IGNORED

High handicapper slumps? are they possible?

ramrockgolfer35
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I actually AM getting worse!! I have to be honest, 120 is normal for me, but today I had to have broken 200. I didn't think this was possible, even when I was just starting out, but I couldn't hit anything at all. I normally have decent irons and good wedges, and my drives are what kill me, but I kept screwing everything up. I started to slice on one hole, use the same swing to play the slice on the next hole and it hooks!!! What am I doing wrong?!?!?! My only consolation is that on the last hole, I stuck my gap wedge for a sweet 90 yd chip right on the green and two putted. I didn't have a single sweet chip or pitch the entire round until that. I think I was just tired and not focusing on my mechanics at all. Is it normal to slump even before you break 100?

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

Slumps are part of any sport and it's not dependent on your skill level (it's all relative). I got into the 80's about 8-9 times last year. This year for the last two months, I was lucky to break 100 (sometimes I didn't). I got it back Saturday and shot an 88. No one can tell you what you're doing wrong except someone watching your swing that knows what they are talking about. It's part of the game and you just have to press through it the best you can.

Golf is a mistake management game.Last night I shot 104 but felt great.I couldn't hit the ball any better,missed a few par opportunities,missed some approaches for my second shot,3 putted maybe twice.

However for some strange reason on just 2 holes my mechanics went haywire and it was mistake followed by another then a lost ball so on....

Had an 8 on the first 9,and then a triple on 10,and 11 which made me miss out on breaking 100 again.Even when you are playing well it's still a game of margains.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Not every swing change will yield an immediate improvement in your game. There is always adjustment periods. You want to get better over the course of the season, a few bad rounds in a row doesn't indicate anything.

The last round out I shot 112 in our Thursday Medal. It was the worst scorecard I've ever submitted, yet my two playing partners were both of the opinion I had generally improved. I scored high because I have new clubs and often didn't have the right club in my hand. I also tried one or two new things that cost me a shot or two here or there. Also it seemed that every time i got off line I had to play sideways from directly behind a tree. The main difference was that my short game was garbage. The previous time out I shot 86 (off the yellows) and had one of the rounds of my life with only 31 putts, this time I didn't single putt once and had two three putts.

It happens. Good days, bad days.

In the bag:

Driver: 975D 10.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff (Alternate 8.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft)
Fairway Woods: 975F (2 From) 14.5°, 18.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff, 20.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft
3Iron-PW: S58 Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsGap Wedge: Tour-W 54/10 Nickel...

My slump has lasted since October when i got my first handicap of 18. I have only broken it on two occasions, and they weren't in competitions... Worse still, i have only ever broken 30 points in a stableford once. If i get my handicap re-assessed, i think i might feel more positive about my game.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Just some humble suggestions

When having a bad day stop keeping score and practice with your easiest club or practice from difficult lies where a bad hit is acceptable.

Go to the driving range and focus on basics with your easiest club.

Take a lesson or have a friend watch your swing.

Don't allow the slump to develop into a negative attitude. Take a vacation from keeping score.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

This game is hard. I'll say that again.......this game is hard !

And, as others have said, performance is relative. It's worth remembering that a new golfer doesn't really have a lot to judge that relative performance against. You watch the pros on tv. You read some of the posts on a forum of hardcore golfers like this, and it's easy to think that you're the worst player in the world.........and you're not. Not even close. Unfortunately, unless you were the absolute worst player in the world, I'm afraid there's always room for a slump. The good news is, there's plenty of room for improvement too, and like a kidney stone, this too, shall pass.

Enjoy the game. Minimize your expectations and take pleasure in the fact that you're out playing golf and not mowing the lawn. Dwell on the well struck shots, even if they're far between. It'll come........and until it does, I promise that you can enjoy the game just as much as a low handicapper fighting to break par......if you let yourself!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My only consolation is that on the last hole, I stuck my gap wedge for a sweet 90 yd chip right on the green and two putted. I didn't have a single sweet chip or pitch the entire round until that.

That's the golf gods sucking you back in!

Look, slumps happen. My handicap has been going north this entire season, yet I feel like I'm playing better than ever. For me, it's that one (or sometimes two) bad holes I just can't seem to keep off the card. I think the best advice I ever received when I started was to NOT try for the miracle recovery shot. Get the ball back in play the safest route. That advice is hard to actually follow when you THINK you can pull off the low hooking slice under the limb then over the next tree to roll safely between the bunkers onto the green and then breaking near the hole. Trust me, you can't. Take it one shot at a time. This slump shall pass. (remember that gap wedge you stuck?)

When that happens I play within my limitations to restore confidence. A handsy 3/4 swing with nothing longer than a 7 iron. Then I can par almost everything except the par 4's.

This game is hard. I'll say that again.......this game is

Great advice - but remember that even the "absolute worst player in the world" can get stuck in traffic and

miss his/her tee time. If you keep at it and practice, practice, practice, you will get better but it is not a straight line down to a low HCP. Good luck

Thanks to all for the great posts. I really was pleased with the last shot, though I didn't realize it until I told my wife and got the "wow" I needed. I am a very competitive person and I don't have the best amount of patience. This game has done wonders for that level of patience though, so I think there is hope. I have only been playing for about 10 months so I know I am a ways away from the score I desire. I don't have aspirations of going pro, I just want to have fun. This forum has really helped make the game fun, it is nice to know I am not the only one having a hard time with this game.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

Thanks to all for the great posts. I really was pleased with the last shot, though I didn't realize it until I told my wife and got the "wow" I needed. I am a very competitive person and I don't have the best amount of patience. This game has done wonders for that level of patience though, so I think there is hope. I have only been playing for about 10 months so I know I am a ways away from the score I desire. I don't have aspirations of going pro, I just want to have fun. This forum has really helped make the game fun, it is nice to know

For sure. You've only been playing for a short while - soon you'll realize that golf can bring you from the depths of despair to being king of the world in a matter of rounds, holes or for that matter a hole. Just hang on, try to have fun and enjoy the ride. Cheers

Those darn miracle recovery shots.I fall into this trap on at least one hole.I have a lot of self-belief and feel I can make a shot especially when I have practiced it.For instance I hit my tee shot to the right side of a fairway with a tucked green to the right of the treeline.So my second shot I can't hit the green unless I play a cut of about 210 yds.

Thinking clearly at this point I attempt to hit a lay up but snag a branch and advance 50 yds.
I now lose my head because I should just hit a PW up the centre,maybe even the first time I should do this.I attempt the cut open the face and it goes dead straight into the woods lose the ball fluff the pitch,skull across the green,get on and 2 putt.

Just a nightmare hole by not making sensible club selections based on my ability.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!