IGNORED

My Gripe with Bias Drivers! (Phil)

ggNic
Note:Β This thread is 6576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I was looking around online and saw that the USGA is lightly toying
with the notion of rolling back the size of the drivers on tour. My
though on that situation is good luck with that. Every loves to see
tour players bombing it out there around 330+. Do you think they could ever get away with it?

Something that just started to bother me is the creation of the "bias"
drivers on tour. Shouldn't these guys be able to shape their own
shots? My thought is if they cannot hit a draw, why should they be
allowed to carry a club that does it for them? (Phil) To me it has
taken away from the skill level of the game. Guys do not have to
change their swing; they can just buy it instead. It's somewhat pathetic, in my most humble of opinions.
Let me know what you think.

In The Bag:Driver: Srixon W-403 9.5 StiffFwy: #4 V-Steel Graphite StiffIrons: Srixon I-403 3-PWWedges: Rac Satin 52,56,60Putter: Hawk Bettinardi Model 11 35"Ball: Srixon Z-URS

• Administrator
I was looking around online and saw that the USGA is lightly toying with the notion of rolling back the size of the drivers on tour. My though on that situation is good luck with that. Every loves to see tour players bombing it out there around 330+. Do you think they could ever get away with it?

I haven't seen anything of the sort being mentioned, and I read enough golf sites of people who would jump all over such a thing.

Also, the USGA has no control over "the tour." The PGA Tour is a completely different entity. The USGA presides over the rules of golf for the United States and Mexico.
Something that just started to bother me is the creation of the "bias" drivers on tour. Shouldn't these guys be able to shape their own shots? My thought is if they cannot hit a draw, why should they be allowed to carry a club that does it for them? (Phil) To me it has taken away from the skill level of the game. Guys do not have to change their swing; they can just buy it instead. It's somewhat pathetic, in my most humble of opinions. Let me know what you think.

My belief is that if Phil is willing to give up another club, so be it. You can carry 14. If he wanted four five-irons and ten drivers, so be it. Guys did it in the old days with lead tape, and many carried two-woods... very little has actually changed.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see. I just think that a "Pro" golfer should be able to create the draw or fade on there own. They are playing at the elite level. It's not fair to another player on tour that can create these shots without buying the club that does it for him. If Phil wanted to carry two different lofted drivers fine, but don't take the easy way out and buy a club that will enable him to hit a shot he CANNOT normally do on his own.

As far as the light rumor I have caught wind of, the USGA is the governing body for golf in the US. There is no way they will be able to go backwards in the volume of the drivers. For so many reasons this notion will be snuffed out before we hear much about it.

In The Bag:Driver: Srixon W-403 9.5 StiffFwy: #4 V-Steel Graphite StiffIrons: Srixon I-403 3-PWWedges: Rac Satin 52,56,60Putter: Hawk Bettinardi Model 11 35"Ball: Srixon Z-URS

Pros have been altering the bias dynamics of their clubs for decades with lead tape and different grinds. Today's clubs just take these principles and incorporate them into clubhead design. Phil could take your grandad's Powerbilt persimmon and hit whatever shots he wants - carrying two drivers just makes it easier for him to put the ball in the places he wants to be. Nothing pathetic about it, seems like a smart decision considering he won the Masters.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

He is only using one driver this week.

If he wants to carry 13 drivers and a putter, let him.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

Yeah. I don't quite get the complaint. Phil gets to take 2 drivers where a 'more skilled' player, who can shape his/her shots, only carries 1. Shouldn't the 'more skilled' player gain so advantage? Oh wait. That player gets an extra club in the bag (a wedge or something). The player who can shape shots and control trajectory will always have an advantage. The rules currently limit the amount of 'help' that equipment can provide (e.g., limit on the number of clubs and not allowing changes to equipment during a round). So what's the big deal? As Dave Pelz said, if you think that carrying two putters would improve your ability to score, do it.

I remember a discussion about this a few weeks back on the Golf Channel ....

