IGNORED

Back from Bandon Dunes

spogan
Note: This thread is 4608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just got back yesterday from an incredible 4 day golf vacation to Portland and Bandon Dunes. We played 5 rounds in those 4 days. Trip began last week Wednesday at Pumpkin Ridge in North Plains just outside of Portland. Really nice golf course. Was a little disappointed it was cart path only so we decided to walk w/pull carts. Man were we tired after that round as the course is pretty hilly.

Stayed the night in Portland, woke up early and drove 4.5 hours to Bandon Dunes for our 12:40pm tee time at Pacific Dunes. Didn't know that I had to reserve caddies, but we were able to get two really nice guys (Travis & Jesse) They were both from Coos Bay and they really earned their money with our group. I cannot put into words just how awesome Pacific Dunes is. We played in a 25-30mph wind, so it did take it's toll. Went out 54-45, that included 3 birdies (6,12 & 18). I probably averaged 5-8 pictures on every hole. It was truly the most amazing golf course I've ever played.

3 of us proceeded to close the Bunker Bar that night and stumbled our way back to our room at around 2am. What a wonderful thing to do with starting a 36 hole journey that began with Bandon Dunes at 7:20am and then an afternoon round at Bandon Trails at 1:50pm. Really liked both of these courses. We were luck to have little to no wind that day, but the night before really took a toll on my body. Also, I had blisters on top of blisters which didn't help either. At about the 12th hole at the Trails I was ready to pack it in, but I made it through the round. Don't know how the caddies do it carrying 2 bags?? I actually like the Trails course a little bit better than the Dunes. The last 4 holes at the Trails course are very challenging. Lucky we didn't have much wind. Although the last 2 holes we played in a fog and that was tough. One thing about all the courses is the terrain. If you're thinking you will be playing in perfectly manicured fairways, you won't. My friend who played in Ireland 2 yrs ago said it was as close as you'll get to Ireland without being there. We were so lucky with the weather. Sunny and 70-75 the both days we were there.

Saturday, our last day we played Bandon Crossings. All I can say is that I'm glad they had carts because there was no way I was walking! I'm glad we decided to play here because it was a really nice golf course. Greens and fairways were more like we were used to here in the Midwest. Very scenic course with trees and mountain views as well. Would definitely play it again.

I would love to go back here everyear, but don't know if that's possible. I will say that everyone should go here and play. It's an unbelievable golfing experience for those of you who really love golf. If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

sounds absolutely awesome... please post some good pics

If you can't go back every year... just hit up some of the Midwest's best links / seaside courses...
1) Arcadia Bluffs (MI)
2) Bay Harbor (MI)
3) Whistling Straits and the Irish (WI)
4) Forrest Dunes (MI)

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I've been dreaming of going to Bandon Dunes for years now. I'm going to take an epic golf journey next year and golf 100 courses across the US. I'm scheduled to hit Bandon in early November. I don't care if it's raining and howling, I'll be smiling the whole time I'm there!

Pumpkin Ridge - $90 (twilight rate w/pull cart)

Bandon Dunes trip booked through Flanigan Tours - $1047

Included:
1 round Pacific Dunes
1 round Bandon Dunes
1 round Bandon Trails
1 round Bandon Crossings (golf w/cart)

2 nights stay at the Inn at Bandon Dunes

Didn't include caddies which were $55 plus $25 tip. Took caddies at Pacific, Dunes & Trails courses.

I spent last Thanksgiving weekend at Bandon Dunes. The weather was absolutely perfect everyday - 60+ degrees, sunny, and no wind.

Even with typical November/December days, it's a great time of year to go. The greens fees are 1/3 the summer price and the course is still in great shape.

That sounds like a great trip. Glad you had fun and also made a few birdies while you were there.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like a good time, need to practice more and save up first!

Whats in my  Stratus Stand Bag
Driver:  Burner 2.0 9.5°

3 Wood:  R11 15.5°

3 Hybrid:  Burner 2.021°

Irons: taylormade.gif R7 4-PW,AW 
Wedge:  xFT 56° and RAC 60° 

Putter: taylormade.gif Ghost Spider 34"
Ball: srixon.gif Q-Star bridgestone.gif e6/B330-RX

• 2 months later...
is there much for the non-golfer to do around bandon dunes/coos bay area?
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

That is awesome, good stuff! Sounds like a great price too for that level of golf courses... I've been wanting to go to Bandon since I read Dream Golf... Yes, please post some pics!

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

• 1 month later...
Hitting Bandon in August with 8 guys. Got house on cliff just north of Bandon Dunes. Bandon just amended policy regarding teetimes and staying at Resort. They surcharge but staying there is the killer. Rooms are so overpriced. Really looking forward playing the new Old Macdonald...But if you like Links Golf. Best place in USA....What a rotation of gems.

is there much for the non-golfer to do around bandon dunes/coos bay area?

I went up to Oregon six years ago. I golfed, fished, and snowboarded.

fishing near coos bay http://www.coos-bay.net/fishing.html http://www.fishingcoosbay.com/ There is a nice wildlife safari nearby http://www.wildlifesafari.net/

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 1 year later...

I own a Beach house in Bandon and I have a lot of golfers stay. From what I understand they save quite a bit. October and November usually is great weather and prices drop on beach rentals

Note: This thread is 4608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!