IGNORED

"It's All About Impact" by Andrew Rice

iacas
Note: This thread is 4504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Discuss "It's All About Impact" by Andrew Rice here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't read the book but I love this concept - it's what I think about. It really is the key to hitting a golf ball. Your hands are your only connection to the golf club, which connects with the ball. Your hands at impact are so crucial - too many people get caught up with all the other aspects (which, are important in their own right) but the impact position is the most relative to good ball flight.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

This is my first book review so I am not quite sure what people are looking for, but I will just put a few of my thoughts down from the book.

The Book: “It’s All About Impact”

Author: Andrew Rice

I have been very excited about this book coming out because the author, Andrew Rice has been my instructor for several years now. Honestly I didn’t know what to expect when I was sent the e-copy of the book this week, but I was shocked how well organized and thought out the book was.

Quick Background Setup: Andrew Rice is from South Africa and his strong golf game brought him to the states for Collage. After school he found a passion for teaching and spent 7 years working with Ledbetter down at one of David’s schools in FL. He was brought up to Berkeley Hall in Bluffton, SC about 8 years ago to be the Head of Instruction at the Berkeley Hall Learning Center. His past and current students include many top amateurs, LPGA, Nationwide and PGA players.

The book: In the book Andrew explains how the idea for the book came about. While at the Verizon Heritage on Hilton Head with one of the PGA players he coaches, Andrew has his Ah Ha moment watching several players practice. He noticed something about the sound of their shots, they all sound the same, no matter what the swing looks like. He concluded it must then be All About Impact.

The book goes into detail about how he analyzed history top player’s swings and the shocking results. Andrew uses wonderful full body images of these plays at different positions to prove his findings. The book also is filled with great photography of Andrew demonstrating everything he talks about from the swing, to practice, the sand game, drills and much more. One note about the drills, they are very easy to understand and the photos make a huge difference.

My favorite drill is call the Basketball Drill and it helps achieve the 84* secret angle at the top to improve impact.

After Andrew fully conveys his unbelievable findings the book then goes into other factors that impact the game. Such as practice and his theory of how to practice, shot shaping, equipment (club •••••s be forewarned, the latest is NOT always the greatest) and much more.

For those that are really into self swing analysis, there is an entire chapter devoted to this. Andrew goes through the how to, what equipment and even the common mistakes most people make when doing self swing analysis. One of the most helpful parts of the chapter are the great checks to remember when watching your own swing. They really keep you focused on what is import to promote the proper impact.

In summary I feel this book gives me the understanding and the tools to no longer stress over perfect fundamentals, form and what I look like at the top of my swing. I am now just focusing on impact. But you don’t have to just take my word for it, there are some great endorsements of Andrew and his book by several of the worlds best including Nick Price, Ian Poulter, Ian Baker-Finch, Conrad Ray (Stanford head coach, NCAA coach of the year) and many more.

You can check out more about the book and even get a FREE e-chapter at the book’s website www.itsallaboutimpact.com

Please feel free to email Andrew with any questions at Andrew@andrewricegolf.com

Thanks for taking the time to read and I would strongly encourage you to purchase this book. It will change your game for the better and for the long term!
My Sticks
Driver - Adams Tech A4 9.5* Matrix Xcon 7 X flex 266 Freq
3Wd - Exotics CB2 15* Motore F1 S flex tipped to 275 Freq
Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue TP 17* & 21*
Irons - 4 thru PW Mizuno MP 62 +1/2 X100 shaftsWedges - Vokey 52* and Scratch Golf WLD grind 58*Putter - Rife IBF Tour Assie custom fitGri...

It seems like your teacher advoacates a stack and tilt type of swing. You find this true? Or am i mistaken?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Administrator
It seems like your teacher advoacates a stack and tilt type of swing. You find this true? Or am i mistaken?

I'm going to review the book shortly after the Thanksgiving break (review is started), but I had the same thought.

Kind of. Andrew cares only about keeping your head centered, and not "moving off the ball." He doesn't care how you do it - hand path, weight shift (or not), etc. - just that you have the 84 degrees or so at the top and that you push your hips forward to impact. Those are just two of many of the "pieces" that make up S&T; - but also a lot of other "methods" too - so it's not full-on S&T.; I do have the feeling that if Andrew spent some time with Plummer and Bennett he might be convinced... but I think that's almost true for anyone. He's just already "leaning" that way a little through his own independent analysis.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm going to review the book shortly after the Thanksgiving break (review is started), but I had the same thought.

Where is the 84 degrees found? Is this left wrist angle, or from lead arm to clubshaft?

• Administrator
Where is the 84 degrees found? Is this left wrist angle, or from lead arm to clubshaft?

