IGNORED

Should you be allowed to use a GPS during a tournament?

CG031
Note: This thread is 5410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Golf GPS be able to be used during tournaments?

• Yes, for sure, nothing says no one can't get one.
    • No, some can't afford and it's not fair to those who don't own one.
    • Indifference - guess or get one from your GPS.

That doesn't mean Pro V1's are the best for every body. For instance, I cannot play a Pro V to it's full potential because I do not swing fast enough. My father can. So my Bridgestone e7+ performs, for me, the same as a Pro V perfroms for someone like my father.

You weren't talking about what's best, you were talking about what people can afford. I simply rebutted your comment. Some players who DO have the clubhead speed for a premium ball still don't play it because they can't afford to. Should we ban them from tournaments for that reason?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they should be allowed. I can't afford a new 400 dollar driver but that doesn't make it unfair. A decent rangefinder on ebay isn't that much. I can't afford to have custom clubs so should everyone not allowed to be fitted?

Any tourney that is worth anything will have pin sheets. You can get good distances the old fashion way.

Brian

You weren't talking about what's best, you were talking about what people can afford. I simply rebutted your comment. Some players who DO have the clubhead speed for a premium ball still don't play it because they can't afford to. Should we ban them from tournaments for that reason?

My argument is on the basis of GPS being unfair due to price, not just price, as you seem to think. One person using a Pro V does not automatically have an advantage over another who is not using a Pro V, as one person who is using a yardage device does have an automatic, unfair advantage over a person who is not using one.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

My argument is on the basis of GPS being

Then buy one. I have an old one from 3 years ago and it only gets flags to 125. But that is all I need.

And yes, a primium ball is huge advantage for the skilled player. I would say more of one than a range finder. And how much was that putter?

Brian

No, cuz its moronic and a waste of time and money. Much faster to just guess then spend 5 minutes fumbling around with your expensive insecurity blanket. And you'll feel worse when you hit a bad shot when you have it.

Wow, this may be the most irrelevant, judgmental, and off base counterarguments ever expressed. With one sentence you've managed to insult (without any basis for your position) the user's intelligence, financial abilities, time management, and psychological state. Amazing.......

Wow, this isn't even a debate. The people on the "no GPS" side aren't even making arguements...just babble.

The $400 dollar driver is fair, but the $150 GPS is not; I can't afford a GPS, but I can afford to enter the tournament; GPS gives an unfair advantage because it gives you correct yardage, but it's ok to get correct yardage by walking the course with a range finder, having a yardage book, etc., etc.

The list goes on forever and everyone of the arguements against the use of GPS has been plain dumb. I'm not saying don't debate the issue...but come up with something at least half-solid.
The closest thing I've heard to a good arguement is the fact that the PGA Tour does not use them during their rounds. This was countered with the fact that they are given the opportunity to scout the course ahead of time and have professional caddies to do most of the work for them. But still, at least a valid point...unlike all the bitching about the cost of a GPS.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

Then buy one. I have an old one from 3 years ago and it only gets flags to 125. But that is all I need.

I do have, and use one. The original Sky Caddie from when they were first released. But never in tournament play, or when I'm preparing for a tournament.

What good is a Pro V if you spin it off the front of the green? Or throw it 5 yards behind it? What good is a Scotty if you're too far away from the green to use it? I believe a range finder is a larger advantage than what ball you're playing. My putter? I got it as a gift.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I voted no, simply because if your in a tourny you should be good enough to judge distances, I have no problem stick greens with out one. If you want to take notes prior with a gps and keep them in a book great fine by me.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I do have, and use one. The original Sky Caddie from when they were first released. But never in tournament play, or when I'm preparing for a tournament.

Great gift. So if a tourney allows a GPS/rangefinder you wouldn't use it? I disagree about which is a bigger advantage but I agree to disagree. My range finder doesn't help with the shot at hand as much as the feedback of what exactly a 53 yard shot feels like. I bought it before it was legal to practice wedge shots for that reason.

I don't understand why we shouldn't (we as in everyday golfers) have the same info as the pros. We can't pay someone to map a course and know where every sprinkler is and so on. So in order to speed up play I think it would be insane to not allow range finders. I played in my club championship 3 weeks ago which did allow them and it was still over a 5 hour round. I guess the people in it aren't used to playing to the rules of golf. It was so slow.

Brian

Clubs are necessary tools in playing golf. A rangefinder/GPS is a useful accessory, but in no way necessary. You can't play golf without your clubs, but you can play without a GPS.

