IGNORED

High shots to low shots

Felenah
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So the other day I was on the course with my buddy. He brought his friend whom Ive never met. My buddy plays Ping ISI becu and his friend plays Ping G10 with regular flex steel shafts. One thing I noticed right away was how high the guy playing the G10s hit his shots. Almost higher then my wedge shots. I play Callaway X18 pros with S300 stiff steel shafts and have never hit my 7iron that high. I was getting the same distance as the G10 guy though but with a much lower, more piercing ball flight. So to my question, is it the shaft flex that allows him to hit it high or is it the G10s with the wide sole, or his very odd swing. I know that G10s are supposed to have a mid-high ball flight but wow. I also remember reading somewhere that the more flex in a shaft the higher the ball flight but some accuracy is lost. Any opinions?

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

So the other day I was on the course with my buddy. He brought his friend whom Ive never met. My buddy plays Ping ISI becu and his friend plays Ping G10 with regular flex steel shafts. One thing I noticed right away was how high the guy playing the G10s hit his shots. Almost higher then my wedge shots. I play Callaway X18 pros with S300 stiff steel shafts and have never hit my 7iron that high. I was getting the same distance as the G10 guy though but with a much lower, more piercing ball flight. So to my question, is it the shaft flex that allows him to hit it high or is it the G10s with the wide sole, or his very odd swing. I know that G10s are supposed to have a mid-high ball flight but wow. I also remember reading somewhere that the more flex in a shaft the higher the ball flight but some accuracy is lost. Any opinions?

Everyone is different, but it could be he has a steeper swing and also plays the ball a lot more forward in his stance. I too dont hit a high ball, even with my Projext X flighted shafts. Aa stiffer shaft is "supposed" to keep the ball lower, but it probably has more to do with his particualr swing than anything else. If you're looking to hit higher, try the Project X "flighted" shafts too.

Everyone is different, but it could be he has a steeper swing and also plays the ball a lot more forward in his stance.

Hmm I remember reading somewhere that there were generally two types of golfers. Those who swing to get the ball airborn towards the target and those who swing to move the ball forward towards the target. I know I have a flat one piece swing, perhaps it could be his swing. I'll have to watch his swing and ball possition more closely next time.

In my bag:
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

Clubs make a difference, but not so much as the swing. Ball position play a small role, but there are limited variations here. Thos who hit it high usually add loft to the club somehow during the swing. Hand position being the biggest cause, but also grip and other things.

If you want to compare equipment, it would be best to do so on your own swing which is the same all the time.

On that note, I've been hitting it high for long, but it is a result of swing flaws, which I have adressed and work on. When I get a good hit it flies much lower. Some people adress with their hands way in front of the club and effectively really de-loft the club, making it go low. You can hit the same distance, but someone hitting it high normally cast and scoop, which will give shorter distance. Comparing distance with others is also difficult because of the huge amount of differences in swing and equipment. A 3 iron goes further than the 4 iron primarily because of being a longer club. The loft may contribute some to it, maybe less for players hitting it high.

I love hitting it high so the ball drop out of the sky when I'm approaching the green. But I would rather it be because of a forward ball position, and hands still in front for a nice downward strike and good compression.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree that it probably has to do more with his swing than hit clubs.

I too would suspect it is more his swing then the shaft. While different flex shafts effects ball flight, generally someone who hits a very high ball will not get penetrating ball flight from a shaft change.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Hmm perhaps it also could have been that he was hitting off a tee.

In my bag:

Yea but really good golfers, deloft their irons with their hands ahead of the ball and hit it a lot higher then amatuers.

Spin and speed. I am working on taking a good divot right now. It is something I really focus on. When I do strike it the way I want, It is about the same height as a non divot shot but it stays in the air longer and goes about 10 yards farther.

Brian

just to add to this, i also read in a magazine that if you swing your club higher in your backswing, you get a higher trajectory, not sure why or if its true but usually guys with goofy high backswings are the ones who hit it above the clouds

In my Callaway stand bag:
R5 10.5*
4 Hybrid 22*
Burner 09 Irons 5-AW
Z groove 54* Z groove 58* 2 ball putter Pro-V1

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!