IGNORED

Punnished by the golf gods!!!

shankopotamus
Note: This thread is 5489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Instead of lessons, I chose to buy a new set of clubs. (Nike sumo2 driver, Nike sumo irons 3H-Awedge). I was hitting them flawlessly at the range. Played my first round with them yesterday and shot an amazing 123 . EVERY shot i hit was off the hossel. It was brutal. Shot a 67 going out, contiplated calling it a day, decided to buy 9 beers and fight through it and shot a 56 coming back in. Sadly enough the shot of the day was on a 210 yard par 3. I had a 20 mph in my face, so i pulled out the big dog. After being harrassed by my playing partners, i managed to hit it into the green side bunker. Ended up making my only bogey of the day. . Needless to say I am signing up for lessons TODAY!

Edit: Sorry, meant to post this in "Golf Talk"

Where did you play?
I went out at San Jac yesterday for a quick 9.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Played my first round with them yesterday and shot an amazing 123

123......Wow. That's a BIG number! At least your game play that day matched your screenname. Congratulations on your bogie!

123......Wow. That's a BIG number! At least your game play that day matched your screenname. Congratulations on your bogie!

Yah, I had to bust out the calculator! Im thinking about changing my screenname to "underpar" or "PerfectSwing". Screw it, new name is "TIGER"!! I cant wait to hit the course now!

It's OK, Shanko. I mis-appropriated the $1000 worth of "equipment and lessons" last summer. I took a lesson last week and have another this weekend, and it's already money better spent (I paid up front for 5, of which last week's was the first) than the equipment last summer.

(Note: the irons weren't last summer. Buying those was money well spent!)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel for you. I bought my new set of custom built and fitted clubs and took them to the range for the first time on Wednesday and sliced everything from driver to wedge. Thursday was the first night of my first 9 hole league and this time the driver was hitting a low left pull/draw. I did happen the hit a few nice shots with the irons but came in with a 61.

Went out on Saturday in cold drizzly weather and by the 9th hole the driver had straightened out and hitting long. By the end of the day I shot a 101 with a 10 on the first hole and a 7 on number two with a snowman later.

Did get my first birdie of the year on the par 4 eighteenth.

Barry

In the Bag

Custom Built
Driver - R7 Draw 460 / Matrix Studio 84 Shaft X-Stiff
3 Wood - Kest S S.D. T-Steel / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-Stiff5 Wood - Kent S S.D. T-Steel / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-Stiff3 Hybrid - RX Low Pro / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-StiffIrons - 4-PW C1 Tour / Precision Rifle...

Wedges - Titlest Vokey Wedges SM5 56-14 and 52-12

Congrats on the birdie coffee!

I snuck out to the range on my lunch break. I hit a small bucket of balls, and did not hit one good shot. Anyone want to buy some new NIKE'S?????? . This game is quite frustrating at times!! Luckily, rain is in the forecast for the next 6 days. Maybe the time off will do some good... Does anyone know a good doctor who will write me a perscription for the SHANKS???

Congrats on the birdie coffee!

Rain shmain. Let's go out to the range and see if we can get rid of your shanking, lol.

I'm thinking about going in a little while if it's not closed for the rain.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

...EVERY shot i hit was off the hossel. It was brutal....

Check your right hip. On the down swing you might be moving your right hip forward first, instead of turning your left hip back. This causes the club plane to shift forward, so the hosel hits the ball instead of the club face. Look up the "Top 25 Golf Pro Lesson Fix your Shanks!" video by Shawn Clement on Youtube to watch what I'm talking about (skip ahead to the 3:00 minute mark). Also see his "Hogan Power Drill" video if the hip turn is the issue.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Check your right hip. On the down swing you might be moving your right hip forward first, instead of turning your left hip back. This causes the club plane to shift forward, so the hosel hits the ball instead of the club face. Look up the "Top 25 Golf Pro Lesson Fix your Shanks!" video by Shawn Clement on Youtube to watch what I'm talking about (skip ahead to the 3:00 minute mark). Also see his "Hogan Power Drill" video if the hip turn is the issue.

Thanks for the tip squaddie!

Note: This thread is 5489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!