IGNORED

Golf Shoes - Standard or Wide?

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When it comes to golf shoes, do you normally go for the standard-fit or the wide-fit? And does the fit that you get for your golf shoes match that of your regular / dress shoes?

I've been looking at a seller on eBay who sells a ton of shoes, and who has a huge amount of feedback. I'm guessing they're a wholeseller or similar, because it's usually the same type of shoe that they list over and over.

I'm looking at buying a pair of Adidas University II's from the seller. However, they come in both regular and wide for that style and size, and I'm not sure what to get. I wear a wide when it comes to dress and tennis shoe, so I assume it'll probably be the same with the golf shoes as well. However, I don't have any local retailers to be able to go to, to try that brand on.

So, I figured I would ask you guys as to what your thoughts were, and what you think I should do. I've never worn a pair of golf shoes before, so I have no idea how they fit.

Thanks!

GPPGolf is selling those shoes for $20 plus shipping. Also includes free socks if the promo hasn't ended. Just FYI.

You could always order from TGW and abuse their free return shipping to try things on. You'll likely lose out on the 5 bucks or so it costs for them to ship it in the first place, but it's a small price to pay for first hand knowledge.

I've never tried on Wide shoes.... always just get regular. Specifically in the model your talking about (the white/red color) The regular 12s fit me just about the same as ever other size 12 adidas shoe.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I think you can more readily "adjust" the shoe if it's too wide, by tightening the laces and wearing thicker socks. If it's too narrow though, you may as well throw them away. I once walked nine holes in shoes that were too tight, OUCH! Changed into tennis shoes at the turn.

I would err on the side of too wide. Especially since your other shoes fit better that way. Check the feedback of the seller and see what others are saying about the sizes, especially those who have ordered wide.

Or, ask the seller if you order two pairs can you return the poorer fitting one back for a refund. Good sellers are flexible and may allow that type of deal knowing they will get one pair sold.

How a shoe fits depends on the style or last (the form used in making the shoe). If you typically need a wide then you will probably need a wide golf shoe or a 1/2 size larger medium. You really need to try the shoe on to determine the fit. Some people order two sizes and return the pair that does not fit. If you are between sizes, always go for the larger.

Edit: Mr3Putt is right. He posted his response while I was typing mine.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

I wear wides in most brands... 13 to be exact. I always buy FJ golf shoes and Nike tennis shoes, but my dress shoes vary. I have found that 80% of the time I need a wide... some brands (Sketchers) will fit in regular. HOWEVER, I did have a pair of regular size 13 Adidas golf shoes, and they fit, but they were tight and I would rather have had wides.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

all of it depends on the width of your feet, and what you prefer. Get something comfortable that has some support, and doesn't slide all over the place when you are walking on the side of hills (as you would be). I have black nike airs that are heaven. try and spend some time looking for good golf shoes because if you have bad ones, it will make you even more tired by the end of the day. Comfy shoes make for comfy play.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I myself prefer medium width shoes, and as for style I buy one athletic looking pair to wear with shorts and the more dressy type to wear with slacks. My problem is that I have narrow heels, and that's much harder to deal with than wide feet :(

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

I like wide width shoes. It must be nice to get the normal shoes. I have super wide feet and it is hell finding even tennis shoes. I almost always get nike's wide tennis shoes but when it comes to golf shoes the only ones i have found the be wide enough are footjoy. Nike's wides are too tight and i am really dissappointed that addidas' are also this way because i like alot of there shoes.

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Pretty sure's its Standard for me...I think I tried on a bunch of golf shoes last year and size 13 fits me perfectly...basically for all shoes/sneakers

i wear a 12 to 13 as well, but most golf shoes are still too narrow. i did find a golf shoe that is wide though, Byte BioSport. http://northvanmike.net/?p=639

My Blog

Thanks all for the input. I figured that I would probably be better off with the wide shoes, since that's most of what I wear anyway. Since I don't have any local shops around here to try the shoes out at, I just took my best guess, and I went ahead and purchased them.

Now I just have to sit back, wait, try not to be too impatient, and look forward to trying them out!

I generally wear wide shoes but my current Footjoy Contours are medium width and they are perfect. I would go to a retailer and try on the shoes you want or something from the same manufacturer that is similar and then buy online.

When it comes to golf shoes, do you normally go for the standard-fit or the wide-fit? And does the fit that you get for your golf shoes match that of your regular / dress shoes?

I wear a 13W in most every dress / work / casual shoe. I generally get the same size in golf shoes.....depending on the fit. FootJoys seem to run wider than NIKEs.....these are the two brands I've worn this past year.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Can I forward this comment to Mrs3Putt? According to her, it would be a first!

I know what you mean. Based on my experience it's best not to push your luck.

Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!