IGNORED

Nervous?

fpuagolf
Note: This thread is 5399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am playing in the Florida Boys' Junior on Tuesday, Wednesday, and hopefully Thursday if I make the cut.

IDK why I am nervous.

When your nervous, what do you think???

[Especially my first tee shot (10th hole, tight fairway, water left, island green!)]

My Sticks:

909D3 8.5 Driver, Proforce V2 X Flex
909F3 13.5 FW
909H 17 Degree Hybrid AP2 (4-PW) 56 + 60 degree Newport 2

Being a little nervous is normal. It means you care about performing your best. I don't know if you are able to play a practice round tomorrow on the course, but if you can, do so, to get familiar with the course. If no practice round is available, practice with your coach or by your self.

Tomorrow night, eat a healthy dinner and take rest knowing that you have prepared. I liked to watch a movie the night before a big competition to take my mind off things. Get a good night's sleep. Eat a healthy breakfast. Stay hydrated.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

On the tee, think about your immediate target (middle of the fairway). Trust your swing and take dead aim.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Everyone gets nervous it only normal. It how you handle your nervousness. A pre-shot routine will help to make you comfortable.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Assuming you can afford to, hit an iron off the tee. Or a hybrid, or whatever you're most comfortable hitting that will still leave you a reasonable shot at the green. This will accomplish two things: it will make the first shot easier to hit and less likely to find trouble, and a solidly struck starting shot with a comfortable club will do well to eliminate your nerves and give you the confidence you need for the approach.

PS: Its at Bear Lakes CC, right? Just looked at the hole--looks like a layup short of the right trap off the tee would leave you about a 7-iron in (assuming from the handicap that you're distance is solid).

HiBore XLS 9.5*
Launcher 15*
Rescue 21*
X-20 Tour 4-PW
CG10 50*, CG12 56*, 60*Pixl L1.8 (8 years and running)

I think of a joke from a Leslie Nielsen movie:

"Nervous?"
"A little."
"First time?"
"No, I've been nervous many times."

Also, if there's a shot that I know I have to face that will make me nervous, I pre-plan what I'm going to do (club, shape, etc) and I visualize myself playing the hole. I don't mean immediately beforehand (although that may happen), but maybe the night before or morning of. The more vivid you can make your visualization, the better. Smell the grass, feel the air, etc. And, of course, make your shot (in your mind) go the way you want it to go. Then, when you get to that tee box, you get a feeling of deja vu; you've already hit the shot successfully in your mind, now you just have to do it again.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, you're quite a good player, judging by your handicap so you should be fine. Like everyone said, it's normal to be nervous. I've played in a bunch of tournaments now as a Junior and I still get pretty nervous...you just have to try to focus ONE shot at a time (very tough to do for some, especially me...I always get caught up in score) and also to not think about your golf swing too much...don't overanalyze your swing while you're out there...keep it to minimum thoughts in that aspect.

Otherwise, you should be fine...I mean you've obviously played a lot of golf if your a + handicap, so just go out and play your game.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I find taking a deep breath before shots helps calm me down!
Dont think about the tournament or the people around you forget they're there and just go through your pre shot routine!

TITLEIST 909 D2 10.5* VOODOO STIFF FLEX
TAYLORMADE R9 TP 3 WOOD STIFF FLEX
COBRA BAFFLER PRO 19* STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST 695MB 3-PW STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST VOKEY BLACK NICKEL 52*TITLEIST VOKEY SPIN MILLED 56.10 & 60.04SCOTTY CAMERON 2.6 NEWPORT PUTTERCALLAWAY TOUR IX GOLF BALLTAYLORMADE R7 TP TOUR BAGC...

my dad is a big fan of hitting an iron off that first tee. I'm starting to think the best think you can do is just get up there and rip that first drive as quick as you can (within reason). The more you stand there, the more tight you get.

What's in my bag:

- Cleveland HiBore XL 10.5 degree
- Knockoff 3 and 5 woods
- TaylorMade Burner Oversize Irons, 3-PW- Dynacraft SW- Cleveland 60 deg wedge (perhaps not for long, though)- Odyssey 550 Putter

I've been in your shoes in the past - my advice to you would be to not hit an iron off the first tee, especially if there's any sort of distance requirement, simply because a wood gives you much greater margin for error. Notice I said wood, not driver. Hitting driver off a first tee when you're shaky is a recipe for disaster (see: Ricky Barnes at the US Open). I would go with an easy 3-wood - if you miss, chances are you're still in play, and you're looking at bogey at worst.

As for being nervous during practice, the best thing to do is forget about everyone around you. If you have an mp3 player or inno, use it. Even though the tournament may have a rule banning these during play, they're fair game during practice. If all else fails, think about hooking up with one of the good-looking cart girls, that should ease the pressure :).

Note: This thread is 5399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!