IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

(edited)

Initial swing after warming up. In general, could do backswing better. After reviewing this, I slowed things down, and did some practice working on feeling hands less deep at A3, club steeper at A3, and right elbow hinging better. 

That was the last ball, and probably the best swing. The backswing feels about 50%-60% swing speed. Fast enough that I can feel what my hands and club is doing in the backswing and not let it get out of control. I was just feeling club face rotates open slightly from A1 to A2, then feel like the hands go more up with a hinge, back of left hand faces out at A3.

A good thing is, I can feel when the hands fling around me, and get deep from A3 to A4, causing the club to cross the line at the top. I always like when I can start feeling new versus old when I practice. Just means I am exaggerating stuff. 

Just comparing the two swings

At A3,

Steeper, and hands about 4-5 inches more forward. Using my right shoulder as a point to measure from. 
Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 3.36.14 PM.png  Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 3.36.22 PM.png

At A4,

Club is pointing much more down the target line. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 3.36.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 3.36.31 PM.png

Something else I sprinkled in for about 20% of the work was starting the downswing sooner, and feeling the backswing slows down at A3. At A3, I start my rotation down. I felt it best in my lower body, my left rotating.

I also was trying to make sure I wasn't on my heels at address. A bit more upright, and a bit more feeling like my head and down more, and I am over the balls of my feet more. 

Edited by saevel25
  • Thumbs Up 3

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Halfway decent short game practice today at lunchtime. Pushing to many shots, but contact is good. No thins, or chunks. Trajectory control is meh. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

So, putting and short game was much better today. No 3-putts, made a few putts (so less than 2 putts per hole) of good length. No extra shots around the green. 

Full swing wasn't as sharp. Off the tee is pretty decent. When I hit driver, I was in play with a decent shot at the green. My iron play was meh today. I had two shanks, both on tee shots. Overall, probably a C- today. Back to the range for some more work. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Very slow swing. Maybe a bit too slow. It got a bit janky at the top when I tried to time the downswing for the slow swing. In general, the issue I am seeing in my videos is that the hands are in front of the right shoulder at A3, and the clubshaft is more steep, but from A3 to A4, the hands whip back and around me. Its a struggle to control the hand movement in that part of the swing. 

Checked on FO view and saw I wasn't doing my tilt thing well. So, worked on that for a bit. Could just do that better in general. 

• Funny 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Go back to what we did in January or February.

Or let’s get GEARS #2 scheduled.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Go back to what we did in January or February.

I'll take a look a the notes and videos I have for a refresher. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

Face On View, working on feeling the right side extension in the backswing. Trying different feels and checking video. The video is me focusing on feeling my right shoulder going up and behind my head. I think it is the easiest one for me to do consistently and control my overall turn and swing length. I wasn't really focusing on swing length (how far the club goes). 

For how much I turned, I will take how far the club traveled in this swing.

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 1.25.11 PM.png

I did work on the hand path in transition as well. That is going to be the one thing that will need a lot of slow swing work. That feel is just awkward as hell. I can only try feeling that move so many times before my right shoulder starts to burn from a muscle work out. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• To update on some feels. 
  • Slight grip change, just got the right hand more on top. The grip is still in a strong position, but (v to my right shoulder), but just feels less under the club. 
  • Set the club sooner with the right wrist and elbow bend. Club is actually 90 degrees at A3.
  • Feel like the head stays really steady, and the left shoulder gets under the chin. 
  • Feel like I keep the ball in my sight all the time in the backswing. I have a bad habit of trailing the club back. 

A DTL

• This one, I was trying to feel the club more vertical at A3, with hinging the right wrist and elbow sooner. Back of palm out, with club more vertical. 
  • If I start the downswing a bit sooner, the club is not nearly across the line. 
  • Could do the hand path stuff better at A4 to A5

From the FO View, I think the axis tilt looks better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Worked on the axis tilt stuff and also trying to shorten my swing. 

