IGNORED

Going Under Par or Even Par

Note: This thread is 5284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well everyone thanks for the advice. I shot 40 on my front nine. Then i started the back nine eagleing the 10th hole. After that I knew there was a chance and completely shut out the thought of going under par. I took the rest of the round one shot at a time. I hit every green in regulation and birdied another hole to finish 3 under on the back nine! bouncing back from a 40 to a 32!

R9 10.5 Aldila Voodo Stiff
S9-1 3W Stiff
Baffler 20 Degree
AP2 (3-PW) KBS Stiff
Vokey Design (52,56,60) Redwood

Well everyone thanks for the advice. I shot 40 on my front nine. Then i started the back nine eagleing the 10th hole. After that I knew there was a chance and completely shut out the thought of going under par. I took the rest of the round one shot at a time. I hit every green in regulation and birdied another hole to finish 3 under on the back nine! bouncing back from a 40 to a 32!

How the hell are you a 6 handicap? Hmm....

Haha anyways I'm glad I could help (probably not my comment but I'd like to think so). Great round!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I assume that the scores you've been blowing are on the same course. Your home course, even? Therefore, it's safe to assume that at some stage you've hit the perfect drive, approach, chip etc on every hole at some stage....

DRAW ON THOSE MEMORIES

I know at my home course, the 8th (very tight driving hole, OOB within 2 metres of the fairway) I stopped aiming away from the OOB (into the trees, hoping for fade) and started aiming straight, with desregard to the OOB, my score or anything. And I keep hitting the fairway....

Draw upon the good shots you've hit. THAT, is mental strength.

Big Bertha 454, 10* reg
904F, 15* Dynamic Gold S300
Tour Special, 18* reg
DCI 962, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold R300
X tour wedges, 52* and 56* 8881 putter Pro V1's for the momentBlogging my "Quest for single digits" every week.

I've subscribed to this thread. Last round of the summer was 42/37 rounds and a couple weeks before that I started my round with 4 straight birdies and still ended up with a 38 on that side. Boo!

Hopefully reading these tips will help. My motivation came last summer when while playing with a guy I taught how to play (over 3 summers) and now breaks par - when the hell did he lap me?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

A few years ago I got down to three and was consistently shooting around par or better 71's 72's on a regular basis. I even shot a 69 to tie the amateur course record (at the time) and missed a 6 footer on the last for a birdie, damn!

But anyway I am starting to get back into golf and I am adamant that the only thing that is stopping most people from breaking that golden barrier is between the ears. So I am working on stripping back my mental aspect of golf to the bare minimum.

If someone asks me before a round, "what is your aim today" my answer is "hit the 1st fairway". I am trying to work it so that every shot is considered as an individual rather than a group of 70 or so shots. If you stand on the 1st and think "right, i'm gonna shoot 3 under today" you think, gee that's tough and you put pressure on yourself from the start. Now how much pressure is there on you to hit the fairway, far far less. Then once you've done that you can think, "right, i've got to hit the green now" and build your round from there.

Also with that ethos you can compensate for bad shots, if you do, say hit one up a tree your next aim will be, "get it back in play" rather than, oh boy i need to be 2 under at the turn and i'm 1 under after 6 I need to hit a Seve shot here to stay on course and then run off a double by taking on a far too risky shot.

Now I know this is far easier said than done, but this is something that I am determined to work at and want to get myself into this mental state. Then you can almost measure your success by how many goals you achieved rather than you real score and eventually the scores will come down.

Good luck everyone.

From the top:

R9 TP Driver Stiff 9.5deg
R9 TP 4-Wood Stiff 17deg
X-Forged Prototype 3-9 Stiff (rifle flighted) 48deg, 52deg, 56deg, 60deg CG12 Wedges Newport Longneck TeI3 One Black

Note: This thread is 5284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!