IGNORED

Drills for fixing an out-to-in swing?

Note: This thread is 6481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Throughout my golfing life, my natural swing plane has always been a little steep, and I've played what's usually a controlled, high fade.

However, this season, it's looking a lot like my steep swing has morphed into an out-to-in swing on occasion, rearing its ugly head far too often. Now, depending on the clubface at impact, I'm yanking it straight but hard left, or I'm hitting a pull slice. I rarely, if ever, hook the ball.

My natural tendency is to aim down the middle of the fairway, even when I think I'm playing down the left side. And I don't like the idea of "playing my slice;" I'd much rather get this thing fixed than start compensating for obvious flaws.

I'm pretty sure it's my swing path... during practice swings, my clubhead blur does appear to be coming in from the outside and cutting across the ball.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get my path back on track?

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

ragontona,

The best drill to correct this problem is to get a headcover or other soft implement, and place it outside and barely behind your golf ball. If you come out to in you will hit the headcover first. Instant feed back.

Vijay Singh does a similar drill to correct the opposite problem, an in to out swing, by placing a water bottle outside and ahead of the target golf ball.

gas_can's advice is excellent and probably the easiest way to check the path of your swing.

Erik had another tip in another thread that I agree with...and can be used in conjunction with gas_can's tip. Just align the logo/stripe of the ball so that it is on the back, inside of the ball and try and hit the logo. This will help you swing from the inside.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, yesterday I reinjured my lower back doing some yard work, so I'm going to have to wait to try to work this out.

Could you just place a second ball near but behind the ball and accomplish the same thing while at the range.?

You could, but I like the idea of the "soft implement," just in case I swing poorly, I don't need to send that second ball careening off into who-knows-where. If I had access to a natural grass range, I'd probably just stick a tee in the ground behind the ball.

Note: This thread is 6481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!