IGNORED

Portland suggestions?

calvie7
Note: This thread is 4609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to be visiting Portland, OR in April. Any good suggestions? Price between $35-$50?

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

I'd suggest starting with golflnow.com hot deals. If you don't find anything then just go to golfnow.com.

There are a lot of good munies here and after looking at your hc here are some of the courses you mite like
Heron Lakes Great Blue (2 courses at Heron Laikes, both RTJ jr courses. The Grt Bl is a championship course)
Stone Creek (little outside of the PDX area, but still a very good course)
Camas Meadows (can be spendy, look for deals)
Rose City (great old traditional track best played when hard and dry)
OGA course (about 30-45 minutes south of PDX)
Skamania Lodge (look on golfnow.com otherwise pretty spendy. Up in the gorge ~30 minutes east of PDX. Very narrow, very pretty, pretty short. Good food and beer)
Indian Creek in Hood River (~1 hr east of PDX. Lots of risk reward holes, blind tee shots. Both courses (Skaminia Lodge & Indian Creek) IMO are iron players courses. I really like Indian Creek with a 35 mph west wind)

I'm fairly sure others will chime in on other courses.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5

Blades has some good suggestions. I would add Eastmoreland to the list. It hosted the publinx back in 1990. Its very close to downtown and is a good track. April can be wet and soggy in Portland and most courses will still be playing lift, clean and place. Both Heron Lakes courses are good. Skip Skamania and Indian Creek. Go for the OGA course in Woodburn if you are going to drive.

I actually might move to portland in the next 2 years , how is the season and the golfing culture like over there?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

That is the reason for our trip... We too have it on a list in the next 2 years.

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5

Blades has some good suggestions. I would add Eastmoreland to the list. It hosted the publinx back in 1990. Its very close to downtown and is a good track. April can be wet and soggy in Portland and most courses will still be playing lift, clean and place. Both Heron Lakes courses are good. Skip Skamania and Indian Creek. Go for the OGA course in Woodburn if you are going to drive.

As much as I love Eastmoreland, cuz it a great old traditional track, it needs some love'n. The greens are fuzzy and slow, the course takes a long time to dry out and the pace of play is very slow b/c of all of the >16 hc it attracks.

The greens at Skamania lodge are always very good, but it can be hit and miss in the winter b/c of the amount of rain that area gets. Interestingly enough, Cascade Locks, which is right across the Columbia from Stevensen Wa and Skamainia logde is one of the wettest places in Oregon. By contrast, Indian Creek in Hood River is a excellent winter course if there isn't any snow on the ground. Heck, in my book Indian Creek is good anytime, one of my favorites; but I like courses that make you think and work you. The OGA course is also one of my favorites and good most anytime.

I actually might move to portland in the next 2 years , how is the season and the golfing culture like over there?

We golf year round here in Portland. As long as it isn't a deluge or snow on the ground its golfable. This is actually my favorite time of year to golf cuz 1) you can use cheap balls cus the greens are very receptive and you don't need spin, 2) greens fees are very affordable and 3) the ppl who golf this time of year are ppl who love the game, so the company is usually much better.

There are a lot of good sticks here in PDX, but for the life of me I can't figure out why there aren't more money games. The best money game open to the public is at Rose City on thursdays; 15 bux a stick and 5 bux pay ball. The game is one ball, two ball with 4 man teams. They usually have 6-12 4 somes. In the winter Stone Creek, which IMO is the best winter course in the area, has a money game on tuesdays for 20 bux a stick, but will end in April.

We golf year round here in Portland. As long as it isn't a deluge or snow on the ground its golfable. This is actually my favorite time of year to golf cuz 1) you can use cheap balls cus the greens are very receptive and you don't need spin, 2) greens fees are very affordable and 3) the ppl who golf this time of year are ppl who love the game, so the company is usually much better.

Thats surprising that you golf all year round. Good to hear. I thought winters in the pacific NW are similar to what we get in the northeast. There are all kind of money games going on out here. I play in a money game on tuesday and friday evenings during the summer with a bunch of the better ams in the area. But its not club organized or anything - we just show up. Its good tournament practice because you got to shoot at least 35 or 36 to to bank. Which the ohio state kid usually wins, but whatever..

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Even though I'm an hour plus south of PDX, I can back up Blades on the year-round golfing in the PNW. Sure there are some days where it's pouring and depending on the course, drainage can be a problem, but we don't let that stop us

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Tri-Mountain is worth a play in my opinion. Probably 20 miles north of Portland or so. Not terribly tough but a fun round. Usually windy. And I can add my opinion that year round golf is possible, just a little soggy in the winter.

• 1 year later...

Camas Meadows in my favorite course. Great Professionals there (Conan Elliott) is a hero to me. Beautiful course and great people. It is a little spendy but it is challenging course. So you get your money's worth.

See you at the range!

My nod goes to Heron Lakes.  Two very different courses providing two very different experiences.  I have never played both in one day, but I bet it would be fun!  Good value (especially with the online deals) and both courses are seeing the benefits of what was a wet (even for us) Spring.

I played Stone Creek about a month ago and really liked the course.  It is a bit south for me to be a regular though.

If you do move out here, there are tons of great courses to explore within a couple of hours drive.  Of course Bandon looms large on the coast on the southern tip of the state.  They are going to add a 5th course there that is going to cater to locals.  I have yet to make the trek, but might try to get there during this off-season.

Good luck!  Let us know when you are coming out and if you need a fourth!

I'd agree on Heron Lakes. But, I'd like to put in a word for East Moreland. It has a really pretty back 9. But, yeah, as an earlier poster suggested, it can be slow on weekends. I only play there on Mondays.

Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

I'm taking a couple legitimate first timers out to play in the PDX area this coming Sunday.  Can you guys give me any info on a good course for first timers?  We were going to go to camas meadows, but it looks a little spendy/tough for first time players.  Any advice on a venue would be more than appreciated.

I would suggest either Rose City or Eastmoreland for first-timers.

There are a few par 3 courses that are supposed to be interesting/fun: Edgefield and Eagle Landing.  (Haven't played either)

Originally Posted by billk86

I would suggest either Rose City or Eastmoreland for first-timers.

There are a few par 3 courses that are supposed to be interesting/fun: Edgefield and Eagle Landing.  (Haven't played either)

Thanks.  Eastmoreland looks perfect!

Note: This thread is 4609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!