IGNORED

How important is a steady head?

mcman1
Note: This thread is 5279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do believe in stable head but this always amazes me when talking about stable head.

They are not known for the best swing but the fact that they are the top ladies in LPGA is something.

"During our weekly Lamaze class, the instructor emphasized the importance of exercise, hinting strongly that husbands need to get out and start walking with their wives. From the back of the room one expectant father inquired, "Would it be okay if she carries a bag of golf clubs while she walks?"

Keeping your head still is important but the amount of movement also depends on what swing your making. A good rule of thumb is the short or slower the swing the steadier the head. Driver swing is probably going to have more movement than a chip or a putt. I'll bet Gulbis doesn't have that kind of movement on a pitch, chip or putt.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

I do believe in stable head but this always amazes me when talking about stable head.

I never realized how much Paula loaded the shaft. She's got shades of Hogan in her swing.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've not been playing too long, but I can really notice the difference if my head moves massively.

Obviously the head will need to move a little, but it makes sense when you think that the head is attached to the spine... and that is what we really are trying to rotate around while keeping it in the same position!!

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

Keeping a steady head is really helpful to me on shorter shots (putter, wedge, short irons); I really try to see the club make contact. But on longer shots (especially driver) I feel really restricted in my backswing and jammed on my downswing if I focus on a steady head. My attempts to keep my eye on the ball through impact usually result in dropkicks, pull-hooks, or push-slices. I guess what I'm asking is: should I really be trying to focus my eyes on the golf ball all the way through impact with my driver? Thanks.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

It just occurred to me that one reason why Natalie and Paula want to drop their head right is that it will help flatten the bottom of the swing. If you don't know what I mean, look at the lines on the board in these pictures here. http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...d_solid_impact

You don't want to drop your head before the impact since you may hit the ground first but if you time it right at the impact, it will help you achieve flat swing bottom shown above. The longer the club head stays lower to the ground, the better chance you have for hitting it down and solid.

"During our weekly Lamaze class, the instructor emphasized the importance of exercise, hinting strongly that husbands need to get out and start walking with their wives. From the back of the room one expectant father inquired, "Would it be okay if she carries a bag of golf clubs while she walks?"

I recently read an article by Hank Haney where he was emphasizing the importance of keeping your head steady during the golf swing. Does this make a big difference?

Note: one of the most sucessful teachers in the game emphasizes something...

It's probably important.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!