IGNORED

Country Clubbers... good deal?

MSB256
Note: This thread is 5483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For 25 years I have lived literally two minutes (if that) down the street from a country club. It's one of three that I know of and probably the oldest one in my city (est. 1925). So it's not the nicest, but it's still nice. Make sense?

Well my brother in law and sister have considered joining the one near my house as opposed to one on the nicer side of town where they live. At first I was trying to push my bro-in-law to join so that I could play as a guest. Turns out the only days it would make sense would be on tues. and thur. after work because I could play for $20... however, on the weekend I'm looking at $64 bucks. So really, him being a member only allows me to get out there, not play much.

Seeing as how I've heard of junior memberships (I'm 26), I went up there to inquire. Here's what I would be looking at:

$500 to join the club... (3 year contract basically, so $1,500 over 3 years)
$130 a month
No food requirements
Free, unlimited use of the range for the rest of 2009.

I think it's worth it. I play golf at least 4 to 6 times a month. I pay $22 to walk and $45 to ride at the places I play. The $22 course where I walk is a good 25 to 30 minutes away and the $45 course I ride is about 20 minutes away. I also drive 10 minutes to a driving range 1 or 2 times a week and pay $10 for a large bucket of balls.

I'm not well off by any means and I don't make that much money as this is my first full time, real job, but these days, I am blessed just to have a job. If not for the initial $500 membership, it'd be an easy decision. But folks, this place is literally 2 turns away from my house, turn right out of my driveway, hang another right into the parking lot. haha.

I spend $130 a month on golf anyway, so why not? If someone can talk me out of it then give me your best shot.

Sorry this got so long, just looking for suggestions.
Bag:
Driver: '09 Burner 9.5*
3 wood: SQ2
Hybrid 3: SQ2
Irons 4 - AW: r7SW: Vokey SM 56FW: 64Putter: fastbackBalls: NXT Tour

The thing that has kept me from joining a local country club is that I like to play a lot of different courses. I spend the money each month that would pay for CC membership and golf, but because I like to change courses often and play in different places several times a year (WV and SC to name 2) I would end up pay way to much to play 1-2 times per month at the course. i would like the range privleges, but other than that it would be wasted.

If you like the course (make sure you get to play it before signing to join), and you're happy to play the same course 4-6 times per month, every month then go for it. You might be able to get them to give you a break on the initiation fee (a lot of courses are doing this now because memberships are dropping fast). Also, make sure there is not clubhouse fees or other fees that they are not telling you about up front. Often times there are a lot of other 'required' fees that are associated with the membership that they do not spring on you until you are just about ready to sign (or after in some cases).
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

PiKapp kind of beat me to the punch... Check on the range priviledges, you mentioned that they were free for the rest of 2009, what about 2010 and 2011? The range plan at my old club was $330/yr for the family.

The only concern that I would pose to you would be that you are going to be paying roughly $172/month for twelve months. Not sure if the weather in Huntsville allows for year round play but you might have a couple of months where you are paying and not playing as much.

We recently resigned from a club as their dues and capital fees kept rising. We found another course near by that was much cheaper. The other thing to consider is that you might feel compelled to play only at your club because you are paying regardless if you play. Might not play the variety of courses you're playing now...

just my 2 cents...

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

I have spoken in depth with many people about why they have joined a private club.

The best short answer that I can come up with is it is about convenience and getting a tee time when you want without much hassle. Also, the pace of play tends to be better and typically the course is better maintained.

While it seems that the junior rate where you are at makes this a no brainer for you. You would have the option to go and play 3-4 holes one evening if you wanted to go practice without thinking about wasting a greens fee. With such low rates they probably allow more members than some more expensive private clubs but it should still be less crowded than a muni or daily fee track.

I am probably a year or two off from joining a private club, but in Milwaukee I am looking at $8,000 - $15,000 initiation (for the lower end private clubs) with ~$500 per month in dues / F&B.; The decision for me is not about value but one of convenience.

Regards,
-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

Good point guys... variety is one thing that I'm not sure about...

Huntsville has nice weather. We do get our 20 degree days in the winter, but a week later it might get up in the 40's and I'll play in that.

My one concern would be variety. If I pay monthly dues, I'd probably feel like I always need to play there. Plus, my fiance will frown on my playing anywhere else, so if I join, that's where I'm playing. Granted, if the course is nice I might not mind that.

Maybe I should indeed play it one time and see if it's nice enough to give up the other nice ones in our area. We have a Robert Trent Jones course I play but it's 20 minutes away and $45 bucks.

It just seems really convenient to have a course right down the street, plus have free range privileges. I would literally hit golf balls 5 or 6 days a week.
Bag:

I agree with a lot of what Pi Kap said. Especially being able to play other courses will just add to your golf expense. My dad always had a membership at a course and had no problems playing it every day of the week. He had little interest in playing other courses.

From a cost perspective, it sounds like a good deal. Especially in Alabama where you probably get good weather at least 10 months of the year, if not all year. If you know others at the course and don't mind playing it all the time, then do it. You will probably play more than you think if you have a membership so the cost will be justified.

I know if I had the time to play at least 5-6 times a month I would take that deal in a second, if the course was good enough. I would't want to play a cow pasture all the time, but if the course was fun and challenging I would play it all the time.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

For 25 years I have lived literally two minutes (if that) down the street from a country club. It's one of three that I know of and probably the oldest one in my city (est. 1925). So it's not the nicest, but it's still nice. Make sense?

