IGNORED

CG10 / CG11 - Anyone owned one of these? Opinion?

PJS
Note: This thread is 6485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone.
I have heard that the soft metal these clubs are made of wears very quickly - in your experience is that the case?
I've managed to score a CG10 (56 2 dot satin) fairly cheap and brand new, but before I take it out of the wrapper I want to be sure what they're like.
I already have a 588 49 which I like but have been told these are no longer being made. I can get a straight swap for a 588 gunmetal 56 from a local shop and can buy a 53 to go with, but they want to charge me almost as much as a CG10.
If the CG10s are good I might just hunt for a 53 going cheap.
I'm not a low handicapper yet (hope to be soon) and am generally using 2 piece balls which I guess might damage the softer metal.
Thanks for giving your opinion!
(did a search for a similar topic but didn't see one)

When they first came out, the CG10s were even softer than they are now, and definitely had some wear problems. That problem seems to have been cleared up in subsequent shipments. If you have a lot of little stones in the traps you usually play or really rough sand, you might see more wear than you're used to (of course that would tear up any soft wedge).

Otherwise, you should get decent wear out of them now. I've been playing a CG10 52* gap wedge for probably 18 months now. I use it all the time, and it's still in good shape. They have good feel and great stopping power on the green.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had the CG11 wedges all season. I live in Minnesota and it seems like most of our traps are filled with the same sand they throw on the roads in the winter. My 56's wear pattern is a little different than the others, but nothing that I would count as evidence that it's wearing down overly quickly, nor is anything different than I've seen with Cleveland or Titleist wedges I've had in the past. I'm really enjoying this particular model of wedge because it feels like a wedge should, but I can make a full swing and that little cavity provides just the right amount of forgiveness for me on mishits.

-Mike
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've had the CG11 wedges all season. I live in Minnesota and it seems like most of our traps are filled with the same sand they throw on the roads in the winter. -Mike

What courses are you playing that the traps are filled with road salt??

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

What courses are you playing that the traps are filled with road salt??

Well ya know... that might be a sliiiiiiiiiight exaggeration

But I would be referring to the City of Minneapolis courses, Francis Gross, Meadowbrooke, & Columbia more specifically.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

Hi everyone.

I have a CG10 54* 2-dot and noticed that the sole showed a lot of wear after some practice in the bunker. Overall, I haven't been entirely impressed w/ the club. I had a 900 series 54* low-bounce that I absolutely loved. Alas, it was stolen about a month ago.

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Thanks guys for your replies so far, they've been great. looks like I'll stick with the 56 I've already got, and keep my eye out for a cheap gap.
Wierd to see they're cast and not forged.
The main concern for me was that the grooves would stay deep and sharp for a good amount of time, not too worried about the sole, figure it would take a lot of bunker shots to lose the bounce!
Thanks again. Any more input people have to give would still be great. At the moment it'll be the price for the gap wedge, to decide between 588 or CG10!
Have a good one!

Note: This thread is 6485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!