IGNORED

Golf School/Academy

! BuBbA wAtSoN !
Note: This thread is 6488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi im 18 years old and can shoot pretty consistently in the high 70's and i dont have a handicap or anything and play with a cross handed grip due to being a self taught player, I love the game beyond what you people might think. I want to know if anyone thinks i should try going to a golf school/academy and try to get in some regional tournaments or do you think i should be of this level at a younger age to acheive this??? I think im capable of being a scratch player in less than 2 years time. Any replies will be appreciated greatly

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

I think if you're already playing at a level capable of shooting high 70's after 5 years you can surely improve that to get to a scratch golfer and play in some regional tournaments with the help of a teaching pro and some lessons. You will be able to get some tips and pointers on what and how to practice on and you'll improve dramatically in my opinion. It sounds to me like you're certainly motivated to practice and play, it's just a matter of getting pointed in that direction.

I was a solid 12 handicap before my first ever lesson and thought I was doing ok, beating most of my friends with no lessons ever then got my first lesson and cut my handi to a 5 in less then 18 months. They are well worth the money!
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Thanks for the reply, i actually asked the pro at my local driving range if he could help me out but also at the same time, keeping my cross handed grip. so i had one lesson to see how it went and nothing really changed, he gave me a few thoughts but my game hasnt improved in the slightest by the lesson. Im going to keep on playing and trying to improve. the only thing that doesnt help is that im really really long which will reduce my accuracy slightly. Yesterday i played 18 holes in Bolton UK and came up to a par 5 which was 530 yards and i hit driver and 7 iron to the green.

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

So let me get this straight...you play cross hand on ALL shots? Wow that's definitely interesting. I won't knock it because Lord knows my swing isn't a picturesque piece of art by any means!

I suppose there is nothing saying that a conventional grip is a must and you're probably right, most teaching pros are going to try to change that FIRST thing, so on that point you may be better off without a lesson?

I'd just suggest you keep working on your short game and putting, all the while try to get a bit of accuracy as well, perhaps you can cut back on the distance to gain a bit of control? 530 par 5's are supposed to be long holes and taking driver + 7 irons don't always mean you're going to eagle it everytime if it's not straight. So you may have to go driver + 3 iron but if it's a straight driver and 3 iron you'll still have more realistic chances of scoring well consistently.

GOOD LUCK!
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Yep, cross handed for ALL my shots. Im going to get some video footage of my golf swing to show all you people my unique style of play. so once ive got it i will try to put it on the site or just let me know and i will send it via email. Its like camillo villegas says, he feels better when he swings aggressive and thats the same with me, if i try to hold back then my swing loses control. Yesterday i also hit 8 iron onto the green at a par 3, 187 yards with no elevation change and my playing friends were hittong 4 and 5 irons. thats also the thing that puts me off lessons, i know that the first thing they will say is to change my grip and i know im capable dependant upon time of getting to scratch with this grip.

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Wow, congrats of being successful with something out of the norm. A great school in which my buddies have always raved about is the Harvey Penick school usually found at Golfsmith. Thing about schools/lessons is that they are going to try and change the grip to something more traditional. Let us know how you are progressing.

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

Maybe google Chris Couch and see if you can E-Mail him through his web site. Since he hits a lot of shots cross handed he might have a suggestion. There are a couple of other cross handed players, one on the Hogan/ Nike / Nationwide, whatever tour. I believe they both have instructors. The only issue with such a non traditional technique is since you have to work everything out for yourself it might take longer than just changing your grip. I bet you already experimented and didn't like a conventional grip, right? How do you ever hit a high hook? If you hit down enough to get it high how do you release the club enough to hook it?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I have no problems with hitting high draws if i want to play that shot, i just close the clubface slightly and come through more on the inside i have a tendency to hit my irons higher than usual with the force i get through the ball, like a pitching wedge near enough 150 yards on the fly

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Note: This thread is 6488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!