IGNORED

Chipping-Open or Neutral?

Note: This thread is 5455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My querey is whether you hit a standard chip or you go for an open face type chip with a little air.

The reason I'm asking is for the life of me a standard chip for me just doesn't feel right,there are just those times when in a medium fringe with less than 20 ft to the flag,and you try to hit with some feel it just chunks and yes my set-up is fine.If I accelerate then I end up past but with a good contact.

Thing is I have always been good at bunkers and flops in fluffy lies and have found these quite natural,so I started hitting chips like this,turns out it's quite a practiced method of chipping.

Which do you subscribe too?

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

It depends on what kind of chip I'm trying to hit. My stance is open, shoulders square. Face open depending on the height of the chip and whether I want it to run out or not.

I'd suggest that if your chunking it, the problem is either that your wrists are breaking down through the shot, or that your weight is shifting. Next time you chip really focus on getting your weight forwards and set your wrists before you start and keep them that way.

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

My querey is whether you hit a standard chip or you go for an open face type chip with a little air.

On these short chips where there's half or more of the green between you and the ball, I use my pitching, gap, or sand wedge and a regular chipping motion. Same momentum - same ball position. With my gap wedge and the ball not all the way on my right foot, my gap wedge chip is 50% air, 50% roll.

When chipping the easiest thing to do (and least likely to result in a big number) is to get the ball on the green and rolling as quickly as possible. Whatever club and shot is needed to accomplish this depending on the amount of green available and speed of the greens.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Note: This thread is 5455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!