Ah but can't you just play with a 7i? You really only need one club to play. Aren't then the rest just accessories? Rules of golf allow you to carry 14 clubs. Rules also allow you to use a range finder.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Great gift. So if a tourney allows a GPS/rangefinder you wouldn't use it? I disagree about which is a bigger advantage but I agree to disagree. My range finder doesn't help with the shot at hand as much as the feedback of what exactly a 53 yard shot feels like. I bought it before it was legal to practice wedge shots for that reason.

No, I would not use it unless everyone else had one.

Every tour pro has a caddie, and they all have down to the foot yardage books. Not every "everyday player" has a down to the yard rangefinder which is why I find them unfair for tournament play. We all should have dead accurate numbers, but we don't. It's always going to be that way.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°

Ah but can't you just play with a 7i?

I lol'd. Only using one club. Imagine someone teeing off with their putter!

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I lol'd. Only using one club. Imagine someone teeing off with their putter!

Some long drive champion did it on Highway 18 and hit 280+...

... must be nice.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Ah but can't you just play with a 7i? You really only need one club to play. Aren't then the rest just accessories? Rules of golf allow you to carry 14 clubs. Rules also allow you to use a range finder.

One club still falls into the category of "Clubs". I do not believe golf balls are accessories.

As of now, the Rules do not allow you to use "artificial devices" or"unusual equipment" That might assist him in a. making stroke or in his play; or b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except: (i) plain gloves may be worn; (ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and (iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip. According to rule 14-3.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°

My argument is on the basis of GPS being

A person using a yardage device has no unfair advantage. The information he obtains from it is available to anyone by whatever method they choose to use. Those other methods are just not as efficient.

One club still falls into the category of "Clubs". I do not believe golf balls are accessories.

This is just plain wrong. You can't just pick the words and statements you want. You have to use the whole rule. See the note at the very end of Rule 14-3.

The definition of "Rule" is:
Rule or Rules The term "Rule" includes: a. The Rules of Golf and their interpretations as contained in "Decisions on the Rules of Golf"; b. Any Conditions of Competition established by the Committee under Rule 33-1 and Appendix I; c. Any Local Rules established by the Committee under Rule 33-8a and Appendix I; and d. The specifications on clubs and the ball in Appendices II and III and their interpretations as contained in "A Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls."

Most clubs have invoked this local rule:

14-3/0.5 Local Rule Permitting Use of Distance-Measuring Device Q. May a Committee, by Local Rule, permit the use of distance-measuring devices? A. Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure or gauge distance only (see the Note to Rule 14-3). However, the use of a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player's play (e.g., gradient, wind speed, temperature, etc.) is not permitted regardless of whether such an additional function is used.

So your above statement was totally false.

As of right now, I have yet to talk to any player I know whose club has not instituted this local rule for all play, tournament or otherwise. You really would put yourself at what you perceive as a disadvantage (I don't see it as a disadvantage, but simply less efficient) by not using such a device even when allowed to do so just because there might be one or 2 other players without them? I find that to be ludicrous... totally nonsensical. Do you think that Gene Sarazen felt that way when he showed up the first time with his new sand wedge? Or back in 1984 the first guy in a club to buy a set of irons with square grooves? Will you immediately switch to the new grooves next January just because you might take advantage of your fellow competitors if you keep playing your Vokey Spin-Milled wedge? You treat it as if you are somehow more principled than those of use who will use them. It isn't a matter of principle, it's a matter of the Rules of Golf, pure and simple.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I said yes. Although cost is a factor for some, including me, the prices should start coming down soon. I hope!!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

A GPS or laser range finder helps give yardages, nothing more. Those same yardages can be obtained by other means.

You can either buy the technology, or learn how to pace off yardage from a sprinklerhead and to read the yardage book and pin placement sheets provided for the tournament. The choice is yours.

BTW......once you have the yardage, you still have to hit the shot.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Good post Fourputt, and I agree completely.

A person using a yardage device has no unfair advantage. The information he obtains from it is available to anyone by whatever method they choose to use. Those other methods are just not as efficient.

I don't understand the arguments from the "no device" camp that feel this is an unfair advantage. A GPS or rangefinder is not a device that is unveiling CIA secrets, the meaning or life, or more important...."Hogan's Swing Secret". It is simply a fast, efficient mechanism for providing information that is already available to every player. Is it more efficient to quickly look at a display, or to walk around identifying yardage points, pacing off distances, and then doing some math? A yardage device provides no additional information to its user, but does so in a way that helps improve pace of play.

This whole thread feels like the Monty Python "Argument" sketch. Those in favor are able to present logical, concise reasons in favor, while those against are pretty much saying "No it isn't" without any real rationale to support their argument.

Note: This thread is 5410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!