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/?tag=84-degree-secret

I think it's interesting but I hate how everything is a friggin' "secret". Like the PGA Tour is some Freemason society and they'd all die to protect these unknown truths. I feel like Nicholas Cage reading through this stuff.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

A little background information on myself:

I came to the USA from South Africa on a golf scholarship in '87. I was a second team All-American in '91 and chased the dream for too long before turning to teaching in late '94. I taught for David Leadbetter for 6 years before branching out on my own. I am currently the Director of Instruction at Berkeley Hall in South Carolina, where I have been for almost 9 years. I have taught PGA and LPGA winners along with five USGA champions.

"It's All About Impact" is a compilation of my findings from studying the greatest golfers of the last 60 years. I found that all these golfers are in very similar positions at impact, yet very dissimilar just about everywhere else in the swing. Compare Nicklaus to Snead going back, or Lopez to Hogan at the top! I started to notice (as I'm sure the SnT guys did) that they all (except Player and Ballesteros - two golfers not known for their hitting prowess) stayed very much over the ball in the backswing. From Patty Berg to Annika to Nelson to Nicklaus - they all stayed inside an 84 degree line drawn along their backside. Erik has already addressed the 84 degree secret (sorry about the name, but it was either that or "law" or "rule" or something cliche to pique the interest!), so if you don't know what it is take a look at the link provided in his earlier post.

Everything these golfers did seemed to be "impact driven" - the correlations in their grips, address positions, shoulder pivot and body motion all aided them in getting to impact in an efficient, and thus repeatable, manner. My objective with the information in the book is to encourage golfers to maintain their own individual style (we are all different, and how many of the best swing alike?) yet improve their ball striking by fitting within a few simple, yet clearly defined parameters. Work towards improving the function of the swing over the form of the swing, because the greatest golfers are surely evidence enough that there is not one "form" that works for all - or is better than another for that matter.

I hope you'll take a look.

How about this interesting stat: There is not a single active/competitive golfer today on the PGA or Euro tour who has won as many majors as Raymond Floyd - or half as many as Lee Trevino!

Andrew Rice
www.itsallaboutimpact.com
Andrew Rice
www.andrewricegolf.com
www.itsallaboutimpact.com

• Administrator
How about this interesting stat: There is not a single active/competitive golfer today on the PGA or Euro tour who has won as many majors as Raymond Floyd - or half as many as Lee Trevino!

I'm pretty sure Tiger Woods has won as many majors as Raymond Floyd...

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
For a limited time (I think), the eBook is $11.95. Guys, for that price, everyone should pick it up. I don't care if you only get one useful drill out of it - that's less than a sleeve of premium balls.

Details at Andrew's blog .

• 2 months later...
I purchased the eBook a few weeks ago. What I like about the book is that it is short, to the point, and has very good illustrations to back up what Andrew is saying in the text. Over the past few weeks, I have been working on my swing at the driving range with great results. I'm finally hitting with a draw instead of pushing everything, and taking the correct size divots on most swings. I've also gained about 15-20 yards on each of my low irons, and working on getting my higher irons more consistent. Thanks for the good book Andrew.

• 3 weeks later...
". their hands and arms were actually still completing the backswing while their bodies (hips and legs) had already begun the downswing."
from http://www.andrewricegolf.com/?tag=84-degree-secret

Very interesting statement in an era of teaching that tries to break a swing into backswing, downswing, and follow-through. When components are delineated in such a manner I think people have a tendency to ensure each phase has completed before the next phase has begun. That type of delineated thinking will result in jerky swings.

In short, I think it is a fantastic observation.

• 1 year later...
Just went on a golf book spree for Kindle on my iPad 2 and this was one of the purchases. I'll report back here with a review once I've managed to read it. EDIT: Got bored with wifey "does this go with that?" questions at the store so am back in the car reading this. 30% in and it's a really good read so far. I already have ideas for next practice!

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Though I found the book a little on the thin side (and by "a little" I mean just that - and remember that being "thin" is better than being "thick" with bad information!), Andrew's offering a pretty great deal right now that makes this worthwhile:

Okay seriously – I now realize I have printed way too many books and it’s time to get them out of the house. In order to maintain the festive cheer in the Rice house over the holidays I have agreed (with much persuasion from my agent/wife) to sell them on clearance. If you buy one hard cover copy for $26.95 I will send you four signed books. Shipping for all four books is $12 which means you receive four copies delivered to your doorstep for under $40 (US orders only). You now have a tremendous resource to aid in your off season improvement and a gift for each member of your Saturday morning foursome. This way life is good for you….and for me! Please help. If you have enjoyed this blog over the years and still have not broken down and purchased your hardcover versionyour patience has finally paid off.

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2011/11/impact-bonus/

$38.95 for FOUR signed books.

Can't beat that with a stick.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!