• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aaronsrix17

Conforming Irons

8 posts in this topic

your 15 you won't have to worry about that till at the very least 2014 if you play us amateur

your not going to be able to find a set of conforming irons unless you enjoy playing with stuff from 1960/70s area. ping eye2s are the "newest" clubs with conforming grooves made by a major manufacturer to my knowledge. There are some exceptions, but the majority are not

2010 and after (I think) all irons built after that point will be under new conforming rules, so wait till then if you want clubs worth using.

your not going to be able to find a set of conforming irons unless you enjoy playing with stuff from 1960/70s area. ping eye2s are the "newest" clubs with conforming grooves made by a major manufacturer to my knowledge.

Not true at all. I know the Titleist AP2 irons that have been in bag for over a year conform to the new groove rules. There are others.

S-

Actually, I am pretty sure that there are quite a few sets of conforming irons available, based on what I've read. I know that some of Titleist's irons conform, as do some Nikes. That being said, the best way to find out would probably be to email a customer service rep at the company to find out for sure. I think the USGA's list should be out fairly soon. My understanding is that wedges are the clubs you most have to worry about vis-a-vis conformity.

After 2010 (I think) all irons built after that point will be under new conforming rules, so wait till then if you want clubs worth using.

More misinformation!

As of January 1st, 2010, any iron manufactured on or after that date that wants to be listed as conforming needs to conform to the new groove rules. S-

well i was guna buy them but i don't wana buy a new set again in 2014

If you get good enough for it to matter, you will have a new iron set by then.

S-

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Your swing looks great. You got a lot of time in on it and it shows. What was your handicap when you started? If I am lucky I play once a week and then practice 2-3 at the max with some at home practice.
    • I think a putter fitting is very important. For two things: Aim. Most people can't aim the putter(s) they own. Distance. The weight distribution in the putter greatly affects how well you can hit putts the proper distance.
    • Thanks, interesting, and not surprising. The marketing myths in golf equipment aren't unlike so many consumer products, yet I fall for some of them. Kind makes me wonder why so many folks here stress how important a putter fitting is. I know what length feels comfortable, I can see if the lie is reasonable and I can decide for myself if a putter looks, feels and putts "right" to me. For now I'm going to see if more practice cures my inconsistencies with my old putter.
    • My experience says no but I suppose some change in mechanics could bring about more distance. The major component is your athletic ability. For example, I started playing and hitting my PW 100 yards. I purchased new irons and was up to 130. Again I purchased new irons and and the PW is 140. My swing and lag has progressed considerably since I started but I am very athletic and aware of my biomechanics and body position. Unless you are making swing changes, or don't understand where your power is generated, you will not gain much distance.
    • I'm glad you're enjoying golf Joe, but how could a Scot not? Oh! I thought that was so clever! Distance comes with clubhead speed and solid contact. Both must work together to produce the desired result. If I had my "druthers" (an American idiom as far as I know), I would prefer solid contact over pure clubhead speed. I see plenty of guys who can swing the club amazingly hard, and hit the ball a long way, but have no idea where it will end up. Centered contact will allow you to maximize the distance of your swing speed and have some idea where the ball is going. As your swing become more "grooved" you may be able to increase your speed and hit the ball farther. I'd suggest you learn the game with the equipment you have. Absolutely nothing wrong with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts. On the PGA Tour, J.B. Holmes plays Dynamic Gold S400 shafts in his irons. And he's a Tour Pro! If you don't have a clubfitter or coach to work with, I'd tell you to resist falling into the trap of "buying a better swing"! Meaning buying more and (maybe) better equipment hoping to shave a few strokes!
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. bigtosh90
      bigtosh90
      (27 years old)
    2. dopplegvnger
      dopplegvnger
      (25 years old)
    3. Frank62
      Frank62
      (55 years old)