IGNORED

Driver Tips

Note: This thread is 5575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I have a huge problem with my driver and woods. Whenever I use the driver, my ball flight is very low. Almost immediately touches the ground or hangs in the air for a little bit. On top of that, my ball starts right or straight and turns left sharply.

I've been looking at some videos, but was wondering if somebody can add some insight.

I place the club in the middle of my stance. The ball lined to the inside edge of my left foot. 40/60 weight distribution (left/right).
The driver swing is more dependent on my right foot, but I'm not sure how to swing.

Any help would be great!

Slowly building my set.

In my Vaporlite Bag:

Driver: SQ DYMO STR-8 FIT 10.5°Woods: R9 Fairway #3 15°Hybrid: Rescue Hybrid #3 19°Irons: R7 3-PWWedges: 588 DSG Gunmetal 56° Spin Milled 260.08Putter: Black Series Tour #2

This is probably stating the obvious but it sounds like you have the face too shut at impact, so you're hitting a low (duck?) hook. How do your irons fly?

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 3-wood, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 5-wood, stiff Exsar FS2 MP-60 3-PW, reg TT dynamic gold MP Tour Style 54.10 and 60.09,reg TT dynamic gold Bobby Grace DCT Response, w/ golf pride "2 thumb" grip B330S

I have no problems with my irons. I hit a slight draw.

I just have no idea how to hit a driver.
I dont know the mechanics. Its obviously different from the iron. I need help lol

I know most people here will say take lessons. I completely agree, but I would like to get an idea of how you guys set up your driver.

Slowly building my set.

In my Vaporlite Bag:

Driver: SQ DYMO STR-8 FIT 10.5°Woods: R9 Fairway #3 15°Hybrid: Rescue Hybrid #3 19°Irons: R7 3-PWWedges: 588 DSG Gunmetal 56° Spin Milled 260.08Putter: Black Series Tour #2

Forgive me if this is stuff you already know:

.Tee the ball up so that at least a half of it is above the top of the driver and address the ball just off your left heel.

.Set up with a wider stance than usual and with your shoulders tilted slightly upwards (with the left shoulder marginally higher than the right).

. From here its a normal swing except you want to start the club out low for the first foot or so (almost drag it along the ground) and hit the ball on the UPSWING. So the club reaches the bottom of the ark at least a foot before impact (the tilting of the shoulders I mentioned ensures this).

. The final point is regarding an area which I admit I struggle with, this is the fact that a driver swing requires different footwork to any other shot. The best drivers I've talked to all have their weight on their right foot at impact and just after impact they seem to move into thir finish position with the weight on the left foot. But again I wouldn't take that last point as gospel because I'm not totally sure, perhaps someone can enlighten me?

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 5-wood, stiff Exsar FS2 MP-60 3-PW, reg TT dynamic gold MP Tour Style 54.10 and 60.09,reg TT dynamic gold Bobby Grace DCT Response, w/ golf pride "2 thumb" grip B330S

thanks for the tips!

im going to try this next time i visit the driving range.

what about weight distribution? i was told to put 40/60 (left/right) and when i make the downswing that more weight should be put on the right leg so there is 30/70.

Slowly building my set.

In my Vaporlite Bag:

thanks for the tips!

That sounds about right to me.

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2

When I hit that low duck hook I lay the club off at the top and just can't recover from it. I take a small laser pointer and hold it so that I can make sure I'm on plane. When the pointer is outside the ball I tend to start the swing with my shoulders, come over the top and hit that pull hook.

I don't intend to hijack this thread, but I don't seem to have permission to post a new thread. And this is a similar issue that I have. I also, cannot hit a driver at all. I can hit hybrid (3H) to around 190-200 yards, and all the iron are alright. But I cannot hit a driver.

The ball goes up in the air (like a lob) and if it does not it slices off rather bad and i cannot get more than 120 yards distance on it. I have no confidence on woods (Driver or 3W).

Note: This thread is 5575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!