IGNORED

San Diego?

Note: This thread is 6590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

I will be out in San Diego in September and was wondering if anyone could give me a list of courses to play. We are staying downtown and I have a rental car. My girlfriend will be working for 3 of the days so I am free to get away. I was tossing around the idea of playing Torrey Pines but for $135 is it worth it? I was also looking at the Muni in Balboa Park. Any thoughts on this? Coronado is also nearby. Any suggestions?

There are probably dozens of courses out there. I would like to put together a nice little trip that is both cost effective and won't require too much driving.

I appreciate any guidance here, as this will be my first trip to the area.

Thanks in advance,
Seth

In the bag:
Taylormade R11S Fubuki
Taylormade Rocketballz 15
Adams Super Black 19
Mizuno MX200 4-GW

Cleveland CG14 w/ Spinner Shafts 54* & 58*

Oddessey Tour White Hot #1

Nike 20Xi - S

I am between clubs right now

Hey everyone,

it's not going to be cheap, but for the value... worth every penny - check out PGA West at La Quinta

http://www.pgawest.com/ If you want to play 2 rounds one day - book only one and take advantage of their replay rate (if I remember correctly it was something like $40?) on the second course. The Stadium at PGA West is a MUST PLAY. From the layout through the conditions - way better than Torrey Pines - and you won't have problems getting a tee time, I'm sure. No ocean views, but desert could be pretty too, trust me I've been to LA for business 3 times and I drove down 3 times - w/o regrets!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you're in luck I'm from San Diego, grew up there, went to SDSU, played golf all over..blah..blah..blah

Anyway I've played Balboa Park many times and it's a good muni and cheap. It's a bear. Coronado is super fun..easy (much easier than Balboa)..but hard to get on..unless you show up early as a single and get on the waiting list..

Other ones I'd highly suggest and moderately priced ($40-50)

-Singing Hills (Willow Glen Course)
-Rancho San Diego (right next door to Singing Hills)
-Steele Canyon (really nice..might be a tad expensive but WORTH it)
-Eagle Crest (this one is about 45 min. north of downtown)
-Riverwalk
-The Auld

On the cheaper end:

Chula Vista
Bonita
Mission Hills

They have your higher end ones like La Costa, Madera, Del Mar Highland but I've never played there.

Google them for more info.

I second Steele Canyon and also reccomend Red Hawk in Temucula.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Thanks guys!

This is exactly the kind of info I needed to get things started. If anyone else has any other suggestions please feel free to let me know. And more importantly if anyone is in the area September 10-12th and wants to play let me know.

I will follow up with my planned itinerary.

Seth

In the bag:
Taylormade R11S Fubuki
Adams Super Black 19
Mizuno MX200 4-GW

Nike 20Xi - S

You can't really go wrong with what the others have suggested.

My Top.5

excluding Torrey, Maderas, La Costa and Aviara
1. Steele Canyon
2. Carlton Oaks
3. Carmel Mt. Ranch C.C.
4. Rancho Bernardo Inn
5. Salt Creek aka. The Auld

honorable mention: Balboa and Double Tree (spotted LaDainian Tomlinson a couple times this summer, he has pretty good swing too.)

p.s. if you're Military check out Sea n' Air , Admiral Baker or Miramar.

907D2 9.5 Proforce V2 75 S
906F2 15* Proforce V2 95 S
MD 19* Proforce V2 100 S
735 CM 3-PW DG s400 Vokey 200 53.11*/SM 58.08* DG s300 Scotty C. Studio Design 3.5Balls -

All good suggestions. Rancho Bernardo Inn is a bit pricey, but a fine course. If you want a real challenge, try Mount Woodson, off of Rte. 67 in Ramona. It's the most demanding in the San Diego area IMO. Beautiful, hilly and very punishing of wayward drives - like mine recently with my new 460. Torrey Pines is worth the money, always interesting to compare your efforts to the pros and there are some spectacular views. Just don't let all the aerial activity (F18s, Cessnas, paragliders etc) distract you ! As a single I can often walk on within 45 min, at the right time of day. Temecula Creek is another excellent course, worth the drive up I-15 to Temecula, north of Escondido. You're going to have a good time here in SD whatever you decide.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks again for all the great advice.

I leave on Saturday. I am planning on playing Balboa on Sunday, Torrey Pines on Monday, Carlton Oaks on Tuesday, and then Catalina (9 holes) on Thursday.

Just a couple of quick questions before I leave:

It sounds like tee times are not required at any of these courses if I am a single. Should I just show up early and check in with the starter to see when I can get out? Is this common practice? What will it cost on a weekday at Torrey Pines with morning rate? ($130)

I am somwhat confused by these booking fees and non resident pricing. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Any comments about the 9 holer on Catalina?

Many thanks!

Seth

In the bag:
Taylormade R11S Fubuki
Adams Super Black 19
Mizuno MX200 4-GW

Nike 20Xi - S

It sounds like tee times are not required at any of these courses if I am a single. Should I just show up early and check in with the starter to see when I can get out? Is this common practice? What will it cost on a weekday at Torrey Pines with morning rate? ($130)

Can't help you with the non-resident pricing, but you should do well at Torrey as a single if you get there reasonably early. I usually show up as a single at courses around town and almost always get on within 20-30 mins.

Have fun, Charles.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 6590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!