IGNORED

Swing Video

zmad
Note: This thread is 5205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My swing, please give me any feedback! I esp. have a hard time staying balanced as you can see after some of the shots, What is the reasoning behind that?
Thanks in advance!

Some assorted points to make here. Others will have better ways of explaining it, but here's some thoughts.

I would say the reason you have problems is just basic movement during the swing. Staying still and merely turning the body back and through, with minimal arms and hands will result in the most clubhead speed, and best contact. Even so, contact comes before clubhead speed, always.

What you need to do, is learn to make a short backswing, with a long and flowing follow through. Research shows that amateurs tend to turn back further, but through less. This is where we get to the point. You turn back well, with a nice full backswing, then kind of just quit and stand up on the follow through. This is not a good thing. You need to make the follow through an integral part of the swing.

You want to learn to feel the followthrough and finish being as long as or longer than the backswing, and just as, or more important. The finish is unimportant, but you should be able to hold it, whatever it may be The follow through may happen after the strike, but it's crucial, because to get into that proper position means that you had to do the right thing during the strike. All good players have a good followthrough, all . You want to focus on making that followthrough rock solid, and steady, and don't leave your finish position until that damn ball is on the ground again.

Yes, there is an over the top move, but that can be taken care of later.

With the irons, it looks like you're standing too close to the ball. From this camera angle, it looks like the butt-end of the club is almost between your legs. Try standing a few more inches away from the ball and feel like your arms are just hanging down creating some space between your legs and the club. I think this will give you a better stance and more balance in your swing.
In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

• Administrator
Your right elbow moves backwards (look at it when the club is just past parallel on the takeaway), which lengthens the swing and causes a big re-route from across the line to a bit laid off, which then slows down your fourth accumulator (left arm swinging across your chest) so that when your left arm is parallel to the ground on the downswing, it's already parallel to your foot line as well, so you need to stand up and lean back in order to hit the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your right elbow moves backwards (look at it when the club is just past parallel on the takeaway), which lengthens the swing and causes a big re-route from across the line to a bit laid off, which then slows down your fourth accumulator (left arm swinging across your chest) so that when your left arm is parallel to the ground on the downswing, it's already parallel to your foot line as well, so you need to stand up and lean back in order to hit the ball.

Oh,

how did I miss that? Actually, that's a really good call actually, that makes a lot of sense. Do you think that comes from the body movement, or that it causes the body movement? I've heard some say the hands lead the body, others say the body leads the hands. That's the problem, we have a chicken and egg situation, what causes what, and what does he change, the chicken, or the egg? Personally, I would say make swings using only the core, try to keep the hands and arms totally obedient and passive. Use the body and make short swings, almost like pitches, and just let those hands travel around the body, but don't force them, let the body lead them around. This trains you to keep the arms acting in the proper, natural way.

Personally, I would say make swings using only the core, try to keep the hands and arms totally obedient and passive. Use the body and make short swings, almost like pitches, and just let those hands travel around the body, but don't force them, let the body lead them around. This trains you to keep the arms acting in the proper, natural way.

This is what I was thinking. Looks like the arms get behind him a bit and right elbow disconnected.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

All you guys may be right but I'm afraid you are diagnosing domino number 5, 12, 56, or whatever...As we all (should) know, one compensation leads to another....we must first deal with the fist domino. Set Up. This guy must first address his set up. The first thing that comes to mind is that it's possible we're improperly fit. Have we outgrown our clubs? Your irons sit flat at setup and you appear to really struggle to address the ball properly. When was the last time you were fit? I'm reluctant to offer swing advice in this situation.

All you guys may be right but I'm afraid you are diagnosing domino number 5, 12, 56, or whatever...As we all (should) know, one compensation leads to another....we must first deal with the fist domino. Set Up. This guy must first address his set up. The first thing that comes to mind is that it's possible we're improperly fit. Have we outgrown our clubs? Your irons sit flat at setup and you appear to really struggle to address the ball properly. When was the last time you were fit? I'm reluctant to offer swing advice in this situation.

The problem is, most golfers are

never fit. Heck, I've heard tons of people, both on forums and in person, say that fitting is a "crutch." As to why all the tour pros are fit I ask, they respond that they're not good enough to get fit like tour pros. I don't get that attitude. Fitting is easy, cheap, and does more good that any amount of expensive game improvement clubs. Properly fitted blades are easier to hit than improperly fitted game improvement clubs, at least in my mind. Fitting is huge, and you will never, ever, ever, ever, ever play good golf with clubs that don't fit. But that being said, there are some major hurdles besides fitting. As I said earlier, the best thing is to set up and merely turn the body. Most problems are solved when you make a good, proper turn. I find that most players begin to get more comfortable in the setup position when they start to turn better. In order to turn properly, you must be set up properly, and if you start to turn, you will feel resistance and your body will automatically start to adjust its position at setup. The proper setup position is an athletic position that is pretty universal among sports, with the exception being that we're bent over. When one starts to turn their body like a large cardan joint, they seem to fall into this rather naturally.
This is what I was thinking. Looks like the arms get behind him a bit and right elbow disconnected.

Yes, the only way to get the arms out of the swing is to teach the body to get into it, or at least that's my feeling. My swing used to be long, and all arms. Now it's short, 15° shy of parallel or more, yet I clobber the ball farther than I ever did with my long arm swing.

