IGNORED

"Nitro" Balls $5 for 15 at Wal-Mart

Note: This thread is 5477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know anything about these except that they were displayed in a Wal-Mart blue display box. Meaning that they are probably re-branded balls from either Top-flight or Callaway..

I bought a box. I figured for $5 at very least I had some good water balls.

I'm going to play next weekend. I'll give a report.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I went to Wal*Mart last night to replenish my stock of lost golfballs :( and I came across these as well! I usually use Top Flight XL5000 Super Soft, and I saw these on an endcap for $5.00.

I picked up a box of them, along with my box of Top Flights, since they were so cheap. I figured that if they were horrible balls, I would use them as backups for shots over water, trees, etc. I'd rather lose a 33-cent ball, than a $1.00-or-more ball!

I opened up a box of them to compare them with my Top Flights. Now, mind you I'm not very good at golf by any means, so they probably won't make any difference in my game. However, I was surprised to see how rough-feeling those were, especially compared to the Super Soft Top Flights. I was putting both kinds around my living room, and I really didn't like the feel if the Nitros. The felt a lot to me like the range balls that I normally hit!

I don't get to go out golfing much, so I'm sure you'll get a chance to test out the Nitros before I will. I look forward to hearing your report! :)

Yeah, these are cheapo balls for sure.

At that price, what else could they be?

I recently got some balls very cheap that are great. They are Precept Laddie X and I got them on Amazon for $17.99 (for two dozen). That comes out to $8.48 per dozen. Just great golf balls. Soft on the irons, long off the tee. Very, very similar to the Maxfli Noodles. My other favorite ball.

I'm a bogey golfer so I'm not willing to pay a small fortune for golf balls. As a result, I've settled on the TopFlite Gamer as my ball of choice. That said, if you ever get the chance, try out the Intech Limbo at $10 per 15.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

If I am correct about which Nitro we are talking about.... they are refurbished balls... Acushnet actually sued Nitro years ago in regards to selling refurbed Pro V1's as Nitros... Acushnet eventually lost the suit.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

If I am correct about which Nitro we are talking about.... they are refurbished balls... Acushnet actually sued Nitro years ago in regards to selling refurbed Pro V1's as Nitros... Acushnet eventually lost the suit.

Are they refurbished of multiple brands, or are they usually specific brands that are refurbished and used? Because the ones that I bought didn't seem like they were very good quality at all!

I've settled on the TopFlite Gamer as my ball of choice.

I have heard these are great balls for the money. VERY favorable review in the "Hot Balls" write up in this months Golf Digest. I will be picking up some myself soon. Sounds like a great ball. Same goes for the Precept Laddie X that I mentioned earlier. I played the Precept Laddie years ago. Great ball. The new Laddie X I played this morning. I can say it is the best value I have ever seen in a golf ball at the price I got them for on Amazon.

Are they refurbished of multiple brands, or are they usually specific brands that are refurbished and used?

Well I guess that settles that one.

Ah hell, for $5, may as well give em a shot. Like everyone else said, use em as over-water shots or something, cause they'd probably go into the water anyway.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well I guess that settles that one.

Lol, don't base your opinion off mine! My caliber of golf is pretty poor. That's why I play with the Top Flights that I do, since they're the cheapest at the store, lol. So, obviously, I don't know a whole lot about what's good, and what's bad, when it comes to golf balls.

Hopefully someone who's a lot better at golf gets their hands on some of these, and can make a much more professional opinion

I did the highly scientific drop test on my kitchen tile.

I compared them to some callaway balls and some Top-Flights that I had laying around.

They bounced the exact same height and made the exact same sound on the tile as the callaways did.

The Top Flight bounced slightly lower and made a much deeper "thunk" on the tile. I took that to mean it was a softer ball. (If you can believe that)

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Im not a very good golfer.

I have a box of expensive bridgestone balls. And a couple of boxes of topflite xl5000's, hipppogolf balls, and others i got cheap.

The difference between the expensive and cheap? Im less angry when I lose a 60 cent ball.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

The difference between the expensive and cheap? Im less angry when I lose a 60 cent ball.

The difference I've noticed, my fillings don't rattle out of my head when I hit an expensive ball.

Seriously, I've noticed enough of a difference between the softer balls and the cheap balls that I flinch when I hit a cheap ball because I know the feedback is going to be severe. That flinching causes mis-hits. I agree with you though, I too hate losing $4 balls.

Worst golf balls, ever. Worse than cold range balls on a 30 degree morning.

I bought a dozen a few years ago at a Big 5 when I was living in az. I'm afraid of snakes, so anything off the grass got left and I went through balls fast. I ended up giving them to the kids on my hockey team to practice their stickhandling with, and they worked better for that than golf.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

We're getting a really mixed bag of opinions on these.

I'm more excited then ever to try them out.

i second the post above the one above me (apparently I type too slow..). $5 is what you pay for any other lower end BRAND name (tops, max, noodle, nike, etc) if you look around.

And the sure as hell dont compare to the $4 dozen used Callaway HX Tours I get from lostgolfballs.com ... just wait for the free shipping coupons and buy off there.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I've picked up a few of these Nitro balls on the course and hit them into the woods and they are rocks.

I would much rather spend the $5 toward a recycled dozen of NXT's or whatever quality recycled ball is on sale.

« Keith »

Note: This thread is 5477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!