IGNORED

Cold weather makes tough golf!

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 5098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, I played 18 on Saturday ( tee off at 10am ).

What a difference cold weather makes. I could NOT get comfortable standing over the ball and shot a 50 on the front 9 ( worst 9 holes in a long time ), then when it warmed up, I shot 39 on the back.....I was so annoyed afterwards, knowing that my front 9 ruined a chance of a good score.

Anyone have any tips about keeping tempo and getting comfortable in the cold?

The only good thing about it was I hit all but one fairway...it was my irons that i could not get comfy with!

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I played Sat morning here in Detroit with a 7:00 am tee time. It was roughly 50* with 40 mph gusts and off and on rain. Worst conditions I've ever played in. It looked like the scene from Caddyshack. We only made it through 9. So yes cold sucks. Cold, rain and wind really sucks!

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

One would think somebody from Calgary would have the answers, not the questions!

Although global warming seems to be creeping into the Mohawk Valley, traditionally there have been two seasons, winter and July 4th. The Mohawk Valley gets less direct sunlight than anywhere on the North American continent, except for a few places surrounded by high mountains. I play in the cold a lot.

First, lots of layers: Undershirt plus silk undershirt or long sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweater and wind proof jacket. Silk long johns or sweatpants plus regular pants. A Gortex rain hat (pretty warm!).

Second, walk, don't ride.

Third, hit more club than normal.

Fourth, always have a pack of hand warmers in your bag to lend to the sissies in your group so they'll stop grousing about cold hands, brought on by their inappropriate clothing choices.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

One would think somebody from Calgary would have the answers, not the questions!

Hey now, I am a New Zealander LIVING in Calgary!

Kieran, where did you play? I was supposed to play a quick 9 at Confederation Park, but there was a frost delay so I decided to cancel.

FT-5 driver
Fybrid 3 Wood
Idea Tech A4OS 3&4 hybrids
Idea Tech A4 Forged 5-LW
588 DSG 56 wedge Carolyne putter Grom bag

Strathmore.

They charged us full rates ( $75 ) even though there was snow on the course.

I won't go there again for a few months.

I played Sat morning here in Detroit with a 7:00 am tee time. It was roughly 50* with 40 mph gusts and off and on rain. Worst conditions I've ever played in. It looked like the scene from Caddyshack. We only made it through 9. So yes cold sucks. Cold, rain and wind really sucks!

50* isnt cold. You cant really call it, "cold" until it downs into the 30s.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

50* isnt cold. You cant really call it, "cold" until it downs into the 30s.

50* with sun and a light breeze is pleasant. 50*, sopping wet and 40 mph winds I can promise you is plenty cold. ;D

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I also played here in Minneapolis on Saturday (2PM Tee-time, never really warmed up though). We were playing a Links style course, so there weren't many trees on the interior holes to keep the wind down, it was rainy and cold. I was wearing a Polo T under a sweatshirt and I was also wearing a fall jacket over that. For the first couple holes, I played like crap, With all of that stuff on, I didn't feel I could make a solid swing at the ball. So I decided to remove both the jacket and the sweatshirt and bear the cold. I shot 49 on the front due to the first 4 holes being a double-bogey, double-bogey, triple-bogey, double-bogey. After removing all that stuff, I was able to turn my score around, especially on the back-9 where I shot a 42. I was pretty happy with the 91 after such a crappy front nine. I only wish I had removed my extra-layers earlier, as I had felt I was playing pretty well after all of that. My hands remained cold pretty much the entirety of the round (which I despise while playing golf).

Driver: 907 D2 10.5 - Diamana Blue 65 Shaft
3-Wood: 906 F4 15.5 - Graphite Design YS-6+ Shaft
5-Wood: 906 F4 18.5 - Diamana Blue 75 Shaft
Irons: Rac TP CB Irons; 5.0 Flighted Rifle Shafts, 1 degree flat.
Wedges: Rac TP Black 52:08; 56:12Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - 35"B...

50* with sun and a light breeze is pleasant. 50*, sopping wet and 40 mph winds I can promise you is plenty cold. ;D

Agree to disagree...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Found that out in 1988. Moved to Florida, problem traded for how to play well in stifling heat and boring sunshine. But at least I get 12 months a year to work on a solution

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Note: This thread is 5098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!