper time to let a group play through? Is it when you are about to hit your second shots or should you wait until the next tee box? IMO, I think you should wait until the next tee box. A friend and I played yesterday and were behind a foursome. They were playing fairly fast and I was content with playing behind them because we never really had to wait on them that much and we were just practicing anyway. As we arrived to the 10 tee box, 2 of their guys had hit their approach shots and the others were about to hit theirs. When they saw that we had arrived at the tee box (we were still sitting in the cart taking some drinks) they began waving us through, so we proceed to hit our tee shots. Now, while I am standing over my ball about to hit my approach shot, those guys are over there taking practice swings and talking. Another thing I don't like about that type of situation is it almost makes me feel rushed to hurry up and get out of their way. If they had waited until the next tee box, it seems to take the "rush" out of it. I don't know. I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on when a group should be allowed to play through.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1) I'm suprised you could here them talking from 250 yards away... were they yelling?

2) They should stop taking practice swings and stand aside at the edge of the fairway.

3) I think it is OK and GOOD to waive a faster group through ASAP, but waiting until the tee box is fine as well. If you don't want to play through, that's your decision. I'm always happy to be waived through as soon as possible as I hate waiting.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

1) I'm suprised you could here them talking from 250 yards away... were they yelling?

1)They weren't talking on the tee shot. They were talking while I was standing over my second shot...at that point they were standing about 10 yards away. 2) They moved to the edge of the fairway but that was only about 10 yards from where I was having to hit my second shot 3) I agree with this, but the thing was we weren't really waiting on them. We had been behind them for 5 holes with no problems. We weren't angry about it or trying to push the pace. We were actually playing at a fairly steady pace. I will play through and never turn down a chance to play through as I don't like to wait either. But this time was just different...we weren't waiting. Maybe they thought we were going to eventually be breathing down their neck and that is fine. But I think they should have just waited to the next tee box. It took longer for them to get out of the way than it would have taken for the other two guys to go ahead and hit their shots. Then we could have tee'd off and caught them on the next tee box. I guess its just a preference thing

Bryan A

When I see a group behind that is playing faster I will usually wait until the next box, have our group go ahead and tee off (after marking our balls very clearly) then wait on the other group and allow them to tee off (Par 3's are the exception - we do not tee off first). This helps speed things up a little bit. I very seldom wave someone through from the fairway, though. I know I always feel uncomfortable teeing off with people in fairway because of fear of hitting them. The exception is if we are searching for someone's ball or something along those lines - in those cases I'll go ahead and wave people through.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

They weren't talking on the tee shot. They were talking while I was standing over my second shot...at that point they were standing about 10 yards away.

yeah... that makes sense then. I would kindly ask them to shut the F* up and not be inconsiderate, that way I don't have to stick my wedge up their as$ sideways. Then again I'm a big guy and hate rude golfers.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Think yourself lucky to be waved through at all. I played with my dad last weekend (two ball) and the four ball in front never once looked back to let us through. There were four holes clear in front of them!
In answer to your original post I often wave people through when I have reached my tee shot (obviously I show them respect by keeping quiet and still while they play).
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

I always let people play through as well. To me it makes the round less enjoyable if I have someone breathing down my neck all round.

The tee box is always the easiest place to let someone go through but if I am delayed in the fairway while we look for a ball I will have them through.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

A bit OT, but a few weeks ago There were 2 groups about 2 holes back. One caught the other and just played into them, and while I was walking up the fairway I hear "You mother effer!" And "I'll effin hit you". I assumed he meant his fist. I couldn't concentrate because I was laughing and proceded to place a 7 iron shot against a tree.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Think yourself lucky to be waved through at all. I played with my dad last weekend (two ball) and the four ball in front never once looked back to let us through. There were four holes clear in front of them!

We had a similar situation, but it was a TWOSOME with three holes open in front of them... They were scheduled directly behind a high-school match and still couldn't keep up.

On a long par-5 we hit our second shot to about 100y from the green, while the two in front of us were still lining up their chips on the green. We picked up and moved to the next tee box. By the time we reached that green, the two others finally reached the tee box as well. This was at hole 13. At hole 17 we were 2.5 holes ahead of them.

I usually wait until the next tee to waive a faster group though. A lot of the time I play as a single and I personally get REALLY annoyed when people dont let me play through, especially considering the fact that on the course I play, there is a sign next to the tee of hole #2 that says, "Observe proper golf ettiquite: allow faster players to play through."

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Barring exceptional circumstances, I'd wait for the next tee. It's just easier not to be a distraction there -- we're all used to having people standing around while we tee off. Plus, it's usually a nicer place to wait.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

As soon as possible.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I'm gonna go with ASAP. There's nothing worse than getting behind an incredibly slow group who doesnt let you play through. That has happened to me twice this season and I've only played six rounds. It sucks.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

It depends on the circumstances and when a group catches up. Usually it's on the tee box but if someone's looking for a ball or it's easier to let a group through on the fairway then I'll let them through then. I don't see the big deal with people standing too close when you're playing through. You're getting let through, of course there's going to be other people watching you swing, just deal with it; it sure beats waiting behind them for half a round.

It depends on the circumstances and when a group catches up. Usually it's on the tee box but if someone's looking for a ball or it's easier to let a group through on the fairway then I'll let them through then. I don't see the big deal with people standing too close when you're playing through. You're getting let through, of course there's going to be other people watching you swing, just deal with it; it sure beats waiting behind them for half a round.

You don't see the big deal with someone that you don't know from Adam stands 10 yards from you taking practice swings and talking while you are standing over your second shot about to hit? I have no problems with people watching me swing...I play in scrambles, big groups, etc....and people watch me all of the time. Those people are usually respectful while doing so.

Bryan A

When I see a group behind that is playing faster I will usually wait until the next box, have our group go ahead and tee off (after marking our balls very clearly) then wait on the other group and allow them to tee off (Par 3's are the exception - we do not tee off first). This helps speed things up a little bit. I very seldom wave someone through from the fairway, though. I know I always feel uncomfortable teeing off with people in fairway because of fear of hitting them. The exception is if we are searching for someone's ball or something along those lines - in those cases I'll go ahead and wave people through.

That is pretty much exactly how I do it. We head down with the 'going through' group, find our balls, get the yardages, etc., so that when they are done on the green we are ready to go.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I thought of this thread yesterday when it took alittle over 51/2 hours to play 18 because this idiot supposed club champion and three his sons were walking the course and not letting people play through when we were having to wait and wait because his three sons sucked at golf.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!