IGNORED

My Swing (kennay92)

kennay92
Note: This thread is 4840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by golfyboy4

It seems your stance is a little wide.That could be why your coming ott with an open face causing your slice.

i dont slice a lot though. It only comes into at the end of my round really when im getting lazy and or tired. But ill try narrowing my stance a little and see how it goes thanks :)

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

First thing I'd work on is your attitude. You're asking for help, but dismiss it as soon as you receive it.

1. Your backswing looks pretty good. A lot of people, me included, would kill for your flexibility.
  2. Your transition to the downswing is also great with a nice bump of the hips forward.
  3. About halfway down it starts to unravel... Your hips stop driving forward, your left arm bends, and you loose your lag.

I'd recommend:

1. Keep driving the hips downrange. Feel like your hips are going outside your stance while your torso and legs stay put.
  2. Maintain your lag. Really feel like you're pulling the butt of the club towards the target. Erik has some pretty good post regarding "the flying wedge" and "The Pure Ball Striker" that will help.

This is where your hips stop moving forward.

Looking Good

But look what it does to your swing:

2.jpg

The result, all lag lost.

3.jpg

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Originally Posted by The Gill

First thing I'd work on is your attitude. You're asking for help, but dismiss it as soon as you receive it.

Your backswing looks pretty good. A lot of people, me included, would kill for your flexibility.

Your transition to the downswing is also great with a nice bump of the hips forward.

About halfway down it starts to unravel... Your hips stop driving forward, your left arm bends, and you loose your lag.

I'd recommend:

Keep driving the hips downrange. Feel like your hips are going outside your stance while your torso and legs stay put.

Maintain your lag. Really feel like you're pulling the butt of the club towards the target. Erik has some pretty good post regarding "the flying wedge" and "The Pure Ball Striker" that will help.

This is where your hips stop moving forward.

But look what it does to your swing:

The result, all lag lost.

I wasn't trying to disregard his advise, i politley said thanks and that id try and it. And thanks a lot for your advise to, pictures are greatly appreciated. I do have the pbs so ill continue using that along with trying to keep the hips moving like you said. The problem i had also while looking at it is that i cant stop my head from moving forward when i move my hips forward. Any tips/ideas on this?

Don't straighten your left leg so early. Practice taking practice swings (without a club) with your head on a post. You can also have someone hold a club next to your head. You should feel quite a stretch (maybe not you with your flexibility) in your left oblique once your hips move and your head stays put. Dave from Evolution Golf has a good video on YouTube.

Originally Posted by kennay92

I wasn't trying to disregard his advise, i politley said thanks and that id try and it. And thanks a lot for your advise to, pictures are greatly appreciated. I do have the pbs so ill continue using that along with trying to keep the hips moving like you said. The problem i had also while looking at it is that i cant stop my head from moving forward when i move my hips forward. Any tips/ideas on this?

Don't straighten your left leg so early. Practice taking practice swings (without a club) with your head on a post. You can also have someone hold a club next to your head. You should feel quite a stretch (maybe not you with your flexibility) in your left oblique once your hips move and your head stays put. Dave from Evolution Golf has a good video on YouTube.

Link to the video? And do you mean i should feel the stretch on my oblique once i start my downswing with my hips and start swinging through with my upper body?

• Administrator

Link to the video? And do you mean i should feel the stretch on my oblique once i start my downswing with my hips and start swinging through with my upper body?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You do it with a side tilt. Look at Hogan. Pay attention to his left knee, hand position, and tilt of his torso:

2006-04-12_091808_hogan_impact.jpg

You do it with a side tilt. Look at Hogan. Pay attention to his left knee, hand position, and tilt of his torso:

Thanks to both for the picture and video postings.... And to the side tilt, every time i really feel like im keeping my head behind the ball and really moving my hips through, creating a side tilt. I always end up chunking it. Thoughts? thanks for the help again.

• Administrator

Thanks to both for the picture and video postings.... And to the side tilt, every time i really feel like im keeping my head behind the ball and really moving my hips through, creating a side tilt. I always end up chunking it. Thoughts? thanks for the help again.

95% chance because your hips aren't going forward and your head is going backwards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

95% chance because your hips aren't going forward and your head is going backwards.

alright thanks erik.

Looks like Erik beat me to the punch by 2 minutes on the video. Thanks for editing my post Erik

Judging from your video, you're loosing lag which causes you to hit it fat. Your torso being so tall up and down and your bent left arm is actually a compensation for the lack of lag...

Look at your pictures again.

• If your left arm was straight, you would have hit 4 inches behind the ball... Compensation for lack of lag...
  • Look how relaxed your shoulders are in your first picture (i.e. your shoulders are down). Now look at your last picture and see how scrunched up you are. It's like somebody kicked you in the pills. Now compare that to Hogan. He looks relaxed and powerful. You scrunching up because if you were relaxed, you'd be hitting behind the ball... Another compensation.

You mentioned that your flaws happen at the end of the round or when you get lazy. Trying to hit with a bent left elbow and scrunched up shoulders takes a lot of effort and concentration. When your back and shoulders are tired from carrying your sticks all day, they can't stay scrunched and maintain all your compensations.

Long story sort, driving your hips forward is not making you hit it fat. It's just making your swing different enough that your regular compensations can't work.

