IGNORED

Ball above your feet

Note: This thread is 5558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you guys do when the ball is above your knee height. I had it last round where the ball was about chest level. I just put it in the middle of my stance aiming way right playing for a big draw. Ended up shanking the shot so came to wonder how people play this shot. Ball forward/back, club selection, and so on.

« Keith »

Middle of my stance, choke down (depending on how much it is above my feet; can be all the way up to the shaft at times) and then just try to keep my eye focused on the ball...

And one more thing, AIM RIGHT!!!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Honestly, if I had a stance where the ball was THAT HIGH at waist level, I'd poke it into play. Only place I could imagine the ball that high would be near a bunker...get it into play.
If the slope was steep to where it was knee level, I'd choke well the hell down. ball in middle, and use a chop stroke.
More manageable slopes, below knee, choke down appropriately and no more than a 3/4 swing. Any harder and you're likely to miss the ball badly on the face, hit it fat, etc.

G10 9* Proforce V2 HL S
G10 15.5* TFC 129 S
G10 21*, 24* TFC 129 S Hybrids
MP-57 5-PW DG S300
52* MP-R 56*.11, 60*.7 SM Vokey Newport Detour 2.5 Tour Ix, PRO V1x

It was sitting up next to a temp tee box and I took quite a big wack at it since it was a par 5 and I had a lot of open space.

« Keith »

One trick for those shots that I learned from Dave Pelz a couple years ago - the more above you feet the ball is the further down the clubhead you align the ball (toward hosel) I have had the ball at chest height and ended up aligning ball with hosel and hit it perfect. According to what Pelz said this is because of gravity (pulling the clubhead and shaft down during swing). I have followed this rule since I heard that and have been really surprised at how well this works. it's kind of a 'feel' thing to figure out the exact positions but it'll come. Of course, a more flexible shaft means you'll have to align further down than a really stiff shaft. Most of the time if the ball is about knee height I'll align ball just above hosel and make good contact (I play stiff flex shafts).
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Note: This thread is 5558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!