IGNORED

Skycaddie buying advice please

Note: This thread is 5479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I think I am into buying a skycaddie this year from my golf shop, and am really having a tough time deciding between the SG 2.5 or the SG 5. Do any of you have any prefences or any advice on which model I should be considering more? Does the SG 5 have any more features compared to the 2.5 that would be beneficial to my game? or is the 2.5 got all the features minus the color screen and the heafty price tag? I heard the SG 5 will work with both a Mac and PC but the 2.5 only works with PC. Anyways thanks for the help

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

Simpler the better, the last thing you want is 50 different options when the pressure is on. Front, middle, back and trouble carry yardages from the tee is all the amature needs.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I love the SkyCaddie. I don't have to have a steady hand to use the sky. I don't have to worry about shooting the tree behind the green and hitting a 7 iron from 124 yds. I don't have to clear my blurry eye from using the rangefinder. I just go to my ball and look at the screen. It gives me yardage front, middle and back and any key points otherwise.
The big difference between the 2.5 and 5.0 is size, price and color screen. If you far sighted, investigate the 5. It has the easier to read screen. Whatever you do, buy sky.

PC with Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Mac OS 10.3.9 or above, Intel or PowerPC processor

that part was easy.

i don't know about the 2.5 units, they're advertised as "entry level". i see on the website that 3.5's are coming out very soon, but i think the only difference is the batteries. anyways, do they still make SG3 or SG4's? that would be my choice. SG5 is nice, but too $$ for just colour display. btw, SkyCaddie has done a lot of firmware upgrades recently. it now holds up to 20 courses, it keeps track of shots, putts, and it also has a clock on it now.

My Blog

Whatever you do, buy sky.

I disagree completely...

I have compared my iGolf to a sky caddie and laser, and my iGolf had just as accurate of yardages as the SG5. I have used mine for over 100 rounds and it is still working great. I have also used it on at least 30 different courses, and only 1 has had bad yardages... and I heard they have fixed that course. In my opinion there are better GPS units for the money than ANY of the Skycaddie models. some good ones... iGolf / Bushnell Neo - $150 gives you 4 custom points, plus F,B,C. Has pretty much any course you might want and works very well. Absolutely the BEST bang for the buck. uPro Callaway GPS - $400 but it is by FAR the best GPS on the market as far as features and abilty to measure ANYTHING. Golf Buddy - $350-430 depending on model, but NO ANNUAL FEES. Good mix of features and simplicity.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Ya I dont think I will go for the SG 5, thinking I dont need a bigger unit than the SG 2.5. But just thinking how Skycaddie can still be charging for subscriptions when all these other companies are selling units without them . Wonder if it is possible that they will get rid of the annual fees at some point to stay competitive.

Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

Simpler the better, the last thing you want is 50 different options when the pressure is on. Front, middle, back and trouble carry yardages from the tee is all the amature needs.

I agree and that is why I got the Golf Logix unit made my Garmin. Just got it last week and it is absolutely amazing. How did I play without this thing? To the OP, you may have already decided, but if not, compare the unit you are looking at to the Golf Logix. It has a $30 year fee, holds 20 courses, gives all the info you need, and is $269 on Amazon. There is also 268 (4 star) reviews on Amazon you could read over if you are not familiar with the unit. It is waterproof and durable. Just turn it on and go. Nothing else to do the rest of the round. Childproof. And if it is Skycaddie you want, be sure to check prices at Amazon. Got my Golf Logix there for $229 and it was $299 on the Golf Logix website. I notice the price has went up to $269 in the last two weeks. Not sure why, but the prices are good on Amazon at times. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-8-G...1184818&sr;=8-1 http://golfgps.com/ .

I have the 2.5 and love it... I don't mind the annual subscription, $50 for the entire US. Not sure if they charge the fee because they actually pay someone to walk the courses to map them. I think some of the other units map via satelite imagry.

Thanks NVM for the heads up on the new features. I wish it was as simple as a firmware upgrade but it's a $20 upgrade. Going to look into and probably get. Pretty cool features.

2.5 has the same features as the 5 just not color and it has a smaller display. Works for me just fine. Lasers may be more accurate but I certainly don't have the steadiness to use one effectively.

I'm sure there are many discussions on here about the various units....

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

uPro Callaway GPS

I have a SkyCaddie SG5, and it's only because I got it from my dad when he bought the uPro. He and I use the GPS units differently, and it seems like the SkyCaddie fits me whereas the uPro fits him. I just wnat a quick number to a general area on the green without much fuss, and he wants exact yardages to anything and everything on the course. I must say though that watching the "flyover" views on the uPro would definatly come in handy if you are playing a course for the first time. It's the same as pressing 'select' while playing Tiger Woods on PlayStation.

I have a SkyCaddie SG5, and it's only because I got it from my dad when he bought the uPro. He and I use the GPS units differently, and it seems like the SkyCaddie fits me whereas the uPro fits him. I just wnat a quick number to a general area on the green without much fuss, and he wants exact yardages to anything and everything on the course. I must say though that watching the "flyover" views on the uPro would definatly come in handy if you are playing a course for the first time. It's the same as pressing 'select' while playing Tiger Woods on PlayStation.

I'm kind of the same way... give me a couple numbers and I'm set to go. The flyover feature is sick though, and would be great for new courses when on vacation and stuff. It's also cool that you can measure literally ANYTHING, even if you only need such once every 5 rounds.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Thanks for the input guys, but still think the Skycaddie is the one. Im not to hip with the membership fees but sfter looking online at the other GPS out there Skycaddie is the only one that has the courses mapped that I play in my area, and that makes it kind of a no brainer really. The cool thing is my course here has both models the SG 2.5 and the SG 5 for demos so will take one out today and check them out.

Irons - CCi steel stiff

I use the SG4 and have been happy with it... Price has been reduced to $199 I believe... Has nice features, you can just use the front, middle, back yardages or get more detailed yardages to bunkers, hazards, etc... I'm sure the other brands are good, I just had experience using SkyCaddie...

I will say this, the commercial for the GolfBuddy makes me laugh when the 17 hdcp lady says she sometimes forgets to write down her scores on the "scoresheet" and the GolfBuddy helps her total her score at the end of the round... LMAO

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

I just picked up the SG3 for $160.00 free shipping on ebay. Used it for the first time this week, it was great. I have played a lot of rounds with partners who use them so I figured I would make the investment. After reading different posts on here I decided to go with the SG3 for the batteries. On more than a few occasions I have seen friends GPS's charges run out in the middle of a round. Good luck.

Note: This thread is 5479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!