Looks like Erik beat me to the punch by 2 minutes on the video. Thanks for editing my post Erik

Judging from your video, you're loosing lag which causes you to hit it fat. Your torso being so tall up and down and your bent left arm is actually a compensation for the lack of lag...

Look at your pictures again.

If your left arm was straight, you would have hit 4 inches behind the ball... Compensation for lack of lag...

Look how relaxed your shoulders are in your first picture (i.e. your shoulders are down). Now look at your last picture and see how scrunched up you are. It's like somebody kicked you in the pills. Now compare that to Hogan. He looks relaxed and powerful. You scrunching up because if you were relaxed, you'd be hitting behind the ball... Another compensation.

You mentioned that your flaws happen at the end of the round or when you get lazy. Trying to hit with a bent left elbow and scrunched up shoulders takes a lot of effort and concentration. When your back and shoulders are tired from carrying your sticks all day, they can't stay scrunched and maintain all your compensations.

Long story sort, driving your hips forward is not making you hit it fat. It's just making your swing different enough that your regular compensations can't work.

So all in all what ive got from all y'alls help is that:

I need to keep my head back/still and keep driving my hips forward.

And to maintain my lag which will straighten out my arm and keep me from compensating.

Is this correct?

Hi, everyone I am new to the forum and very excited about finding it. FYI, I am a former golf professional who has roughly 5000 teaching hours under my belt. The Gill is onto something with your lack of "lag". However I would call it an early release, or loss of hinge. I am also a firm believer that all things happen at impact have a "root" cause. Most incorrect golf swing motions are a series of compensation for faulty address fundamentals

Lets trace the steps:

At the top of your backswing your arms are too long (more than 45 degrees in relation to your body) and you have excessive wrist hinge (more than 45 degrees). This leads to loss of hinge and bent left arm at impact. Why? When your top position is too long your brain tells the club and arms to go first to compensate. Make that over-compensate.

Why is your top position too long?

This is because of poor posture at address and overly strong grip and "long thumbs". These faulty address fundamentals allow over-hinging of the wrists and over swing of the arms. Why? The more bent over you are the longer it takes your arms to meet with your pectorals in the backswing. A stronger grip with long thumbs also creates no resistance, allowing for too much hinge.

What do we fix first? Grip and setup.

First, rotate your left hand counter clockwise until you only see 2.5 knuckles. My guess is you currently can see 3.5 or all four knuckles at address. Then retract your thumb towards your body. This is a short thumb. Your should be able to hold a dime in the crease between the thumb and hand. Sorry, this part is hard to explain.

Second, I want you to focus on getting your chin and chest taller. Lift your chin at address and puff your chest out.

The bad news? You are looking at three more months until impact will be fixed, maybe six. Try out the address changes and then we can start to fix your top position. The good news? If you are fit and athletic (which you appear to be) the top position will improve because of your improved grip and posture.

Looking forward to people ripping apart my theories. That is why golf instruction is so much fun. Also, post your age, handicap, and long and short term golf goals.

RB

age 18, HC is to the left in my info box. Short term goal- Have one of the top 4 scores in all my golf tournys for highschool on our team. Long term- Play to scratch or lower.

That's a hell of a first post.

Originally Posted by reb68

Hi, everyone I am new to the forum and very excited about finding it. FYI, I am a former golf professional who has roughly 5000 teaching hours under my belt. The Gill is onto something with your lack of "lag". However I would call it an early release, or loss of hinge. I am also a firm believer that all things happen at impact have a "root" cause. Most incorrect golf swing motions are a series of compensation for faulty address fundamentals

Lets trace the steps:

At the top of your backswing your arms are too long (more than 45 degrees in relation to your body) and you have excessive wrist hinge (more than 45 degrees). This leads to loss of hinge and bent left arm at impact. Why? When your top position is too long your brain tells the club and arms to go first to compensate. Make that over-compensate.

Why is your top position too long?

This is because of poor posture at address and overly strong grip and "long thumbs". These faulty address fundamentals allow over-hinging of the wrists and over swing of the arms. Why? The more bent over you are the longer it takes your arms to meet with your pectorals in the backswing. A stronger grip with long thumbs also creates no resistance, allowing for too much hinge.

What do we fix first? Grip and setup.

First, rotate your left hand counter clockwise until you only see 2.5 knuckles. My guess is you currently can see 3.5 or all four knuckles at address. Then retract your thumb towards your body. This is a short thumb. Your should be able to hold a dime in the crease between the thumb and hand. Sorry, this part is hard to explain.

Second, I want you to focus on getting your chin and chest taller. Lift your chin at address and puff your chest out.

The bad news? You are looking at three more months until impact will be fixed, maybe six. Try out the address changes and then we can start to fix your top position. The good news? If you are fit and athletic (which you appear to be) the top position will improve because of your improved grip and posture.

Looking forward to people ripping apart my theories. That is why golf instruction is so much fun. Also, post your age, handicap, and long and short term golf goals.

RB

Originally Posted by reb68

Be forewarned, I would not make these changes if you have any tournaments within the next month. What did you think of my post? Confusing or helpful

Spoke a little to late, already tried implementing all the changes i have been advised (including yours) in the living room lol. But not confusing at all. The posture and grip was fairly easy, but when i did the top of my backswing thing, creating that 45* angle, it felt like a whole new swing (good feeling though, not bad feeling). I know you said it would take a long time to learn it, but i definatly already felt what you were talking about.

Note: This thread is 4840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!