1. For the axis til stuff, similar to my most recent post on it.
2. For backswing length. Feel the swing slows down at A3. Start forward turn at A3, or just before A3. I am using my site on the ball to help me time this. I am starting my downswing before my head gets turned away from the ball by my turn. At that point, I fire through with my right hip/side of the body. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I hate my short game. It’s totally fine when I practice but one or two holes it goes to shit on the course. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Switched to pitching right hand only. Much better. 😜

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

When I work on the axis tilt piece, if I feel my head turn to the right when I exaggerate the feeling. So, if feels like my left ear drops towards the ground, at this position it gets really hard to turn in the downswing, even trying to do slow swings. I think finding a way to get the axis tilt, while maintaining my head orientation towards the ball will help. When I keep my head position stable, contact and turning forward is much easier for me to do. 

The hand path stuff is still difficult to do for me. Need more slow swing work on this. 

On a side note, I tried hitting a few shots with my left eye closed, and trying to keep the ball insight of my right eye the entire time. Of course, not focusing on anything but that doesn't due much for what I want my backswing to do. Contact was super good. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Good. Do that for awhile.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So, today is what I call hitting rock bottom with my golf swing. It is a come to Jesus moment for my golf swing.

It is time to buckle down and be way more serious and smart about improving. It is going to start with shortening my swing. It has always been the evil bad thing lurking in the darkness ready to destroy my swing and the work I have done on my swing.

For me right now, a semi functional shorter swing is feeling like my swing stops at A2.5. That feel actually might put the club slightly past parallel. The backswing feels like a fraction of a second for me. I need to get to the point were the length of the backswing is more inline with actually feeling the hands at A3-A4, and the hands and club are stoping at A3-A4, so I can transition at the right spot. This is going to be just a lot of slow swing work.

In working on this, I probably will not be posting much here. I am going to base how successful I can get it to be on video. Like, at some point, can I make 10 swings at 70% swing speed, with all of them being good swing length. 

Off I go, to slay my over swing nemesis! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Did the 30+5 practice session. 

Worked at like sub 50-60% swing speed. 

Worked on backswing length. Making swings where my head didn’t get turned by my backswing and still making sure I’m getting hinge in my wrist and elbow. 

I liked actually closing my eyes and really focusing on keeping my head still. With this, I would make a backswing and when the turn stopped, I would look to where the club is at. Every time it’s at A3.5 at the most. Also doing this, I felt a stretch in my left shoulder area as it resisted the turn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went up to Golf Evolution for a practice session. Got to get onto the GEARS for good while. 

Mostly worked on how much my right elbow bends, basically I was bending the right arm too much. It didn't help that my left elbow likes to bend a ton from A3 to A4 as well. My left arm will go from 15-degrees, which feels like it is straight to like 30 degrees at worst. My right elbow was getting over 105 degrees of bend from straight (past 90). I need to keep the right elbow in the low 90's, and not let my left arm gain that much bend.

This a product of how much I overturn (overswing), and how late I hinge the club. Hinging a bit earlier makes it easier to keep my right arm at an acceptable range of bend with out feeling like I still need to hinge the club via more right elbow hinge and left arm bend. 

The biggest thing for me was towards the end when Erik helped me out with some swing length sequencing by working on stopping my swing at a 90-95 degree shoulder turn.  

Basically it was...

1. Make a good chest turn keeping my head in the same orientation it was at impact. It will move a bit, but it isn't being turned a ton or swayed a huge amount by overturning. 

2. Stop the arms when the turn stops.

3. Pause there for a second or two.

4. Swing down.

It is kind of stupid how much you can absolutely obliterate the ball doing this if you flush it. 

This will help out in two ways, first is training swing length when playing. Second, it will let me train the backswing properly with the correct swing length in mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

GEARS video

Face On, Backswing - Pause - Rip IT! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The biggest thing for me was towards the end when Erik helped me out with some swing length sequencing by working on stopping my swing at a 90-95 degree shoulder turn.  

Yeah. Honestly, you may have done more and got more and learned more in the last 30 minutes than the previous 210. 😉