IGNORED

Recommended tees by course rating/slope and handicap

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there anything out there that shows the recommended tees to play from based on your handicap and the course rating or slope? We're taking a trip to Arcadia Bluffs and my one buddy is trying to convince us to play from the Whites (70.3/129, 6244 yards) and I'm lobbying for the Black (72.8/137, 6702 yards) - they alos have Gold (75.4/147, 7300 yards) which I would never consider.

We're all have an index from 9-14 and I think the biggest issue is that he thinks my length off the tee is too much of an advantage. Problem is, if we play from the Whites, there would be a couple ~310 yard par 4's and 3 of the par 5's would be 465 and under - and I don't think that's how that course should be played.

Anyway, is there anything out there to settle what would be the "proper" set of tees for us?

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I doubt there is a "general" measure for that, but check with the course. A lot of courses will have suggested handicap for a given set of tees.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I run into a similar issue pretty often. I can see why you'd want to play the blacks, they'd be my preference too, but honestly, I'd bet that you'd prob enjoy playing from the whites a heck of a lot more than a 14 hcp would enjoy the beating he'd likely take from the blacks......

7700yds and 72.8/137 is a pretty good test of golf for even a solid single digit hcp.......especially on a course with which you're unfamiliar.

Of course, there's nothing that says that you all have to play from the same tees, either......

My .02.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I run into a similar issue pretty often. I can see why you'd want to play the blacks, they'd be my preference too, but honestly, I'd bet that you'd prob enjoy playing from the whites a heck of a lot more than a 14 hcp would enjoy the beating he'd likely take from the blacks......

It's 6700, not 7700 - that would be BRUTAL!!!

I just emailed the pro and he said most everybody should play from the Whites - I guess I'll just enjoy being able to hit 3 of the par 5's in 2.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

It's 6700, not 7700 - that would be BRUTAL!!!

Sorry, I just mistyped that. Still a long ways for a 14 hcp on a tough, new course.

Are you guy playing a game? Tell him you'll play from the blacks but no strokes. Then kick his butt!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry, I just mistyped that. Still a long ways for a 14 hcp on a tough, new course.

We usually play Round Robin, but I'm thinking about pitching that we play Wolf.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

Are you guy playing a game? Tell him you'll play from the blacks but no strokes. Then kick his butt!

I used to do this with a couple of friends. I hate playing for money by giving strokes so I suggested that I would play from the blues and they play from the whites (only two to choose from). We played straight up score and I would play the ball down and they were allowed to play the ball up if they wanted. The games usually ended up pretty close.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Is there anything out there that shows the recommended tees to play from based on your handicap and the course rating or slope? We're taking a trip to Arcadia Bluffs and my one buddy is trying to convince us to play from the Whites (70.3/129, 6244 yards) and I'm lobbying for the Black (72.8/137, 6702 yards) - they alos have Gold (75.4/147, 7300 yards) which I would never consider.

there's always the 5-iron guideline... multiply your 5-iron distance by 36.

Seriously though... if I was playing the Bluffs, there's no way in hell I would play the middles at 6200 (unless it was crazy windy or something)... the course would be so much more fun from the blacks for me at 6700... it would play more like it is supposed to play for me. That's just me though, and I will probably only get to play there once or twice in my life (hopefully this summer for my first). You guys could always play different boxes if they are shorter hitters.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

... Problem is, if we play from the Whites, there would be a couple ~310 yard par 4's and 3 of the par 5's would be 465 and under - and I don't think that's how that course should be played.

You might consider expanding your horizons as it applies to golf course design. The well conceived short par 4 or par 5 is not always the birdie hole a longer hitter might expect it to be.

Submitted for your consideration, Riviera #10. 315 yards. But, I've never played Arcadia Bluffs so I can't say what to expect. There seems to be a somewhat significant difference in rating between the white and the blacks (450 yds, 2.5 strokes, 8 points slope). There are some other conditions that should affect the tee decision. Windy or calm? Wet or firm/fast? Will you be playing it more than once? Maybe play it up the first time, then the group can decide if moving back is desirable for subsequent rounds.

You might consider expanding your horizons as it applies to golf course design. The well conceived short par 4 or par 5 is not always the birdie hole a longer hitter might expect it to be.

Good answer. On my home course the 7th is a par 4, 267 from the whites and 311 from the blues. Yep, almost looks like a par 3 on the scorecard. It's one of my favorite par 4's though because the design is devilish. The fairway landing area is really wide, probably 60 yds... but... there is a deep rocky creek that runs across the front edge of the green. There is also a massive, deep bunker that guards the entire left half of the green. The green is only about 15-20 paces deep and slopes pretty severely from back to front and has a steep hillside as a backstop. The only bailout area near the green is to the right and chipping from there is an adventure as you'll end up hitting a slick downhill-sidehill chip that runs to the creek or bunker. Big hitters that try to drive the green risk going long and having a downhill chip from the back that's almost impossible to stop on the green. Drive placement and approach angle are everything. It's a great little hole. I've seen everything from eagles there (rare) to 7's or 8's. Par there is actually a pretty good score. Lotsa bogeys and doubles.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!