IGNORED

13* 3 wood

Note: This thread is 6523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi fols, long time listener, first time caller. I currently play a Callaway Steelhead III 3 wood that I love but was thinking about getting the 3+. I always feel that I'm just out of reach on the par 5's. I will only go for the green if I have less than 250 and I always seem to have 260-265 to the hole. Is the 13* much harder to hit? Anyone playing a 13* please weigh in. Thanks.

• Administrator
Hi fols, long time listener, first time caller. I currently play a Callaway Steelhead III 3 wood that I love but was thinking about getting the 3+. I always feel that I'm just out of reach on the par 5's. I will only go for the green if I have less than 250 and I always seem to have 260-265 to the hole. Is the 13* much harder to hit? Anyone playing a 13* please weigh in. Thanks.

I think a big advantage you're overlooking in going with the 13 (potentially) is off the tee. If you can hit it 265 off the tee, it will make a great driving club on shorter par 4s and also holes that stress accuracy.

I like my 15-degree 3W, but my "go for it" yardage is closer to 235 than 265. Sounds like a 13 may be a good fit for you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you can hit it 265 off the tee, it will make a great driving club on shorter par 4s and also holes that stress accuracy.

Agreed... if you're hitting it 265, you've got the swing speed to take advantage of the 13. I say "go for it."

In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

scar1900,

The 13* fairway wood is almost dead. They're difficult to elevate off the deck and still stop on the green since they don't spin much and fly low. I don't know what your game is like. However, you'd better be a high spin player who makes excellent contact wiht his fairway woods. If not, you're going to be hunting rabbits and ground hogs with it. Just about all guys on the big tour have dropped them in favor of 15's or 17's that have been cranked open. Vijay Singh is one of the few that still comes to mind who plays a strong 3. If you must, I'd strongly look into a high launch and spin fairway wood like the Cleveland Comp fairways, Callaway Fusion, and Mizuno MX-500's. If you can find one, the Taylor Made 200 Tour smooth top is a legendary 13 that's incredibly easy to elevate, but commands top dollar these days. The upcoming hi-bore fairway releases should be interesting to demo as well. Demo before buying.

• Administrator
The 13* fairway wood is almost dead. They're difficult to elevate off the deck and still stop on the green since they don't spin much and fly low.

gas_can, normally your advice has been close to dead on, but this answer is silly. The 13-degree 3W is selling more now than last year and each of the previous five years... and...

I don't know what your game is like. However, you'd better be a high spin player who makes excellent contact wiht his fairway woods. If not, you're going to be hunting rabbits and ground hogs with it.

He told you he hit the ball 250 with his current 3W. So that should give you some kind of idea...

Just about all guys on the big tour have dropped them in favor of 15's or 17's that have been cranked open. Vijay Singh is one of the few that still comes to mind who plays a strong 3.

Quite a few players still use 13-degree models. Look at the "What's in the Bag?" every week or in Golf Digest, etc. Your definition of "just about all" may mean less than 25%, but I doubt it - about 25% still use strong 3Ws.

Demo before buying.

That applies every time.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i had a 13* 3-wood, i hit it about 255-265yds... so i had a gap from 255-230yds... i got a Mizuno MP001 4 wood (16.5*) and that i hit 245-255yds its perfect for me... i wouldnt recomend that for you based on my expirience but you should try it and find if it does work for you

my yardage averages
driver- 280yds
4 wood- 250yds
hybrid-230yds
3i- 215yds
4i- 205yds
5i- 190yds
6i- 180yds
7i- 170yds
8i- 155yds
9i- 145yds
w- 135yds
54*-125yds
58*-110yds

My Bag

Driver- Titleist 907 D2 (10.5°), Mitsubishi Diamana BlueBoard
4 Wood- Nickent 3DX Pro (14°), Accuflex Icon
Hybrid- Nickent 3DX (17°), True Temper S300Irons (3 to W)- PING I3 Blades, True Temper S30056°- Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, True Temper S30060°- Cleveland 900 Gunmetal, True...

He told you he hit the ball 250 with his current 3W. So that should give you some kind of idea...

iacas,

250 means a lot of different things to differnet people. Is it 230 yards carry with 20 yards roll? A low running hook? A high soft fade? From a fitters point of view, just about all male golfers overestimate their carry yardages with every club in their bag. To me, the main part of his question was, "Is the 13* much harder to hit?" My answer is yes it is! For all the reasons I listed. If he wanted a club to use off the tee primarily, I'd say go for it. However, he wants to use it off the deck. Even the best players I fit and play with who legitimately carry their 15 degree three woods in the 270-280 range have a very difficult time elevating 13 degree three woods. There's just not enough loft when combined with such a flat swing to get the ball up in the air.

• Administrator
If he wanted a club to use off the tee primarily, I'd say go for it. However, he wants to use it off the deck. Even the best players I fit and play with who legitimately carry their 15 degree three woods in the 270-280 range have a very difficult time elevating 13 degree three woods. There's just not enough loft when combined with such a flat swing to get the ball up in the air.

I dunno. I hit my 3W only 230 (carry) and I can hit a driver (even the 460cc ones) off the deck. So... perhaps we have a bit different perspective. I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe I should jump in. I hit my 3 wood (15*) about 240-250 from the fairway. I have a high ball flight with a slight fade, so i get little roll. I REALLY like my current 3 wood, it's one of my favorite clubs in the bag, but I just wanted that little extra edge. If I could get close to the same consitency form the 13* I'd love to swap it out. Otherwise I guess it would a case of "ain't broke, don't fix."
Thanks for the replies.

Also, does anyone know how long hummus stays good for in the fridge? I want to eat it, but it's been in the fridge for like 2 weeks and I'm a little scared.

Maybe I should jump in. I hit my 3 wood (15*) about 240-250 from the fairway. I have a high ball flight with a slight fade, so i get little roll. I REALLY like my current 3 wood, it's one of my favorite clubs in the bag, but I just wanted that little extra edge. If I could get close to the same consitency form the 13* I'd love to swap it out. Otherwise I guess it would a case of "ain't broke, don't fix."

I'd check to see if the company that makes your 3-wood makes a 13* and try it out. If not, you may want to see if you can pick one up second-hand and have it bent (by a professional). If the cost isn't that much, it might be worth a try.

Also, does anyone know how long hummus stays good for in the fridge? I want to eat it, but it's been in the fridge for like 2 weeks and I'm a little scared.

Hummus tastes best when it's in the garbage and you opt for something else.

That aside, nothing stays in our fridge more than a week. After that, all bets are off.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

If you're hitting a 3 wood 250, that's a pretty long par 5 if you can't hit it in two.

But, to repeat what other people said, most people think 250 but mean 220.

My advice? Go to a launch moniter with your club and look at some other 2/3 woods to see your actual yardages and launch angles.

Sprinkler head/pole/line on cart path says 250, ball lands on green. So I'm thinking that it's at least 240 carry. I'm not the best golfer by any means, but I know my yardages.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to get the steelhead III 3+.

Note: This thread is 6523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!