IGNORED

TaylorMade TP Balls

Note: This thread is 6527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello fellow golfers. I was wondering if any of you had a chance to work with the new TaylorMade TP balls at all. I heard some good things about them but I was wondering if anyone could compare them to the Nike Platinum, HX Tour, or Pro V's, or other balls in that class. It's kind of exciting to see TaylorMade balls again after they seemed to disappear off the face of the world for a few years.

In the bag
907 D2 8.5 Matrix Ozik shaft
904F 13 UST Proforce shaft
585-H UST Proforce
4-PW 690.MB Vokey Oil Can 52 56 and 60 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 Pro VIHome Course- Somerby Golf Club site of the Nationwide Tour Scholorship Fund Tournamenthttp://www.somerby.com

There is a thread somewhere on here with tons of reviews. I haven't weighed in yet on the black, but played them this weekend. It felt like I was hitting a brick. I didn't think there was much, if any, feel around the greens either. I have a very high swing speed, and disliked the ball immensely. Just my two cents.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I also agree with the previous post... I think Taylormade is just trying to squeeze some more profits out of their fan base. With the sucess of the ProV series, Nike's suprising developments, and the HX series there is little room in the premium 3 piece market for a new competitor. I tried a sleeve out of curiosity but it will be the last time I use a Taylormade ball..

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• Administrator
There is a thread somewhere on here with tons of reviews. I haven't weighed in yet on the black, but played them this weekend. It felt like I was hitting a brick. I didn't think there was much, if any, feel around the greens either. I have a very high swing speed, and disliked the ball immensely. Just my two cents.

They have as much or more spin as the ball you're playing now greenside and are actually LOWER compression overall than the ball you're playing now.

And here's our full review , if you care to read it. To each his own, but "it felt like a brick and I disliked the ball" puts you in the minority opinion to be sure. It's as good as any other $40/doz ball out there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They have as much or more spin as the ball you're playing now greenside and are actually LOWER compression overall than the ball you're playing now.

I read your glowing review, which prompted me to buy the balls, and give them an 18 hole workout. Apparently, I don't like a ball as hard as you like to play with.. I did not have spin control issues with the ball, just feel issues. Maybe I've just obtained a certain feel to expect with the 1x. By your review- it is a harder ball than the 1x, right?

I am particular about the ball I play with, and when it's not windy, play the Pro V, as I like the feel of a softer ball. Just my opinion, which happens to be different from yours, "It's as good as any other $40/doz ball out there." I disagree.
In The Bag
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I played the TP Black last weekend and I loved the ball. Typically I play the Pro-V1 and I will say that this ball is harder than that but not over the top hard in my opinon. It was long, I was easily the longest of my foursome with the TP and usually it's about even with the 3 guys I played with. It was nice being consistently longer than all 3 that round. I'll play them again, still not 100% sure I'm ready to concede my Pro V1 to the TP Black though. I also noticed quite a little more backspin off full shots with the TP, the V1 usually lands, hops once and bites, the TP was consistently backing up 10 ft or so.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

• Administrator
I read your glowing review, which prompted me to buy the balls, and give them an 18 hole workout. Apparently, I don't like a ball as hard as you like to play with.

The Pro V1x makes a softer sound, so you're saying you like a ball that

sounds as if it's softer. I said (in the review):
Off the putter, the TP Red and Black offer a firm "click" that sounds a bit harder than both Pro V1 models. A significant portion of "feel" is actually auditory, and this points to the Pro V1 and Pro V1x "feeling" softer off the putter than their respective TP cousins.

I was very careful about what I said. Sound... I also play the Pro V1x (look at my sig).

.. I did not have spin control issues with the ball, just feel issues. Maybe I've just obtained a certain feel to expect with the 1x. By your review- it is a harder ball than the 1x, right?

Auditory. Plug your ears and I'm not certain you'd know if you were hitting a Pro V1 or a Top Flite. And it's not just you - it's something like 95% of golfers. "Feel" is 90% auditory, or something like that.

It just seems as though you dismissed the balls without much of an honest chance, is all. I'm sure you'll say you didn't, and that's fine. I'm merely expressing my opinion, is all.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
I played the TP Black last weekend and I loved the ball. Typically I play the Pro-V1 and I will say that this ball is harder than that but not over the top hard in my opinon. It was long, I was easily the longest of my foursome with the TP and usually it's about even with the 3 guys I played with. It was nice being consistently longer than all 3 that round. I'll play them again, still not 100% sure I'm ready to concede my Pro V1 to the TP Black though. I also noticed quite a little more backspin off full shots with the TP, the V1 usually lands, hops once and bites, the TP was consistently backing up 10 ft or so.

That's all abnormal. Pro V1 => TP Red, Pro V1x => TP Black.

The Black is the lower spinning version of the balls. The Red is the spinnier one... So something else must have been going on with you that day. Softer greens or something?

Hey everyone. Thanks for your inputs. Sorry, I'm kind of new and didn't realize there already was a review, but it was good to hear some opinions from some members here. I guess I'll just test drive a few and see how they work, there isn't any harm in doing that now is there...Thanks again to all that replied

In the bag
907 D2 8.5 Matrix Ozik shaft
904F 13 UST Proforce shaft
585-H UST Proforce
4-PW 690.MB Vokey Oil Can 52 56 and 60 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 Pro VIHome Course- Somerby Golf Club site of the Nationwide Tour Scholorship Fund Tournamenthttp://www.somerby.com

Anytime I see a taylormade logo painted across a golf ball, one thing comes to mind - innergel. :)

They're okay, but no better than any of the other balls out there. They're not going to revolutionize the game, and they're late to the party. For that reason, I'm not going to let them in.

It just seems as though you dismissed the balls without much of an honest chance, is all. I'm sure you'll say you didn't, and that's fine. I'm merely expressing my opinion, is all.

Is 18 holes not much of an honest chance? If not, you are right. I'm pretty sure the first time I played the ProV, and 1x, I knew on those rounds I had found my ball.

I guess what I trying to say, simply put, is that for me to switch from the Titleist, I would have needed to have been extremely impressed with the ball, and I was not in an 18 hole audition. That is really interesting about the auditory nature of "feel." I'm gonna try that on a putting green this weekend- I'll report back.
In The Bag
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW

• Administrator
That is really interesting about the auditory nature of "feel." I'm gonna try that on a putting green this weekend- I'll report back.

It was in Golf Magazine or Golf Digest six or eight (or so?) months ago.

Oh duh, first hit in Google for "feel sound golf" is this: http://www.golfdigest.com/feelissound/

Every time I try a new ball it's usually the same thing...there is one particular aspect that I like whether it's driver distance, a crisp feeling off of a wedge etc...but I always go back to the pro V1x because of three reasons. The dynamics of short wedge shots (distance and feel), predictable spin, (pitching from 10 yards or closer to the green), and most importantly how the ball reacts and rolls off the putter. So here we go again...the taylormade black. I expected to not like it, and I was pleasently surprised. The sound is more "rock like" but the result was excellent. More importantly putting with this ball was really good. I never thought that would be the strong suit of this ball, but I fell in love with it. I putt on bermuda greens, haven't used the ball on bent yet but I really like this ball over all...I give it an A +

I played the red this wekend and thought it was pretty good off the driver. I really liked the feel around the greens and the mid irons were solid. The one thing I did not like is one shot from 100 yds out I hit a perfect Sandwedge and nearly all the red "1" ended up on the club. Needless to say that ball was retired.

Good play but I only bought a sleeve and normally don't buy $40 dozen balls so I will probably not see them again this year.
IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

Note: This thread is 6527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!