I can't tell if your head is moving to the right of the ball in your backswing. The slide of the hips to the right (if it's there) leads to all sorts of problems, losing balance would be one of those... Could you post a face-on video too?

I appreciate all the advice so far.
I have NEVER been fit for clubs, I am very new to golf and am using clubs I was given.
How can I fix the breaking of my elbow on the backswing? I have been trying to work on making the swing more about my body (shoulders, chest, core) and less about my hands and getting too handsy. It is one of those things that I feel is going to take time as I am so use to hitting the way I feel comfortable, however wrong that is. I appreciate all the advice so far, and keep it coming, I am glad to have the help of so many people. I will try to get a few more shots in, and both an dtl view and a face on. Unfortunately it will problably won't be until this weekend. Working 2 jobs and taking a full load of classes is tough to fit golf into. Keep the critique coming!!
Thanks

Making videos is the first step, and probably one of the largest. The hardest thing to understand is that you have to really make a large change to see a difference. If you merely do what most people do, and make a minute change, you'll never get better. In order to progress, you need to make a change so large that you can't hit the ball at all for a while. When I change my swing, it takes about 30 swings before I can catch one center face, and then only about 1 in 10 of the next 100 are center. That's what makes golf so hard, you have to get worse before you can get better. When you change to a proper body swing, you'll shank, duff, skull, and smother tons of balls before your body adapts to the swing, that's normal.

You need proper equipment. To listen to these jackleg hacks around here with their swing advice is the WORST thing you can do with misfit clubs. Quite obviously, these particular clubs do not fit you. You can do several things besides buying new clubs. The lie angles can be adjusted and shaft additions can be added to your clubs. They could be shortened too, but that's not your problem with these clubs. DO NOT spend a large amount of time with these misfit clubs. It will only handicap you...not to mention the horrid swing compensations you will acquire trying to hit a decent ball. Please consult your local PGA pro. Please DO NOT continue to listen to these fools with their swing advice around here...fix the first problem before you attempt to fix something else.

Go see your PGA pro first . This is my business. This is what I do. I am 100% correct. Anybody that disagrees with me is not worth talking to. Find me one single PGA pro that tells you any different and I'll fly down there and fit you myself. This is a forum...don't take everything you read to heart...lol

To listen to these jackleg hacks around here with their swing advice is the WORST thing you can do with misfit clubs.

This is pretty ignorant. You are one of the "jackleg hacks" giving him advice here, and he came here asking for it. Club fitting is a major priority, but his clubs are maybe 1° flat, maybe a touch short, nothing huge. He said he's new to the game, so he will need some time before he determines whether or not he will go out and buy all new fitted clubs.

Until then, just listen to the advice you've heard, make small swings with the body, and learn to get the arms out of the swing.

This is pretty ignorant. You are one of the "jackleg hacks" giving him advice here, and he came here asking for it. Club fitting is a major priority, but his clubs are maybe 1° flat, maybe a touch short, nothing huge. He said he's new to the game, so he will need some time before he determines whether or not he will go out and buy all new fitted clubs.

Did I say anything about buying new clubs? I did not. Sorry if you misunderstood me. It takes about 12 seconds to bend a hosel to a correct lie angle.. Are you a PGA member? Remember what your job is as a member, if you are one. I'd be glad to write the PGA a letter, if you like... I'm sure they would be happy to enlighten you... again.

Did I say anything about buying new clubs? I did not. Sorry if you misunderstood me. It takes about 12 seconds to bend a hosel to a correct lie angle.. Are you a PGA member? Remember what your job is as a member, if you are one. I'd be glad to write the PGA a letter, if you like... I'm sure they would be happy to enlighten you... again.

12 seconds to bend some hosels. Not all clubs can be bent, and not all clubmakers will bend all clubs. Fitting is important, but when someone has just taken up the game, and needs to make a major change, fitting should wait a bit. If his hosels can be bent, then he should have them bent, but if not, he'll need new clubs, and if he works at improving his swing a bit, his new clubs can be made to reflect his newer, better swing.

12 seconds to bend some hosels. Not all clubs can be bent, and not all clubmakers will bend all clubs. Fitting is important, but when someone has just taken up the game, and needs to make a major change, fitting should wait a bit. If his hosels can be bent, then he should have them bent, but if not, he'll need new clubs, and if he works at improving his swing a bit, his new clubs can be made to reflect his newer, better swing.

I see your point. I just do not agree. That's ok, though. I'm not always right.

And either are you. PGA member?

I see your point. I just do not agree. That's ok, though. I'm not always right.

Dude, what is up with you and "PGA members". PGA pros are not sages, and they aren't always right. The guy came here for advice, that's what we gave him, end of story. You are in the wrong place if your only response is "go see your local PGA professional." What if he doesn't have the cash to piss away? Not everyone can just go see a pro on a whim.

Dude, what is up with you and "PGA members". PGA pros are not sages, and they aren't always right. The guy came here for advice, that's what we gave him, end of story. You are in the wrong place if your only response is "go see your local PGA professional." What if he doesn't have the cash to piss away? Not everyone can just go see a pro on a whim.

Sorry, young man. Obviously you think you know more than people that do it for a living...Maybe this is just a forum for weekend warriors like yourself to discuss swing

tips that anyone can hear from their playing partners...And not a learning website with professional advice . But at 26, I thought the same way as you do. I totally understand. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Note: This thread is 5205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!