IGNORED

White or Blue Tees?

Maverick
Note: This thread is 6505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My current index is 15.1..should I play from the white tees or blue tees. I have broken 90 from the blue tees a few times but generally my scores have been in between 91-93 for the course from the blues.

At what point do I play the white or blues? Honestly there's not much of a difference at my course from these two tees..maybe around 10 yards inbetween..but there are a couple holes where you can see a big difference..about 20 yards (a par 3 and par 4 respectively.).

So stick with the whites or blues?

I'd say it's all about level of comfort. I like to play different tee boxes to change up the course and shots that I have to hit because I play my home course about 90% of the time but it's personal preference and sometimes dictated by your playing partners. For example, I play with some guys who are a bit higher handicaps and a bit older than I and they generally like to play from the whites. I'm fine with that...we're out to have a good time and it can be no fun for a guy to be struggling with long irons and woods all day because of the tees selected.
ITB
Ping Si3 10* Grafalloy Blue
Mizuno F-60 13.5* Exsar FS3
Mizuno CLK FLI-HI 17* Exsar HS2
Mizuno MP-67 4-PW DG S300Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58Bobby Jones 64Titleist Cameron Stainless Newport 2Titleist ProV1x

If you shoot roughly the same score from either set of tees, and you can keep up the pace of play without any problem, then I say play where you want.

The biggest reason to have the different sets of tees is to make the game challenging yet fun for golfers of different skill levels. The problem comes in when you have players who spray the ball all over the place from the blue tees and slow up players behind them, when they might play faster (due to easier shots and less hazards in play) if they moved up to the whites.

On our course, my dad usually plays the Blues with me, even though he's a 16.6 index. However, he hits it far enough that the longer tees aren't a problem for him. He loses all his shots on missed greens, bunkers, and putting... but he chunks his 8-iron just as often as he chunks a 5-iron, so its really not that different for him. Regardless, he'd still shoot a 95 every time out.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

I think since it doesnt make a difference at your course then I would play the blues somedays and the whites otherdays. Its when you go to a course where the blues are 7,200 yards and the whites are 6,500 yards then it may become an issue. Like someone said earlier, its no fun trying to kill the driver and then kill a 4 iron on every hole...Play to your comfort level, just when you play a course where the difference becomes an issue then play within your level of play.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Personally I like to play the yardage. I look at the card and for a par 72 I am comfortable around 6,200-6,400, whatever that is is what my group plays. Different courses set up differently but I know what I am basically getting into with the club selection. Driver-8i par 4's, 5i thru 7i par 3's and possibly getting around the green on the par 5's.

I have found playing from the whites typically can put my drive into hazards on most courses but from the blues it either carries or is short.
IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

Oddly enough on my home course I usually score better from the Blues. I can reach the trouble from the whites but not the blues. The gold tees are unplayable for me, I can't even reach 2 of the par fours in 2, they both play between 440 and 460. A good driver and 3 wood for me is 450.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Administrator
My current index is 15.1..should I play from the white tees or blue tees. I have broken 90 from the blue tees a few times but generally my scores have been in between 91-93 for the course from the blues.

If that's your index, you should be able to figure out different handicaps for both tees. Both should have their own set of course and slope ratings, and when you post, if you take care to specify which tee you played from, you should be okay.

My course has two tees: 6500 and 6750 that play basically the same. 250/18 is about 13 yards per hole, if you think about it, so say one club more. But the course rating is 71.2 and 72.4 (I think) and the slope goes from 135 to 139 or so. So some players would shoot roughly the same score, yet have a lower handicap from the longer tees as opposed to the shorter ones... so take that into consideration.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!