IGNORED

Courses in North Carolina

Note: This thread is 6603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's 41ish supurb courses in and around Pinehurst and you picked Mid Pines ....?

Please tell me you are not lumping The Carolina or National in with any list of "superb" courses. The Carolina is boring and National is ruined because you practically play through a housing development.

This thread may turn into a list of "best courses in the Pinehurst area" so I'm going to plop down my ranking of courses I've played in the area. 1. Pinehurst #4 2. Pine Needles 3. Pinehurst #2 4. Country Club North Carolina - Dogwood 5. Pinehurst #8 6. Mid Pines 7. Tobacco Road 8. Mid South 9. National 10. Talamore 11. Pinehurst #6 12. The Pit 13. Carolina
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Please tell me you are not lumping The Carolina or National in with any list of "superb" courses. The Carolina is boring and National is ruined because you practically play through a housing development.

.... Unfortunately we can't do much about house building, that's the flea's that come with the dog, that's why those folks spend that extra $150,000+ so they can replace their windows twice a year ..l.o.l...

If I had my way, they wouldn't be able to build inside of 500 yards of any golf course .. but the builders are making lot's of $$ on these deals from Boston to Boca, it's market driven. That said .. Talamore is a wonderful course, but the homes are so close you can hear them flush a toilet - but a Great course to play and enjoy.
1. Pinehurst #4

- Can't say, haven't played it .. but if it's anything like Pinehurst #2 and #6, then I'll keep my $175 in my pocket .. there's better courses to play there.

2. Pine Needles

- Very good course, much better than Mid Pines, maybe in my top 20.

3. Pinehurst #2

- Clean to the bone, greens are slick and lot's of history .. probably my biggest disappointment .. I spent my $175, and now I can say I was there .. but hey, not everyone spends $95 for Cutter & Buck golf shirt either.

4. Country Club North Carolina - Dogwood

- Another nice course, I could see it in my top 10.

5. Pinehurst #8

- Can't say, haven't played it .. but if it's anything like Pinehurst #2 and #6, then I'll keep my $175 in my pocket .. there's better courses to play there. (hmm, is there an echo in here.?)

6. Mid Pines

- Could be a nice course if they didn't have 100 parking spaces with handicap stickers hanging from the car mirrors and the minium age wasn't 65 ... it's a mind boggling course,

"if" you play once a month.
7. Tobacco Road

- The "Road" is the Road ... most can't handle it because you'll use clubs and play postions that you've never seen before ..... one of the editors from Golf Digest said it best: "it's like Pinehurst #2 -- on STEROIDS.!."

8. Mid South

- One of the best courses there is .. certainly on my top 10.

9. National

- Another great one .. I agree, top 10.

10. Talamore

- Again, another "superb" course ... they just wouldn't give me a Llama as a caddy ....

11. Pinehurst #6

- Save your money, do the wonderful brunch at Pinehurst and then play the Legacy.

12. The Pit

- I hope you have 14 clubs in your bag .. great course and you'll need all of 'em, not for the timid.

13. Carolina

- Best kept secret by our boy Arnie .. I dunno know about the number 13, more in the top 10 crowd ...

Hey, let's not forget Little River, another "best kept secret" and a joy to play. .. and another great course - Tot Hill .! .. if you have no accuracy, then stay at home .. this Mike Strantz design leave most folks looking for their 10th ball on the 9th hole, this is really a nice course.! ..... if you're a long ball hitter and no short game, then you got some problems .l.o.l..
Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

Re: Pinehurst #4... it's not anything like #2 or #6, thankfully - and I think that's why I like it so much.

On the first hole, you get a turtle-backed green, but after that, it's a normal course all the way through, and much more scenic (there's some cool par 3's along the lake) than any of its other brethren. I highly recommend it.

Re: Pinehurst #8.... it's not like #2 or #6 either, its more like #4, but to me it was more of just an everyday course than some of the others.

Re: Mid South, I think I would have liked it more had it been a nice day when I played it. I played it last year when I was down for the Open and we were out there on a 94 degree day, they had no water on the course, there was no cart girl in sight for the majority of the round, they mislabeled the tee boxes, and they overbooked the "shotgun" so it turned into about a 5.5 hour round. Thinking back on it now, I actually did enjoy the layout of the course, just wish the operations had been more "together."
In My Bag:
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Mid South, I think I would have liked it more had it been a nice day when I played it. I played it last year when I was down for the Open and we were out there on a 94 degree day, they had no water on the course, there was no cart girl in sight for the majority of the round, they mislabeled the tee boxes, and they overbooked the "shotgun" so it turned into about a 5.5 hour round. Thinking back on it now, I actually did enjoy the layout of the course, just wish the operations had been more "together."

I can understand that .... ... When I was there last month looking for a house, I spoke with a ton of folks that live there and they hate when the Open is there ..l.o.l... .. traffic gets backed-up as far north as Asheboro and the "circle" turns into a train wreck, it's only a 15,000 population that turns into 75,000 ... alot of the residents rent their homes out and take the 2/3 weeks off and go the mountains ... it really is a small town ...
Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.

