IGNORED

Courses in North Carolina

Note: This thread is 6603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in NC, and I actually have a tournament at the resort this week (North South Junior)

... I'll be down there Thursday and Friday, then Saturday thru Tuesday we'll be in the SC area ...

Do you know what courses you'll be playing.?
Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

It's a decent layout, just too many houses for my tastes. I thought the back 9 was significantly better than the front.

I think houses on a golf course is something we're going to have to live with for a while now.

I played the National earlier this year and really liked it. I thought it was a pretty good layout (aside from a couple holes) and the course was in excellent shape. The greens were really nice. I thought it was one of the better courses down there. Much better than Tobacco Road.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought it was a pretty good layout (aside from a couple holes) and the course was in excellent shape. The greens were really nice. I thought it was one of the better courses down there.

I imagine I'd play it again, but you're right, some of the holes were not that good. I was not a big fan of the (I think it was) the 3rd hole that had a bunch of different tiers in the green a la Tobacco Road. It just didn't fit with the course.

Of course when its all said and done, if I'm headed to Pinehurst for anything other than a US Open, I'd much prefer to spend my time at the resort. Something about that place just seems so perfect to me. By far, the best golfing vacation I've been on yet (Scotland next year will give it a run for its money though I'm sure).
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

• 3 weeks later...
I live at Salem Glen, but I've only played Tanglewood once (when I was very young), and I play most of my summer golf down at the Reserve near Myrtle Beach. Salem Glen is a quite intriguing course, but sometimes the greens are not great (now they are burned out from the heat). My best golf experience was at Casa de Campo (in the Dominican), where the Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore are just incredible golf courses that just must be seen to be believed. I actually saw Pete Dye, who was at his house overlooking the 7th hole at the Teeth of the Dog, and he signed our scorecard. It was quite an experience.

but sometimes the greens are not great (now they are burned out from the heat).

Huh. I'm surprised to say the least. I've always liked the greens out there. Every once in a while they are a bit incosistent, but the one thing I always liked about the course was the greens. Smooth and sometimes quick.

How burnt out are they? Again, I'm surprised because, again, I thought they usually they keep the greens in shape out there. We haven't had much rain in the past couple weeks here which has firmed the ground up. Curious...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am playing Pinehurst #4 tomorrow.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

I am playing Pinehurst #4 tomorrow.

Jerk.

Be sure to let us know what you think. I'm a huge Pinehurst fan and had the most fun on #4 when I was there.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

I probably exaggerated a little bit with the greens. They usually do roll pretty well and a few spots on like hole #12 (near where I live) and 2 and 16 have some burnt spots that are being covered with sand. The greens are rolling well right now with the exception of a few spots on those greens. They can get quick sometimes, and I did forget a little bit that bentgrass greens can be hard to control (so they can't be cut as short, thus slowing the greens down a little bit obviously) during the summer because they burn out so easily.

All the courses in our area have bent and they all fight it hard during the summer months. I have been told that anything over 85 degrees and they are in stress. From the center of Arkansas south, we are just on the border for bent or bermuda. Only a few courses south of the midpoint can keep up the bent greens.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Jerk.

Well it sure was a blast to go to pinehurst, but I was a bit disapointed at the greens. There are public tracks here in charlotte that are in better shape. If I wasn't expensing the trip I'd be real pissed at spending all that money for greens like that.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

Note: This thread is 6603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!