$130 a month with the club so close to your house, with no food requirments sounds like a good deal to me...Unlimited use of the practice facillities is a huge plus. You'll save the most money there.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

The best short answer that I can come up with is it is about convenience and getting a tee time when you want without much hassle. Also, the pace of play tends to be better and typically the course is better maintained.

My bro-in-law spoke to a friend of his who is a member. Apparently it's not very crowded. Wednesday's are crowded and Saturday mornings are crowded, but he says if you wait till 1 o'clock on weekends there's not many people out there. Plus I can get in 18 after work most days. Or I can play on saturday afternoon and sunday mornings...

PiKapp kind of beat me to the punch... Check on the range priviledges, you mentioned that they were free for the rest of 2009, what about 2010 and 2011? The range plan at my old club was $330/yr for the family.

After 2009, I'll be looking at $185 a year of unlimited driving range.

Bag:

Anyone have time to see the course?

If so, here's the link... http://hcc1925.com/GolfCourse.aspx

You can pick a hole on the drop down menu and click "view hole" to get a look at the course/each hole... Hole's 1 and 13 look pretty nice... as do the rest of them.

Looks nice enough to play 4 to 6 times a month, maybe more... but I wonder if I'd miss the other courses I play.

I'd love to go after work and see how many I could get in before it gets dark... I'm betting from 5:30 to 8:00 I can get 18.
Bag:

Is the $500 an initiation fee/one time? Any stock purchase requirements? You mentioned the $500 is an annual fee for 3 years perhaps this is a program to spread out a $1,500 intiation fee? I think in these times you should definately barter with them regarding the costs...

You're up to roughly $188/month...

MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

Is the $500 an initiation fee/one time? Any stock purchase requirements? You mentioned the $500 is an annual fee for 3 years perhaps this is a program to spread out a $1,500 intiation fee? I think in these times you should definately barter with them regarding the costs...

From my understanding, there are no stock purchase requirements.

And yes, the three year thing is pretty much just to spread out the $1,500. It's $500 plus two additional $500 payments annually. The only reason I'm even considering this is the location being 2 minutes down the road and the unlimited range/golf I can play. My brother in law is looking at $1,000 to sign up and about 4 payments of $500 as opposed to my two. So being a junior helps me out a lot. We may talk to them and see what kinda deal they can give us if we both sign up.
Bag:

I agree with what everyone has said so far. Ask before you join about play days. Is the course closed on Monday for maintenance, Women's league on Tuesday afternoon, Junior league on Wednesday afternoon and such. One of my friends quit the club he joined because all of the "special" things going on, the only time he could get on the course was Saturday and Sunday.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Anyone have time to see the course?

Given the rates you have quoted, the location with respect to your house, the quality of the course, I now think you would be foolish not to take advantage.

Perhaps find out when you get out of the junior memebership range and into young exec. range and full member range. It would suck to get hooked on a nice place only to not be able to afford the price increases. Regards, -E

In my Grom bag:

5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

I agree with what everyone has said so far. Ask before you join about play days. Is the course closed on Monday for maintenance, Women's league on Tuesday afternoon, Junior league on Wednesday afternoon and such. One of my friends quit the club he joined because all of the "special" things going on, the only time he could get on the course was Saturday and Sunday.

Good Point, it is indeed closed for maintenance on Monday. Not sure about the other days but I'll ask for sure.

You guys are kinda making me lean towards not joining... haha
Bag:

being close to work/home is big. The club we used to belong to was less than 10 minutes from my work; I could hit the range/chipping green every day at lunch which was nice. My new club is closer to home but just a bit too far for me to get out during lunch. I'm playing the same amount but not getting in that valuable practice time.

Good luck...

Given the rates you have quoted, the location with respect to your house, the quality of the course, I now think you would be foolish not to take advantage.

I will be considered a junior till 29... I'm 26 now... then I'll be a young executive member till age 36... from then on it's full resident.

Did you look at the course? Looks nice, but I will definitely ask to play it once before joining... I drive by it 5 days a week on the way home from work... now I keep looking over there, haha
Bag:

I will be considered a junior till 29... I'm 26 now... then I'll be a young executive member till age 36... from then on it's full resident.

I took a look at a few holes. It looked very well kept and nice. Last year was the first year I started playing seriously (more than 40 rounds/year) prior to that is was 3-5 rounds per year. Last year I thought I would want variety. Now I find that I like to play only 1-2 courses that I have visited. They are the better kept ones that are a good value. Of course any of the courses that have had $95-$180 dollar greens fees that I have played I would love to play all the time. If I were going to pay that fee regularly I would go to a private club for sure. If I had the option that you did to join that course I would jump at it in a second. Knowing a golf course and it sublties has been nicer than variety for me. Regards, -E

In my Grom bag:

Don't shy off from joining, just go prepared. My brother quit his club because they nickel and dimed him to much. $5 extra a month for ditch repair, $10 a month for flood damage repair, $5 a month for parking lot expansion and so on. This is all kind of the negative, the positive, my brother's club was a few miles from his work and home, he could work, get in nine holes and still get home before his wife.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 5483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!