IGNORED

The Plane Truth...

Note: This thread is 6030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Probably the type of question that would take a book to answer... oh wait, it did!

I'll agree with you on the suggestion to focus on the short game to drastically lower scores. But I believe there are fundamental differences between the OP & TP (or classic) chip.

I just finished reviewing Hardy's Secrets of the Vault #2 - Short Game DVD. At address with the chip shot, Hardy suggests using a 30-40° open stance and to also position the leading edge of the club square to the target line while positioning club shaft neutral to the body (no forward press.) He then goes on by saying to rotate back by leading with the club's back corner (opposite the toe at the trailing edge) around the torso and under the plane created by the club's shaft at address. At the end of the back swing position, the right palm should be facing up and parallel to the ground. When swinging down, rotate the body, keep the elbows close to your belly and slide your right palm forward so the thumb is pointing to the target. You must keep your palm relatively flat the whole time, until well after the ball strike. This method introduces a very wide and shallow descend through the ball, where the club's bounce slides along the ground and passes under. I tried it out and it works very well. The same method can be applied for pitch shots as well. The only difference is that the follow through is longer and the wedge is open at address, instead of square. Using the same exact swing, the distance is controlled by one of two things. The club itself (9W, GW,PW, SW, etc) and the amount the club face is open. Hardy shows an example where he uses a SW open about 85° and flattened down to the ground at address. With this amount of the club opened and using the same swing as for all other pitches, the ball traveled about 4-5 ft. With the club open 30°, it traveled 30 ft.

I have had a one plane swing for as long as I've played golf (not that long, but it sounds sagely

If trying the OPS it could be one of the following:

1. You're not keeping the right arm up and back during the rotation in the downswing. 2. During the the downswing, you're tilting your right shoulder down. Make sure you're rotating your shoulders around. 3. You might be reverse pivoting. Try not to bump your hips forward (towards the target) during the downswing. Look here for more help -> OPS

Are you saying that you've been hitting it fat since you've tried swinging with a more upright posture. Or are you saying that you've always hit it fat since you started golf using the OPS?

Hitting it fat since I tried to move my swing more upright. I don't mean I was a perfect ball striker before or anything, but I was decent.

If trying the OPS it could be one of the following:

I always had a OPS, but was told to make it more upright, is that not bordering on a TPS?? I don't know, I'm so confused.

I like my right arm position at the top though, I don't think thats the problem. I guess it does feel like a sort of bumb my hips when I think about it. Also now that my brain is in gear, I definatly drop my right shoulder in the downswing. So I guess I am reverse pivoting then? Thanks a million for the help, can't wait to get back to the range.(If only I wasn't stuck in Belfast for a week at a time...It'll have to wait till the weekend!)
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I always had a OPS, but was told to make it more upright, is that not bordering on a TPS?? I don't know, I'm so confused.

Actually, it is not because the TPS is more about timing and keeping a steady tempo between the arms and torso during rotation. The TP golfer will want to keep the triangle formed by the arms and torso constant during the rotation. That way, the club head is square to the target when the torso is looking at the ball.

In the OPS, it's important to keep the arms tight against the body. The left arm tight against the chest from address and back, and the right arm against the the torso well after impact. The shoulders and torso drive the downward swing rotation as the left arm is pushed for a ride through impact. In Hardy's method, the right elbow does not lead, but stays back behind the right hip. He advocates a right hand overhand throwing motion during the downswing that should rotate closely around the torso for the OPS. For more help, go HERE to view some helpful videos on the OPS.

Geezer,

The point of Jim Hardy's One-Plane/Two-Plane book is that it is fatal to try and mix
the elements of one swing with another. If you truly have a OPS, and try to stand more upright, you are mixing in a TPS element, and in all probability will screw up your swing.

My advice - buy the book (or read it at Barnes and Noble), find out which swing type you
prefer, and then eliminate elements of the other swing from your style. I'm a two planer,
so I know that any tip that begins with "bend over more", or "rotate your hips quickly" or "swing on a flatter plane" will be certain death to my swing, and I can ignore them.

Geezer,

I learned that mixing can be death the hard way.

I tried the 'tip' to get more upright at the top, lost all conection, became seperated from my core (with my arms) and nearly shank the ball pretty consistently now. Must get the book now and 're-learn' the OPS.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I was just reading through some threads here after watching that informercial for a while yesterday. I was just wondering if someone could explain the difference between the One-Plane Swing and the Two-Plane Swing? How do I know which one I use?

I know it's an interesting topic, but in truth it doesn't really matter. Gee- not everyone even defines one plane vs. two plane the same way.

Right now, the best thing you can do for your swing is to learn a few basics: 1. Set up square 2. Learn to make a proper grip 3. Learn to make impact with a flat left wrist 4. Learn to make a good pivot Once you get those things, the rest will flow.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 6030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!