IGNORED

ACL Surgery and playing again

MurphDurph
Note: This thread is 4713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit 120* of bend today...it nearly killed me haha. Planning on going to the putting green sometime next week to atleast get out of the house.

Don't stay on your feet for too long too soon - sure way to swell up!

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Been coaching football since Monday. On my feet on and off for roughly 5hrs. Mostly sitting haha. Haven't had any problems with swelling, just have to take a break every once in a while.

Good luck MurphDurph!!!!!

The game will be waiting for you when it's time. Maybe you can read up....some Dr. Bob Rotella and others....work on your preshot routine and mental approach to the game.

Soon you'll be able to putt......then chip.....then short pitches. The combination of working soley with the mental aspects and the short game will shave some serious strokes off your game.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I will keep that in mind. The two parts of my game that kill me are my drives and my putting. All irons and chips I'm pretty consistent, so I'm hoping that since all I can do is chip and putt I'll be able to step up the putting and still improve upon my short game.

I will keep that in mind. The two parts of my game that kill me are my drives and my putting. All irons and chips I'm pretty consistent, so I'm hoping that since all I can do is chip and putt I'll be able to step up the putting and still improve upon my short game.

Good luck....the real money is made around the hole!!!!

Hope your knee continues to heal properly.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• 1 year later...

Has anyone on this board actually torn their ACL playing golf?

Reviving this thread as I had my 2nd ACL surgery 5 weeks ago.  Both times involved ski injuries.

1st surgery was Nov 2008 and included an allograft reconstruction and meniscus trim of my right knee.  Also had a partial MCL tear that healed on its own.  Things went well and I started skiing again (very easy at first) around 4 months and think I started playing golf (left handed) around 6-7 months.  Felt ok hitting pitch shots, then played a few 9 holes rounds with nothing more than a 6 iron.  During one of my first 18 hole rounds, had a side hill lie and it felt a bit weird and didn't feel I could trust it after that, so I switched to playing right handed for then next few months.  This felt better (even if my scores were all over the place).  Returned to left handed at around the 9-10 month mark and didn't have any apparent issues after that.

While my knee felt reasonably good after 4 months, I could tell that the leg continued to strengthen until around the 18 month mark.  It never felt quite 100% normal, but I skied about 180 days on it between March '09 and May '11 without apparent incident.  I used to play basketball pretty regularly but have only shot around the last few years.  (My vertical has never been the same since an achilles tear on the same right leg 10 years ago.  I mention this as I wonder if anyone else besides me and Tiger have had achilles and ACL tears on the same leg??)

Just under 7 weeks ago, took an unusually skiing fall after catching both edges and felt the dreaded pop before landing on my right shoulder.  MRI showed a bucket handle tear of the medial meniscus along with a blown ACL and slight tear of the lateral meniscus.  Dr. said the surgery went well, but said the repaired ACL had been compromised prior to the fall 10 days before surgery.  When or how this happened, he (nor I) could say.  I still think that it probably occurred when I felt the pop, but am concerned that I might have done some sort of partial tear earlier.

Trying to figure out what sports I should be playing/avoiding after I'm done with this second rehab (which is slower because of the major meniscus repair that requires keeping my weight off it and restricted range of motion).

Some interesting stuff here http://www.golfersknee.com/ regarding golf and the wear and tear on the knee (more focused on meniscus/cartilage and arthritis)...golf is not easy on the knees, particularly your front leg.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 4713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!