IGNORED

I know what I'm doing wrong but don't know how to fix it...

Note: This thread is 6489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm slicing all my iron shots (except for my PW). Basically, what is happening is--during my backswing--my wrists twist/turn so the club face opens up and then in the downswing I'm not closing the face (or bringing it back to the original state) so that--upon impact--the ball launches with the club face open...either going right immediately or slicing during flight. Is there a drill/technique to prevent this problem?

I don't have a clip of my swing, but I'll try listing it out for you:

1. Address position: ball is in the center of stance (maybe a little more towards front foot for 3/4/5 irons) with feet 1 ft apart from each other. I stand relatively far from the ball because--I find--when I stand closer/regular distance I tend to hit down early instead of a clean hit.

2. Weight transfer to right side.
3. Upper body twisting.
4. Arms move to 8 o'clock before right arm bends and pulls left arm up to the 'coil' position.
5. Weight starts transfer to left
6. Lower body starts to uncoil the upper body as arms come down
7. Arms come down with--what I'm seeing as--not enough counter wrist twisting.
8. Ball slices.

Not sure if this helps but I was hoping maybe someone with a similar problem who managed to solve it could give some insight.

Thanks in advance.

-N

Step 7, sounds like your arms are dropping down. What I think should happen is, your hips uncoil, right hip rotating through, with your butt of the club following. Make sure you have a good rotation of your lower and upper body.

Also, are you casting? If so, this would cause some slices and inconsistencies. I had this until my last lesson.

How high are you hitting the ball? I am not as good a player as these other posters but you really don't have to conciously rotate your hands on the backswing. I would take a look at the golf digest article by Peter Jacobsens teacher Jim Hardy, in search of the perfect swing I think. Someone posted the link in the thread on one plane versus two plane and see if you match up with one of those basic swing types. It sounds to me like you are mixing swing elements, so things may not be happening at the right time.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

My advice if you think you are opening the club face in the take away would be to put a pencil in your glove so it sits against the back of your hand and then take a practice swing. If you are opening the club face the pencil will put pressure on the back of your hand and may even snap.. a neutral takeaway should not increase the pressure of the pencil on your hand.

My advice if you think you are opening the club face in the take away would be to put a pencil in your glove so it sits against the back of your hand and then take a practice swing. If you are opening the club face the pencil will put pressure on the back of your hand and may even snap.. a neutral takeaway should not increase the pressure of the pencil on your hand.

I'm using a credit card for that purpose, less chance of a injury by getting punctured by the pencil tip...

a bit off topic - that's very funny but very disturbing avatar

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

lol... thanks.. i've had it in My Picutres for ages and just new it would come in handy sooner or later...I think it's from the ford championship last year where Tiger narrowly beat Farmer Phil.

Good idea with the credit card btw.. I actuall normally use a lollipop/popsicle stick which is a bit safer but not many people keep them in their golf bag.

I have the same problem. I was told by my instructer to keep the right hand thumb over the top of the club. I notice now that when I hit a slice I check my thumb right away and it normally is behind the club. Then on the next shot I always make sure my thumb is over the top and it goes straight. I have also tested the method by just holding the club and having my thumb in both positions and just twisting my wrists. With the thumb behind it twists easier and doesnt feel strange but with my thumb over the top it doesnt twist as easy and it feels rather wierd. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.

Note: This thread is 6489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!