They felt it would never fly because the larger the CC, the less ability there is to shape their shots ... "or so said" ...

In the meantime I've played with 2 drivers in my bag for almost a year and I feel it works for me ... (I should have patented the idea .l.o.l.)

As far as Phil is concerned .. hey, if he want's to play with 7 drivers and 7 irons - have at it .....

Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

Can any of you hit a draw or a fade whenever you want? I know I can on most days. But it is really hard to switch from swing to swing. This same way it would be hard for Phil to do that. If Phil can just use one swing and get 2 different flights, it seems like a smart thing to do.

It's not fair to another player on tour that can create these shots without buying the club that does it for him. \

Firstly I can't believe you think theseguy's actually pay for there driver's They have altering there driver's to create bias for year's with the use of lead tape, hot glue. Yes you may have a bias driver but you still have to execute the shot

The pros get all their clubs and clothes free, and tweek them each week with the company club maker in the van. Actually they get paid to use and wear equipment and clothes. some more than others but the point is they do not have to pay for anything.

R7Β 9.5Β S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

• Administrator
Can any of you hit a draw or a fade whenever you want? I know I can on most days. But it is really hard to switch from swing to swing. This same way it would be hard for Phil to do that. If Phil can just use one swing and get 2 different flights, it seems like a smart thing to do.

I regularly shape my driver one way or the other. The 11th hole at my course requires a hard fade, while two holes later, the 13th, I have to hit a pretty hard draw. I've been struggling to hit draws lately, so that hole (and a few others, like #2 at my course) have been harder for me, but I've also shaped the ball around the course, too, and not just from the tee.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
I was looking around online and saw that the USGA is lightly toying

Since I'm previously on record as having said "I've seen nothing of the sort," basically, I'm now pointing

this article out. However, it says:
Although Rugge confirmed there was discussion about clubhead size, he was quick to dismiss it as anything other than that--talk. "It was theoretical," Rugge said. "Everything is theoretical at this point. There are no plans to make any changes on this. None."

I read that the whole idea behind the 2 driver thing was so that he could use one swing all the time, and not be trying to swing differently when the pressure is on, so that he can just swing rather than trying to work the ball one way or the other. Unfortunatly this cant correct choosing to hit the driver on the 72nd hole and making a double when you needed par to win, bogey to tie

... Welcome back.!

These are brave soldiers doing brave things everyday .. we are honored.!
Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

After sitting back with my ears and opinins open, I see that I am on the other side of the fence than the majority. I have found something that makes me feel a little better about my stance.

I was reading July 2006 issue of Golf Digest and reading the "101 Secrets to Great Golf' and came accross some one who is on my side. On page 161, secret #76 from Frank Thomas (Golf Digest Chief Technical Advisor) takes my side. Check it out and you'll see that carrying two different bias drivers in your bag is shady. Pro golfers should be able to use Neutral bias drivers only. If they want to carry different lofts, fine. Give up another club to do that. Don't carry one that gives you a shot you cannot consistantly hit on your own. that is my opinion and I'm going to stand by it. Even if I am all by myself.

Exactly what I meant by lightly toying with the notion. I obviously believe they would never get aawy with it. I work in the golfing industry and also know that tour players do not pay for their clubs or anything else for that matter.
I am saying that a "Professional Golfer" someone that gets paid to golf, should not be able to use a bias driver. Use a neutral and learn to hit the shot on your own. Same swing, different ball flight, it's crap. Don't cop-out and get a club to do the work for you.

Sure Nicolas. They should probly have to use old persimon woods and balata balls too. Maybe Niblics and featheries should be on the menu for all Masters from now on. Maybe your company should not be allowed to sell over the internet. You should be able to go door to door to sell your wares, but you don't. You have found tools avaiable to make your JOB easier, and able to compete better in your field, and take advantage of them. Why can't pro golfers take advantage of the new tools in their JOB like you?
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

Note:Β This thread is 6576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!