• 3 weeks later...
I wish I could have played most of those on your list, but I've only been to Pine Needles, Talamore and Tobacco Road. Needles is easily the best of the three.

The best course I've played in NC outside of the Pinehurst area is Old North State. It's a private course on the Uwharrie Point. Absolutely gorgeous and in great shape. I still like Needles a bit more, but ONS is a great golf course.

I only live 5 minutes from Tanglewood (Winston-Salem) and the Championship course there is a great track to play. From the tips you need just about every club in your bag (7000+ par 70) and in the past few years they have really gotten it into great shape. I play it so much I don't know where I'd put it on my list...Erik might be a better judge since he's played it and a some of the others on the list.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I play it so much I don't know where I'd put it on my list...Erik might be a better judge since he's played it and a some of the others on the list.

I'd put it just below Pine Needles. Both are surprisingly playable from the proper tees. There's a little more emphasis on short game at Pine Needles, a little more emphasis on driving at Tanglewood.

But my input doesn't count for much to many... who vehemently disagree with me on Tobacco Road.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

But my input doesn't count for much to many... who vehemently disagree with me on Tobacco Road.

Aww, sounds like someone needs a hug! I disagree with you on The Road b/c it's fun, but I also value your input... so there ya go.

I've done my feel-good thing for the day now!
In My Bag:

I've played both Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm and have differing opinions on both. Tobacco Road is a bit more sedated in comparison to Tot Hill. I can't say I hated Tobacco Road, but I can say that I would not want to make it my home course. It's just too wierd for me.

Tot Hill, to me, was borderline crazy. Strantz must have been smoking his biggest doobie when desigining that one. I was amused at Tobacco Road and shocked at Tot Hill.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I wish I could have played most of those on your list, but I've only been to Pine Needles, Talamore and Tobacco Road. Needles is easily the best of the three.

... The Greensboro/Winston-Salem area seems to have a lot of super nice courses ... that's probably the reason why that area went on my house hunting list ..l.o.l...

I was there in April and we played Tanglewood, Salem Glen and another nice public course named Bryan Park .... I have to give the city fathers (or whomever) credit for the upkeep and development of that area - nice course.! ... it's similiar to the Walker course we played last week in Clemson South Carolina, another great course .. http://www.clemson.edu/madren/toc/walker/index.htm I'm a little surprised Tot Hill shocked you and the Road amusing ... most find it the other way around ..l.o.l...
Whats in the bag.?

and another nice public course named Bryan Park

Forgot about Bryan Park. The Champions course out there is probably the best bang for the buck in the Triad area. The problem is that I'm in the southwest Triad and it is in the northeast. It takes me an hour to get over there. If I lived closer, I'd play there much more often.

I'm happy with Tanglewood though...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

.... Champions course .. Isn't that what we're talking about ...?

Whats in the bag.?

.... Champions course .. Isn't that what we're talking about ...?

Yeah...there is a Player's course out there as well that isn't quite as nice, but is still pretty good.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Forgot about Bryan Park. The Champions course out there is probably the best bang for the buck in the Triad area.

Isn't that where they had the ACC Women's Championship this year? I have future family that lives in Greensboro so I'm trying to figure out the best places to play around there. So far, I've only played Greensboro Country Club, which I like because the greens are amazingly smooth and fast, but I'd like to branch out a bit.

Any thoughts on Grandover Resort?
In My Bag:

Isn't that where they had the ACC Women's Championship this year?

They had it at Salem Glen (about 10 minutes from my house) in 2003 but last year it was at Pinehurst #8.

I have future family that lives in Greensboro so I'm trying to figure out the best places to play around there.

The East course is a good track. The West isn't bad either, but it never seems to be in great shape. In my opinion, it is a bit overpriced. If you are in the Greensboro area, I would try and get out to Greensboro National. It is a bit north of the city, but a great course for the $. If you make your way over to Winston-Salem, which isn't that far away...try Tanglewood, Salem Glen or Oak Valley. All are very good courses. Just drop me an email or post back if you need any more info or directions.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite courses that I have played in the Pinehurst area....

1. Pinehurst #2
2. Pinehurst #8
3. CC of NC (Dogwood)
4. Pine Needles
5. Pinehurst #6
6. Tobacco Road
7. Pinehurst #4
8. Pinehurst #5
9. Mid Pines

Im not sure if I listed all the courses I have played or not, those are the only ones I can remember.

(I have heard numerous people say that National is awesome, so I am not sure about y'alls complaints

My favorite courses that I have played in the Pinehurst area....

... The National is a GREAT course, as is Mid South and the Legacy ...

I'm glad you liked the "Road" .. most real players do.!
Whats in the bag.?

... The National is a GREAT course, as is Mid South and the Legacy ...

I live in NC, and I actually have a tournament at the resort this week (North South Junior)

(I have heard numerous people say that National is awesome, so I am not sure about y'alls complaints

It's a decent layout, just too many houses for my tastes. I thought the back 9 was significantly better than the front.

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 6603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!