IGNORED

Future Job in PGA

pchaney301
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have absolutely no idea where this should go, so maybe a mod can fix it if its in the wrong place.

I have really been considering a job in golf over the last while, and I am going to see what I can do to make that happen. I am a Communications major concentrating in Public Relations with hopes of heading to law school after I finish my bachelor's degree next may. Most college graduates are hurting for jobs right now, but I know there has to be something that will be a possibility. Golf is a passion of mine, and I really think that I want to pursue working in the industry.

If anybody has any advice about what I should do, please give me anything you can, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

edit: I don't know why I titled this "Job in PGA," it should have been "Job in Golf Industry."

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood
755 Irons Tri Spec S Shafts 585 19* Hybrid w/ Aldilia NV S Shaft 3DX 23* Hybrid Tour 58* wedge CG 12 56* Wedge NCX-Ray Alpha Putter

i would contact as many ppl as possible in fields you wanna persue... golf pro's... reps... etc etc... id even contact pga schools and things like that... maybe even google anything related to what youre interested in... anything to get as much info as possible
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

We actually have a Pro Golf Management (PGM) major at Mississippi State, but I wanted to go the Public Relations route and now Law School. There has to be something out there for me.

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood
755 Irons Tri Spec S Shafts 585 19* Hybrid w/ Aldilia NV S Shaft 3DX 23* Hybrid Tour 58* wedge CG 12 56* Wedge NCX-Ray Alpha Putter

Get your foot in the door first. Job at the course, golf store, etc. Anything to get into the industry.

I started working at bike shops when I was 15 and did so all through college. After college I did the shop thing for a while, looked at law school myself (actually went to orientation week before decided it just wasn't for me) and then I got a job at a major bike company and it's great. The college degree was nice, but the experience in the industry, even just at the retail level, was really important and what got me the job. Not sure it's the same in the golf industry, but it certainly can't hurt.

Driver- titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* 
Fairway Wood- titleist.gif 909F2 15.5* w/ Diamana Blue stiff
Hybrid- titleist.gif 909H 19* 
Irons- mizuno.gifMX-200 4-PW, vokey.gifSM 50.8 bent to 51*, SM 56.11, and TVD 60*M
Putter- cameron.gif Newport 2.5 

I agree with you about the experience.

I have years of experience in the motocross industry, but now I'm leaning towards golf. I grew up just knowing that I'd end up in the motocross industry, but I've just kind of drifted away from that industry.

I am going to try to get something on my resume golf related, I really think that will help in the future. There has to be numerous different jobs out there and I'm going to try to get one! Honestly, the way things are now a days, I'll be happy with just about anything after I graduate!

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood

Guess it depends what kind of job you want.You can work part time at a course, either in operations (Carts, starter) or in Maintenance or the pro shop. You can find a retail job where you'll meet the area club reps and maybe do some networking that way. You can also try to get a job as a rep, but you'll most likely need a degree and some sales experience. If you can score some passes from someone, go to the Annual PGA Merchandise show in Jan in Orlando. It's the single best place to network and see what's out there. Bring some business cards and ham it up!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Oh I am wanting to work my way up in the industry. Everyone on here knows how huge the industry is, and I believe my degree and my skills can get me a position that I will enjoy. I will graduate in may with Public Relations degree and hopefully start law school in the fall. We'll see if I can wind up in the Golf Industry

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood

We actually have a Pro Golf Management (PGM) major at Mississippi State, but I wanted to go the Public Relations route and now Law School. There has to be something out there for me.

Why not be a lawyer for the PGA Tour or PGA of America or USGA? I have a friend that works for the Dodgers, and I've met a few of their lawyers. I think with a PR major and a law degree, any one of those organizations is bound to have a use for you.

If you're looking for work as a head pro or in the actual golf side. Yeah, that PGM program is the way to go. Get your Class A. With that and the degrees you're talking about, a GM or Director of Golf position somewhere would be quite attainable. Sky's the limit for you.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Why not be a lawyer for the PGA Tour or PGA of America or USGA? I have a friend that works for the Dodgers, and I've met a few of their lawyers. I think with a PR major and a law degree, any one of those organizations is bound to have a use for you.

Thank you! Thats what I was looking for. I don't want to be a court room lawyer or anything like that, but I am very VERY interested in doing something for the PGA like you said. At first I was thinking of doing something in Sports and I've narrowed it down to golf. I just think that is a good fit for me and there is bound to be positions that would fit a PR and Law degree. There is TONS of law that goes in with the PGA tour and all major companies, etc. I still have three years or so, but now is the time to start looking and getting better ideas. Thank you for the input.

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood

If you are wanting to do something in LAW with the PGA, I would suggest trying to get in with someone that does this on some kind of apprenticeship or something. That would give you great experience when it comes time to apply for that job. It sounds like you have a very good plan and now I would just search and search trying to meet someone that could get this done. I wish I had done something like that instead of the choice I made.

My only advice is to go for it as hard as you can....it will pay off in the long run.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!