IGNORED

Putter length

Note: This thread is 5329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am 6'7" so all my clubs have an extra 1.5" on them, I have been using the same putter for several years and was wondering if it should be lengthened as well. I assume that it is all a matter of personal opinion and feel, just curious. Are there any draw backs to adding length to a putter?
Thanks,
JR

The only downside is that many players feel like they have more control over the head with a shorter shaft because their hands are closer to the head. However, it's really a personal choice. Look at Robert Garrigus, who I would guess is a little over 6 foot and is using a putter that is 29 inches (maybe shorter) and of course now lots of players are using belly and long putters with success. It's all about finding a putter that fits you comfortable, confident putter stance and stroke instead of adjusting your stance and stroke to fit your putter.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I guess it all depends on what stance you feel the most comfortable in.

I'm 6'5" and use 35" putters. I tend to grip them the lower third of the grip and I crouch a bit.

Putting is such a personal thing. I feel like I'm getting it right some days (not today) and struggle others.

The local shop that sells PING gear has a "fitting" putter that they set up for various lengths and lie angles to evaluate you favorite parameters. PING will make it to those specs and I don't believe there is any extra charge. Gotta love that!!!!!

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

The only downside is that many players feel like they have more control over the head with a shorter shaft because their hands are closer to the head. However, it's really a personal choice. Look at Robert Garrigus, who I would guess is a little over 6 foot and is using a putter that is 29 inches (maybe shorter) and of course now lots of players are using belly and long putters with success. It's all about finding a putter that fits you comfortable, confident putter stance and stroke instead of adjusting your stance and stroke to fit your putter.

I agree. I'm 6'4" and play a 35 inch putter, but I choke down on it quite a bit. Another thing to consider is that changing the length will change the swing weight, so your clubfitter would have to adjust this also.

I would recommend getting fit, like Dub suggested. Good luck,

Man, I was talking to that guy while he was on the putting green today at The Barclays. He said he just has ultimate feel with it, that's why he uses such a short shaft. But man is that thing short. I thought it was a joke when I first saw him!!! Really nice guy though, he lipped out from 50 feet twice in about 5 putts, it was unbelievable!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 5329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!