IGNORED

Can you half step Project X's????

Note: This thread is 6440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have hit been demoing the Project X shafts in a few clubs. I love them and want to make the switch. The issue is I have discovered I need the Hi-Launch versions. They give me a better trajectory in the long irons without ballooning the short irons. The problem arises that they only come in 5.0 and 6.0. The 6.0s are a bit too stiff and the 5.0s a bit too soft. I have been fitted to a 5.5 in the regular Project Xs. Can I get Project X 6.0s and half step them down? 3 iron in the 4 iron on down etc. I have been told by one club maker I could not do this but I do not see why not. Anyone tried this? Thanks.

that's actually a pretty good question... I actually have no idea if you can step down, why didn't you try the regular PX's... I have a naturally low ball but I stuck with the originals...

by the way, I agree the 6.0 is a bit stiff... I have the 6.0's now and I really have to have a good solid swing... my mph iron is around 87... so thats what I was fitted into

I thought anything low was a little soft but the 6 felt a little stiff, if I were on tour I could rock PX's with a 5.8flex... only if that were a reality

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

is the project x a steel or graphite shaft b/c when you look at it it looks like a graphite shaft
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

its steel... but yeah I know what you mean... ist b/c we are so used to the chrome look used by True Temper, the PX's are more of a stainless steel "dull" look

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• Administrator
its steel... but yeah I know what you mean... ist b/c we are so used to the chrome look used by True Temper, the PX's are more of a stainless steel "dull" look

plus they lack the steps, which make them look like graphite shafts, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I can answer my own question now. After talking to Precision today (aka True Temper), Dan told me they can indeed be half stepped. He stated the Project X 6.0s half stepped down would reduce them by 3.5 cycles. That means that they will be about 5.65s. I have gone ahead and put them in my clubs this way. I do not carry a 3 iron so I will be able to leave that one off. I will have to order the 2 iron shaft for it later. Anyway DDBowdoin, the 5.8 may not be that far off if you half step them. I will let you know how they feel.

the rifles have no steps as well...love em.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

• 2 months later...
I'm confused here..is half-stepping going from a 6.0 to 5.5 OR are we talking about actual stepped shaft vs a smooth.

I have regular FCM Rifle 6.0..I'd say they play slightly stiff..but someone said the Projext X in the same is stiffer?

I'm confused here..is half-stepping going from a 6.0 to 5.5 OR are we talking about actual stepped shaft vs a smooth.

What he means (I think) by half stepping is putting the 3 iron shaft in th 4 iron head, the 4 iron shaft in the 5 iron head, etc.... This causes you to split the "steps" in levels of stiffness taking the 6.0 to 5.65.

I hope I'm right about this as it makes sense to me. My concern would be the shaft length being with the wrong club head, but I guess fitters would adjust this as necesary.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

What he means (I think) by half stepping is putting the 3 iron shaft in th 4 iron head, the 4 iron shaft in the 5 iron head, etc.... This causes you to split the "steps" in levels of stiffness taking the 6.0 to 5.65.

wow..learned somthing new..crazy.

All taper tipped shafts can be done. By the way, the terminology used to do this is soft stepping a shaft. Soft stepping a shaft once reduces the flex by 1/3 and soft stepping twice reduces it by 2/3 of a flex. That's what they mean by soft stiff or regular plus. If you hard step a shaft it is totally opposite of soft stepping meaning you put the pw shaft in the 9 iron, 9 in the 8 and so forth. Hope this helps anyone not familiar with this technique. Good luck on the PX shafts and hope they work out for you.

Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

Note: This thread is 6440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!