IGNORED

Who uses a HYBRID?

Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought one recently to help my 5 iron distance. To me the 5 iron is the transition club from really hitting down on the ball and the sweeping motion of the lower irons. Since my hip surgery I have lost about 20 yds in my five iron and thought a hybred might help. Anyone else using hybreds?

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

Not yet, I want one to replace a 2 iron. They are good for those tight courses, or when my driver game is off waiting for Golfsmith to start stocking the new Titleist 585

Equipment
Driver: Titleist 983k 8.5 speeder stiff
5 wood: Taylormade r540xd
Irons: Cleveland TA-7, 3-PW
Wedges:Titleist Vokey Oil Can SM 54,60*Putter: Odyssey 3300 DFX bladeBall:Titleist ProV1

I use hybrids...

I have one in a 2 iron loft because I've never been successful with fairway woods. The 2 iron version of the hybrid is getting me more distance than the inconsistency of my 3 wood did. While it's not a replacement for a 3W for most people, it is for me.

I replaced the 3 iron with a hybrid as well, I hit the hybrid much straighter than the 3 iron but also much higher, which helps my ball hold greens from the 200 yard range; something I had problems with before.

I guess for me the draw was that they fly like fairway woods but I get to swing them like irons, a little more down on the ball.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

I do not use them YET. I'm currently researching the best options for me, right now I think I'm leaning toward a Callaway Heavenwood #3, need a little more demo time however.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

i have one that cam with my set, i think its a 3, but not sure on the whole thing yet, like whats the point of them?

The point of a hybrid is that the larger clubhead, more loft, and improved stability increases forgiveness over the standard iron it replaces. For me it gives me a 3 iron I'm confident in taking out of the bag in situations other than punching it out of the tree line. When I take the hybrid out, I'm confident I will hit the green 7 times out of 10 at 200 yards as opposed to 4 out of 10.

In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

Not yet, I want one to replace a 2 iron. They are good for those tight courses, or when my driver game is off waiting for Golfsmith to start stocking the new Titleist 585

The only thing a 2 iron is good for is during a electrical storm. You hold it straight up in the air, even God can't hit a two iron! Thats terrible isn't it and I hope the good Lord has a sense of humor!

3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

• Administrator
The only thing a 2 iron is good for is during a electrical storm. You hold it straight up in the air, even God can't hit a two iron! Thats terrible isn't it and I hope the good Lord has a sense of humor!

2-irons also seem to be good for winning British Opens this year...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2-irons also seem to be good for winning British Opens this year...

That was an amazing display of golf ability by Tiger and I wonder why more of the pros didn't try the same thing. The thing is, how many are as accurate with the long irons as Tiger? I doubt very many!

I apologize for cluttering up the board, I just posted a new thread that I bought a hybrid when in reality it would best fit here.

I just picked up a Big Bertha Heavenwood 4h!! I'm looking forward to seeing how effective this will be for me. Wish me luck!
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I use a 23 degree Cobra hybrid, which replaces my 4 iron. In the year since I acquired it, I have gained great confidence in my ability to use it successfully from several different lies. One of the great values of a hybrid ( and I think there are several - not just fact they make getting the ball airborn easier ) is that they may be used from different lies with greater ease than the equivalent long iron or fairway wood, at least, that's the hype. My experience is that the hype is NO hype, the claim is true. I have hit balls well out of fairway bunkers and very uneven lies. Of course they don't work miracles, but they are a miracle of modern ingenuity and design. In sum, they inspire confidence. I am considering replacing my trusty 7 and 5 woods with hybrids. I hope this helps.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I've never tried one but am interested. What Hybrid would you replace a 2-iron with? Or a 3-wood? They go by loft right?

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

I just joined the hybrid club. My Cleveland Halo 2i (19 degree) just came in the mail today. Haven't taken the little fella out on the course/range yet, but I'll break her in sometime this weekend.

• Administrator
I've never tried one but am interested. What Hybrid would you replace a 2-iron with? Or a 3-wood? They go by loft right?

It depends. It's a combination of the right loft and length.

For example, an 18 degree hybrid would probably replace my 2-iron, which had a loft of 16 degrees. I've been using the TM Rescue Dual TP at 19 degrees, but I'm excited to have the Titleist 585H at 17 degrees, which I think will fit in perfectly between my 3-iron and my 3-wood.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!